CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brakes running hot

aptyp

Dunno what I did wrong but after installing Vesrah (green) pads on my 99, the front wheel is not completely free to spin. I can feel the brakes dragging lightly and slowing down the wheel when on the front stand. Went for a short ride to see which side is grabbing harder and both rotors are equally hot so they are both dragging.

So it would appear the new brakes are dragging enough to cause all sorts of friction. Should I wait for the brakes to "brake in" (pun intended) or do I need to tear everything apart to see what the hell I did wrong?

Big ride on Friday and I need to figure this out in time! HELF!

Sticking calipers maybe, bad install maybe, pads not sitting quite right, i would do it again and put a little copper brake grease on the backs of the pads, and press in the pistons a little on the calipers to make sure it's all free'd up ok.

Iain

I've learned to take new pads and sand them on sand paper on a flat surface before instalation. The finish from the factory is very rough and causes the dragging you have now.

You can just use them and wait, but it took too long for me. I can't stand the dragging brakes feeling.

Take the bike for a short, 3-5 mile ride, where you can come to 10 or so easy stops.

Bring it home, and re-check the drag on the rotors. If the front end is still hard to turn, you may have to remove the shims on the back side of the pads until the pads bed in enough to make room to re-install them.

A short run won't ruin your rotors, but a highway blast definitely will. :shock:

Ok, maybe all of this is in my mind... I dunno. The bike rides fine and I can move it around like usual but when I get off and feel the front rotors they are too hot to hold on to for more than a split second. Is this maybe normal and I just never paid attention to it?

Also I'm just thinking about just buying another set of vesrahs and replacing these. Just don't want 30 dollar pads to ruin 150 dollar rotors... ugh... this sux.

Your rotors are definately going to be hot. Think about it. Brakes work off of friction. Friction generates heat. My brakes drag too. I think a bit of drag is normal. You could however have some sticky pistons. You might clean everything up really well with brake cleaner and see if that helps. Unless you are having trouble stuffing the brakes back up into the calipers I dont thnk they are too thick. I could be wrong though. I assume after putting the new pads in but before touching the brakes the wheel spins freely. Then you probably have to pump the lever a couple times to get the piston to move back out far enough to engage the pads after which you have the drag. If that isnt the case then disregard everything I said. :grin:

It's common to remove the shims from the back for a few hundred miles, then re-install when the pads are bedded in and worn a bit. At very worst you might get a little brake squeal from time to time, but it won't hurt anything.

Mike