CBR1100XX.org Forum

The 5 qt. Mobil 1 is here!!!

Pete in PA

For the first time I found the 5 qt. Mobil 1 15-50 in Wal-mart. $18.88 Got sick of hearing about it from left coast guys.

Bought 2! :grin:

I think these things start on the west coast and move east, can anyone in marketing verify this?

Damn, I have not found the 5qt in Walmart yet. Will have to check the next time I am out of town. Been looking for quite awhile now.

Ken

:pointup: How the hell do you guy's find this stuff? That was funny. I am never going to be able to have a straight face in Walmart again.

Ken

Pete, I have never used Mobil 1 before but after hearing all of the noise about it---Friday, at Wal-Mart, I pick up my 20-50 Pennsoil that I always use ($6.88) and see the Mobil 1 for $18.88. I got the Mobil. Always looking for more HP. My clutch better not slip or I will be sending the chickens. :)

I don't think so Don, but they got a pretty good display of WD-40 multi-purpose lubricant, cleaner, marital aid, cooking oil, chicken marinade, and sometimes, Dave's favorite mouthwash!!! :lol:

No, Wally World doesn't sell the MX4T. That's at Auto Zone for $8-9 a qt. :shock: :shock:

After reading the oil analysis article from moto. consum. news. There is no difference. EXCEPT $4-5 a qt.

I accept no responsibility expressed or implied, your clutch life may vary, live long and prosper, may the force be with you.

Serriously, my clutch will expire right along with yours. But with all the guys running this stuff I don't think it will be a problem.

I keep hearing all this stuff about Mobil 1 being so superior and hold it's viscosity etc. But what about it's shear capabilities ? Bike specific oils are manufactured with that in mind. I've been using Bel-Ray oils (Synthetic and Dino) for the last 20 odd years in all my bikes with nothing but excellent results and no failures due to a lubrication issue, and yes, that includes Moto-X, Class C, Superbike and Formula 1 racing way back when. I would like to see some test results showing how Mobil 1 stacks up against products such as Amsoil, Motul, Bel-Ray, Silkolene etc., high end, bike specific oils. Anyone have a link ?

Howie

Bike specific oils are manufactured with that in mind.

(COUGH)bullshit(COUGH)

Old wive's tale spread by oil marketers to justify charging double or more. It's well proven. See the oil FAQ in the FAQ section of the site for links, test copies, etc. Mobil 1 is used by all the long-distance guys; people with a couple 100k miles on their Gold Wings and beemers, and all the high-mile sport bike riders I know. I sold my last bike with 130k miles, nearly all on M1.

The fact that it is excellent is undisputable at this point.

From comments Carlos has made on the cbrlist and the info that is on this site regarding Mobil 1 15W50, I recently made the decision to switch from Honda oil to Mobil 1. After making the change, gear changes are definately smoother (of course, they are always smoother immediately after any oil change) and have not felt any slippage in the clutch.

Bottom line is that I don't really notice any mechanical or performance improvement, but my wallet really likes the savings. YMMV

So does the 15 - 50 have moly in it???? And it doesn't bother the clutch????

Yes M1 15/50 has a small amount of moly in it.

The moly has not made my clutch slip in 15k miles, if it did I would go back to a semi-synth or dino and the slip would go away....

Pete in PA if we ever meet IOU a beverage of your choice...

Sad but true confession

I troll Walmart on occasion for the sole purpose of scoring the 5QT red label Mobil 1 15/50. As well as other items for M/C purposes.

The camping and marine sections are target rich in M/C purpose items....

Walmart has not had these in the Dallas area in over six months, since last fall when I stocked up..

I went to Wallyworld and scored (4) 5QT red tops plus several other items for about $100 or the cost of the first and last time I took a bike to a dealer for an oil/filter change.

The buzzards had already begun to pick the red tops from the fray of blue and green tops.

I literally whooped at finding red tops on the end cap....Glad no one was around.

He shoots he scores. Scored all the items on my list in one store tonight...

Jim