CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch Bleed HELP

Suf Daddy

I'm wondering if the Master Cylinder has a leak at the end of the piston where the lever attaches. TINY bubbles come up from the piston area under the resevior, once and a while.....

I've gravity drained, cleaned and put ~14oz of new fluid through the clutch resevior.

I've bled the system by using a clear hose on the

bleeder screw.

Pull the clutch lever, Hold in........open slave bleeder screw, watch fluid come out, close bleeder, then release clutch lever.

Do again and again and again..more than 14 oz worth over 3 attempts.

No clutch action.

Amount of brake fluid discharged varies on bleed attempt.

In other words, sometimes a little comes out and others its 3x more fliud in the clear line.

Any BTDT on what I'm doing wrong?

No Mity Vac here. Thinking of a reverse bleed somehow.

-Suf Daddy

We had the same problem. Ended up taking the hose right off the bleeder screw and just used a wrench on the nipple it self.

Mu buddy would open the nipple and I would squeeze the clutch lever. He would tighten it up and I would release the lever. Just like doing brakes on a car.

That was the only way we could get all the fliud and air out.

Ken

You have to bleed the master cylinder. Turn the bars all the way to the right, top off the res and just ever so slightly work the clutch lever an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Just enough to move the piston. when the bubbles stop coming up through the res wait about 5 minutes and repeat. Once you get to air out of the master you'll start to feel the clutch and can finish bleeding the system.

Hope this helps

D

I'm liking this idea........

I put the clear hose from the slave bleeder STRAIGHT up to the handle bars. Therefore, I had a liquid seal around the screw and lifted a good amount of fluid straight up like a mercury thermometer.

Any other tips?

Thanks guys - Suf Daddy

before:

Slave468Resv.JPG

You have to bleed the master cylinder. Turn the bars all the way to the right, top off the res and just ever so slightly work the clutch lever an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Just enough to move the piston. when the bubbles stop coming up through the res wait about 5 minutes and repeat. Once you get to air out of the master you'll start to feel the clutch and can finish bleeding the system.

Hope this helps

D

In all seriousness dude, If this is what you found when you popped the cap you may want to consider a complete teardown to be safe. I hope the brakes didn't look like this.

I was trying not to get any of the junk into the piston area.

I get 2-3" in the tube each crack of the bleeder screw consistantly now.

Gonna keep trying.

I just noticed in the photos a part is missing!

Next (left) to the horseshoe ring in the

Slave468Resv.JPG

center of the photos is a "clip" its not in there right now.

Slave472.JPG

It seems to go over the pin hole next to where the piston draws in fluid.

This clip an issue?

Q: Frozen slave piston?

In all seriousness dude, If this is what you found when you popped the cap you may want to consider a complete teardown to be safe. I hope the brakes didn't look like this.

I believe that clip is like a splatter shield for the relief hole. (keeps the master from cumming in your face with the cap off.)

Let's step back a minute..

Do again and again and again..more than 14 oz worth over 3 attempts.

No clutch action.

Will the clutch engage and dis-engage?

If the piston was frozen and not dis-engaging your clutch lever would feel like the brake lever.

If you've got some of that crap in the slave and it's preventing the piston from returning to rest it'll be like you're holding the clutch in all the time.

Do this, put the bike on the center stand and put it in gear, try to turn the rear, it should not turn. Then pull in the clutch, it should turn.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dion dived in head first on this one but (acredit to both Dion and Honda) the junk in the res was a wild goose chase.

nestreetriders.com: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/showth...&threadid=11079

Slingblade: "You've bled the lines out, but there is an air bubble up top.

You need to crack open (loosen) the Banjo bolt up top. Put a rag underneath it (DOT4 fluid will MESS UP paint...) and slowly squeeze the clutch and just before its fully closed, tighten the banjo bolt back. Then clean up the mess; and retorque to spec

You'll want to rebleed real quick at the bottom.

I fought the same thing, took me a few minutes to figure it out."

YUP HE'S RIGHT ON. Two cracks TWELVE SECONDS later and I'm shifting and not spinning the tires at rest.. All's okay.

Thanks for the help!

-Suf Daddy

DOhhhhhhhh

I think I hear the sound of the pieces of my broken balls hitting the floor :shock:

You got me Suf, I'guess I'll hafta bring the chocolate syrup to NEXXT.

DAMN :!:

In all my years I've never seen fluid that bad :shock: Been working on cars and bikes a long time.

You sure it was brake fluid?????????

Glad you got in there and changed it out.

Little U shaped metal thing IS a blast shield, I think only Honda does this.

If you squeeze the lever really fast with the cap off and low fluid level it will shoot 2 ft high all over your paint.

Thanks for the info and chuckles "Gents."

The bike is new to me in Aug of last year.

I've only done less than 200 miles, mostly in 30 degree weather.

Working out the kinks.

The clutch worked fine with all that junk in there. I HAD to post a web site about the fixes and THOSE reservior photos. AMAZING.

The biggest one was the one link bind in the chain.

New sprocket, tires, chain and clutch bleed and this things RIGHTEOUS !

29K 1997 BBird.

:poke: The PO was a car saleman from AZ :poke:

Not sure if it can GEL like that on its own.

I suspected Transmission fluid or that the seller was gonna make my $2,000 bike a little more expensive. - Suf Daddy

DAMN :!:

In all my years I've never seen fluid that bad :shock: Been working on cars and bikes a long time.

You sure it was brake fluid?????????

Glad you got in there and changed it out.