CBR1100XX.org Forum

100W Headlight?

Obby

Warchild,

was just looking at your site and saw the Philips H780W Rallye bulbs mentioned...what's your experience with them? They are tough to find but I'd really like the advantages they seem to offer over the 55W bulbs. Thanks!

Jim

I dont know what year bike you are rideing but on my 97' you dont have to remove any screws. Just slide the black rubber boot off and you should see a silver clip that you push in a little and swing back.  

The whole base unit of the bulb should slide right out.

Ken

beware, the top bulb, which is the low beam, is a bitch for any other than slim hands to get to, without removing any plastic - so if you are thinking a quickie change out of the low beam, think again :shock: (just changed my low beam last night for that reminder)

oh yeh, don't forget to remove the wire plug BEFORE you pop the rubber boot off :grin:

I seem to remember threads on 100 Watt bulbs.

Guys that had problems melting the bulb adapters cured their problems by first coating the bulb connections with Silicone Dielectric grease.

Lets not start up the "womans hands" thread again.

I just bought a set of 70w H4's and was told they were correct for my bike. Is this wrong? Am I going to have to go postal?

Edit;

I did get the H7's sorry. For info purposes I bought the Street Glow, Xenon look (white). I had the 100W Street glows on my 12, and they were outstanding for the 7500 miles I put on her. I will post info on the 70's by this weekend. J

It all comes down to how efficient a light bulb really is. There is nothing to prevent a genuine 100W get a 100W sticker rating but really oly be throwing out 60W light and losing the rest as heat. By rule thumb most bulb are only 50% efficient.

Stick in a really ineficient 100w bulb pumps out 65 w heat and 35 W light and you get less light and more warmth around the campfire. Grease doesn't fix this. Grease helps make heat transfer easier perhaps to some sort of extrernal heat sink either naturally in the frame or from elswhere.]

A quality buld gets more light and less heat and last longer, runs cooler too. Tell me where I can get one of those and we'll all be very happy.

Grease doesn't fix this. Grease helps make heat transfer easier

If I recall (I have not had the problem) Others who had the problem... it was not with the bulbs melting anything, but rather with the electric 'connection' melting.

Presumably, because their was not a good connection which caused more head from the innefficiency of the connection. The dielectric grease made a better connection, and then the connector didn't have the problems melting...

The heat convection from the bulb itself was not the cause of those melting problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I am debating getting a pair of the Philips Vision Plus or one Vision Plus and one Philips Blue Vision... not sure which bulb to use in which spot... maybe the blue in the high beam for aestetics and the brighter bulb as the low beam as it is always on...

Anyone have any feedback on the Blue Vision? I have read the negative experience w/ the PIAA with blue tint... maybe best to just get the bright ones..

Was the difference made by switching to the Vision Plus worthwhile over the stockers?

-r3ckl3ss

The blue tint added to standard halogen bulbs does two things.

1. Oncoming drivers see a light that appears less yellow than standard bulbs.

2. Your view of the road at night is reduced because the tint blocks out some of the available light.

So, do you want to see better at night, or just look cool to oncoming traffic?

• 1 month later...

my high beam is a 90w white i've been running for about 34,000 miles.

i can't remember who makes it, it's some no name brand cheapy, i figured i'd use cuz the high beam is easy to change out. who woulda known it'd last this long!

i have a 2002 fi.

I emailed him to see if he carries any H7's for the Bird.

If you mean the EuroDezigns / eBay link I posted, I've got a pair just waiting to be installed. They're 55 watt (doesn't say in the eBay ad or on the package). Hope to get some time to install em' tomorrow.

• 5 months later...
beware, the top bulb, which is the low beam, is a bitch for any other than slim hands to get to, without removing any plastic
Are we going to have the "woman's hands" thread again...?

Even with the all the plastic removed the top is a PITA to get out. I guess other than needing those "woman's hands" you may want to practice some yoga before attempting getting anything larger than a stick in there. Maybe my arms are just a lot longer and don't have the bendable nature but it sure pained me to changed that top bulb.