CBR1100XX.org Forum

a question about moving walls...loadbearing?

buettner

Alright...I have a couple questions about loadbearing walls.

Are there any good books out there that discuss loadbearing walls? I understand the facts of maintaining the load if working on a wall like that. But how do you know if you have a two story and one of the walls in the lower section would be moved?

Would I be better off getting a contractor in to do the work or is it not that complicated.

I figure that while the kids are gone for the summer I may plan on rearrainging some of the walls in the house.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I want to build a new computer desk/tabletop. Just really looking for four legs and a top. I want a good sized top, probably 36x60. I have an old sears table saw, thought I might look at a planer and build it out of 1x6 or 1x8. I am sure I would need a jointer also to make sure the sides are flush. Does Harbor freight have some low cost semi quality items to get the job done?

Depends on a couple of things,

Generally if you look in the basement and see which direction those joists are running the upper floors will run the same way. This means that any interior walls running parallel to the joists are not load bearing unless they are under and opening for something like a stairway. In this case it's most likely supporting the boxed opening and will have to be replaced with a beam or post at the opening to take the load.

Any walls running perpendicular to the joists are most likely load bearing. this all depends on the size and span of the joists.

Simple example. Your house is 32 feet front to back and this is the direction the joists run. the joists are 2x10 @16inCenter. You probably have a wall running left to right down the middle of the house with maybe an opening or two through it. this is a load bearing wall because the joists are probably only 16ft long and don't run in one piece front to back. You can remove this wall but need to take the load with a beam.

If you can post some kind simple sketch with the exsisting layout and what you want to do I can give you an idea of what you're looking at.

D

What about if the house is on a slab? When you are talking about the joists, would that refer to both the floor and ceiling joists? Thinking about it now I may need to verify where the pilings are under the slab before moving a loadbearing wall as that could put added weight on concrete that was not engineered for such. (that might lead the job to be benched until the house needs to be leveled).

Dion,

When I get around to deciding on where to move the walls I will shoot you a PM if you don't mind to look over a couple drawings to see what you think.

Thanks

Charles

Is it one story or two story?

If it's one story you may have a truss roof and may not have an issue.

Most slab houses take the load around the perimeter. so unless they did something fancy you may be able to do whatever you want

Dion

Send sketch any time Charles.

Charles Be safe hire an engineer to look at it. No disrespect to Dion sounds like he knows exactly what he is talking about. Or a knowlegable carpenter friend would be able help. But as Dion said perimitter walls are load bearing, also if you have central stair case, one wall either side is usally load bearing as well. Would help to know if it's one or two stories? trusses for a roof, Etc. Good luck. :hammer:

Peter.