CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hitch ball holder goat rope

SwampNut

I use the same old high temp pink-ish wheel bearing grease I run in my hubs, ball joints, tie rod ends, and everything.  I keep a tub around in the shop and a tube in the grease gun.  Learned that from the long haul truckers that lube the every loving shit out of their fifth wheels with that stuff.  I lube the inside of the hitch itself on my trailers, not the actual ball.  Learned that from YO MOMMA 🤣

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45900-Adjustable-Trailer-Receiver/dp/B004SMGAJ6?th=1

run this one on my company truck, has 12" ;) of adjustment which is helpful with the different trailers that we have around the company. They also sell single ball mount tongue (I swear they make this topic sexual) that will give you several more inches (who couldn't use that?) of adjustment. There is even a 10" drop setup that will give you 20" total. Not cheap and at 42lbs

Mine is pretty stout, right at 32lbs. 

• Useful/Thanks! 1

9 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Hornady One Shot gun lube helps triggers and buffers, but for triggers I find that moly paste does more, probably very similar to the spray Krypt posted.  I've used the spray also, but it's been a long time.

Thanks, that was the one I bought per recommendation.

15 hours ago, Furbird said:

Learned that from the long haul truckers that lube the every loving shit out of their fifth wheels with that stuff.  🤣

Nope. Actually it is pretty retarded. It is better to keep it underlubed vs. too much grease. 99 % of that shit gets scraped off fifth wheel when you get under the trailer, and it ends up everywhere except actual contact area of fifth wheel. And there is almost always more than enough grease already on the trailer. And most importantly, grease ends on on locking jaws. Big no non.

Technically, if you wanna do it right, you should lube contact area on the trailer. 

Never, ever lubricate parts of locking mechanism with anything other than PB Blister, WD40, etc. They need to be kept clean, without thick grease/dust compound restricting movement.  Otherwise when temperature drops jaws won't move, and properly lock king pin.

When we get artic weather there will be somebody with trailer off fifth wheel sitting on the side of the road even though it did pass tug test.

You gotta get behind the tractor with flesh light to make sure everything is in place after hooking up to the trailer.

In the same sense don't ever lubricate inner legs of landing gear with grease. Use WD40, etc. 

• Useful/Thanks! 1

23 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Hornady One Shot gun lube helps triggers

I bought some One Shot because everyone talking it up here.  I found it made my knives super slick opening and it did clean but didn't last long.  So regular type lube was better in the long run.  

On 6/2/2023 at 2:32 PM, Furbird said:

Learned that from the long haul truckers that lube the every loving shit out of their fifth wheels with that stuff.

Most truckers and service places way over lube 5th wheel plates.  No matter how much is applied, once the trailer slides on there's only so much left in place.  I was taught by a lease/rental company that actually studied all the service aspects of trucks; clean, fill the grooves, and apply a bit at the leading edge to be spread across by the trailer.  Our tractors were always fairly clean around the plate, the ones in the 'normal' side of the shop that serviced customer trucks had tons of grease all around.  Conversely, their u-joints and other stuff suffered from under-greasing.  We had our own crew and did everything possible to keep normal shops from doing work on our trucks because we wanted them to last.

I think it's comical the way they use half a tube on a fifth wheel plate every time they unhook.  They just pile it on top of what's already there, which looks like the inside of a Quaker State motor with a Fram oil filter; the beaches of the Gulf Coast after the BP oil spill.

I put a glove on and put a film of grease on the inside of the hitch socket.  I also lock my hitches to the ball when I'm towing so they can't unlatch.

17 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

it did clean but didn't last long.

I find that it's ok as a cleaner, adequate if you're doing it regularly, but not as good as dedicated cleaners/solvent.  It does seem to help prevent fouling from sticking.  I've been on the fence with the longevity of the lube, but my guns get about as many miles as my bikes so I don't have a strong opinion.

It definitely wins on 'fixing' problems.  I've seen a few guns that were troublesome at the range, people tried lubing without success.  I hit them with one shot and they started running again.  There was one gun that it only slightly helped, but it was later found to have been assembled wrong; details unknown.

It's also good for BP guns.  I previously used the old school olive oil approach which does work well, but the OS is much easier and seems to help with cleanup after shooting. BP revolvers start getting gummed up around and in the cylinder pin locking them up.  An occasional squirt of OS keeps them running all day.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Most truckers and service places way over lube 5th wheel plates.  No matter how much is applied, once the trailer slides on there's only so much left in place. 

And it all ends up on air lines, cat walk, front mud guard and, eventually, on your gloves, pants, boot soles and God only knows where else. Fucking retarded.

There is a 5 gallon bucket of grease in our shop. There are always couple idiots running frantically in the morning with big stick covered with grease, and applying it on everything in their eye sight. I gave up on that type of driver couple decades ago. They are not gonna changed their behavior. 

I've never ever lubricated fifth wheel in last 30 years. Shop applies couple ounces when truck goes for PM. Thats more than enough. 

I've never ever lubricated anything other than wheel bearings on my trailer. The ball and receiver covered with grease,, ,,, it is retarded. 

Edited by tomek

On 6/4/2023 at 9:41 AM, superhawk996 said:

An occasional squirt of OS keeps them running all day.

You've fired a black powder revolver continuously for an entire day???

7 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

You've fired a black powder revolver continuously for an entire day???

Yup, it was a full auto BP revolver and I bought a pallet of pre-loaded high capacity magazine cylinders for it loaded up with magnum black powder.