CBR1100XX.org Forum

Single exhaust or dual??

control1

Hello all,

I was approached with an offer to purchase a full Two Brothers single can exhaust with a kit to match at a very very reasonable price. My question is what will I gain or lose with going to a single pipe versus dual?? I love the sound from the 2 Bros. dual, don't want to lose that. Presently, she bogs when under 3k rpm's and comes to life @3.8k. I am thinking and have been told that this is a lean burn issue and shims will have to be installed to correct this. She also sputters and pops a bit around 3k when in 6th and cruising. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

control1

Carbed bird right? Sounds like a lean stumble till your main jets kick in at mid RPM. You're probably running a little lean even then.

You'll have to jet the bike if you put a single side pipe on it. The full systems are a bit more effiecient than the stock header with slip-ons. You'll probably get a higher pitched sound out of the single can as opposed to the deep sound from the duals. A full system will usually give you more HP in the upper rev ranges and drop some weight from the bike. If you want to keep the centerstand, you'll have to make a bracket to hold it down from the chain. The stock exhaust has a bumper on the left side of the bike where the pipe goes up to the muffler. A single can exhaust doesn't have anything on this side as all the piping and can are on the other side.

Yes she is carbbed 97' vintage and fast ass BLACK. :razz: I noticed when I had the header off before that 1&2 exhaust ports were sooty black and 3&4 were ashy grey color. Any comments as far as 2 Bros. is concerned??

I'm running an Akrapovic full single sided system on mine (99 and fast ass black as well) and love it. I've heard very good things about the 2 Bros pipes and a friend of mine runs a full system with a round alimnum can on his 97 bird. He's rejetted it and it runs great. Higher pitched than the duals and he doesn't have his centerstand attached to the bike. Good quality pipe

I'll be out of town this weekend.The following weekend (July 17-18) I'll be at the strip in Huntsville with a friend and his bird. My bike will be appart and I won't be able to race. I'll probably only be there on Saturday, but it is the biggest bike drag race at Huntsville all year. The 7-11 club is hosting their yearly all bike shootout. Lots of Faaaaaast bikes will be there.

Haven't been to the King of the Hill, The 7-11 is pretty big with some top riders and machines. I'd like to be there on my bike and maybe take home some money, but it'll be apart awaiting some new BLING :cool:

If you go with a single sided exhaust can I just suggest getting a nice lockhart phillips chain gaurd...

I think the bike looks kinda 'unbalanced' with a single sided exhaust unless you pretty it up with a nice aftermarket chaingaurd.

Personally, on bike like the XX, the dual pipe looks in place....

The single exhaust doesn't appeal to me that much. On bikes like the R1 or 954 , it's a different story - not sure why....

The dual exhaust seems to sound "deeper" too. More bass sounding....

Unless it's the D&D.... then it's just loud !!!

:poke: :fingerflip: :twisted:

What Nik says is the truth. My stock chainguard looks real plain with no can to cover it up

Ditto....going to one can and a full system takes some getting used to at first. I cleaned up the left side of the swingarm with a carbon fiber hugger/chainguard from someplace in tx. (carbotech?). Jet the bike (use a Factory Ti kit) and put the full system on and you'll be grinning from ear to ear :cool:

What Nik says is the truth

QOTW!!!!

Unless it's the D&D.... then it's just loud !!!

:devilfinger:

Ride Loud Ride Proud!!! (Oh WAIT.. that's a Harley Slogan) :bigpuke:

I've always liked the balanced look of dual exaust, or under seat better yet!

On my 650 Nighthawk I put on a 4 to 1 and never liked the bare side.

Exaust came with a bracket for centerstand though. (Supertrap) :cool:

I forgot to mention that my MPG's are around 30 is that about right for a carbbed bird?? The reason I asked this is, if I go any richer won't I lose some more of my MPG?? ( not that is a deciding factor on whether or not I will ride but I thought she would get better than 30).