CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hitch ball holder goat rope

SwampNut

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

9F72316D-1540-475B-B49A-8D981089076C_1_102_o.jpeg

Well that appears Ghetto as a two dollar whore on Nickel Night!

I tow some heavy trailers and wouldn’t trust much on that. What is the tongue rating for the hitch mounted to the Tesla frame?

Could be the pic angles, but the steel in the vertical 4” metal looks really thin?

20 inches up and another 20 inches back? Well simple geometric calculations reveal 28.5 inches long arm of bending torque it the receiver. Over 2 ft multiple by total weight of trailer and load right there. At the bolts will be even higher.

Ghetto and fail IMHO. 

5 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

…I do know HF sells trailer chains…guessing you may need longer ones…

And, don't hook those chains to those little ears at the hitch in case entire assembly decided to go for walk. 

14 hours ago, XXitanium said:

20"?

Probably 19.25, and I have the option to drop it 2" if it makes more sense.  I'll see and adjust when I get there.  U-Haul has a spec on their site, I think it was 18.5.  The contraption is ugly, but seems solid enough.  They rated it for 5k, I'll be putting less than 2k on it.  The hitch itself is a big-ass piece of metal bolted to the "frame" of the car.  Not worried at all.

rid1585152_r0_1000.jpg

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

So that's how the Chinese do their welding tests.

Imagine this on a Plaid and you step on it.  With a travel trailer, you'd just leave the shell sitting on the ground like a cartoon.

• Haha 1

It's slightly high with no load.  I'm going to remove the tailgate to see if it helps with airflow.  I'm seeing 380 watts/mile at 72 and the normal is 280.  75k battery.

Also, lowering the hitch will mean the trailer is always going downhill so it will save some mileage.

5FD73E07-BE02-4D95-B30C-3D90E466F4C5_1_102_a.jpeg

9B30CE50-6239-4108-8BB1-6AE35F8D8E5B_1_102_o.jpeg

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

Could be the pic angles, but the steel in the vertical 4” metal looks really thin?

It doesn't need to be thick, it's premium chinesium!

I looked at the same one a few months back and it looked plenty adequate, I was only planning to tow about 1700lbs., but would have trusted it with more.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, tomek said:

Ghetto and fail IMHO.

Tomek says it's fucked so now we can comfortably say that it's good for at least 3X of the measly ton that you plan to pull.

• Haha 2

If you put enough safety chain on it, the hitch may reach the passenger seat if it jumps off the ball.

Don't worry, the battery will stop it.

Edited by CALCXX
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It's slightly high with no load.  I'm going to remove the tailgate to see if it helps with airflow.  I'm seeing 380 watts/mile at 72 and the normal is 280.  75k battery.

Also, lowering the hitch will mean the trailer is always going downhill so it will save some mileage.

5FD73E07-BE02-4D95-B30C-3D90E466F4C5_1_102_a.jpeg

9B30CE50-6239-4108-8BB1-6AE35F8D8E5B_1_102_o.jpeg

Appears the cord for the trailer lights is routed into the trunk with the deck lid closed on it allowing the cord to rub on the paint? Is this Afro Engineered or am I seeing things? 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:14 PM, SwampNut said:

9F72316D-1540-475B-B49A-8D981089076C_1_102_o.jpeg

what type of lube do you use on your balls? 

I use a spray on graphite molykote, same stuff I use on rigging shackles and such at work. https://www.amazon.com/MOLYKOTE-D-321-Film-Lubricant-AEROSOL/dp/B07PT26JHL

last can I bought was $48 each... cheap in comparison of the cost of rigging equipment goes. 

Also does amazing work on AR's for lowering the trigger weight and the chatter from the buffer spring. 

• Upvote 1

Carlos is a big proponent of ball lube, I generally run them dry.  The only one I've lubed was my big boat, with almost a ton on the ball I found that it worked the nut loose pretty quickly.  I probably used moly paste, it's my go-to for high pressure applications and it takes very little so it's not messy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

Appears the cord for the trailer lights is routed into the trunk with the deck lid closed on it allowing the cord to rub on the paint? Is this Afro Engineered or am I seeing things? 

It's standard for sedans.  The controller is in the "pocket" behind the left tail light, and the trailer cord sits in the sub-trunk.  You pull it out to use it, adjust the length, close the trunk.

The lube is Permatex silver anti-sieze.  I was going to go with copper for extra bling, but forgot.  I've had several balls get damaged by running dry, though it was with much more weight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

And heeeere we go.

:D

I have tried the tacky grease and anti seize in the past, knowing full well it is there and not to touch it. Always failed and got that shit on my leg or hands.

The spray I use doesn't last that long but, isn't really messy either after dries. Better than nothing I guess. 

I did see a video where another lube was used on a ball mount but we would have to move to the pub to discuss that. 

When I was towing a lot, and when I had a tri-ball, I had these plastic covers that would slip over the balls.  Keeps them clean, keeps the grease from getting on you.  I mean, I'd still bust a shin on it, but at least it wouldn't have grease in the cut.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

work. https://www.amazon.com/MOLYKOTE-D-321-Film-Lubricant-AEROSOL/dp/B07PT26JHL

last can I bought was $48 each... cheap in comparison of the cost of rigging equipment goes. 

Also does amazing work on AR's for lowering the trigger weight and the chatter from the buffer spring. 

I wasn’t aware of its use on AR, interesting. Now $78/can. 😲

43 minutes ago, TOXXIC said:

I wasn’t aware of its use on AR, interesting. Now $78/can. 😲

Yeah, I got it way cheaper for rigging equipment then saw a video of a guy talking about it. They used it in the airforce by the case. He used it on his AR's in the video to show how much smoother his triggers were and would make you loose a pound or so on them with just the dry film spray applied.

I sprayed it in one of my buffer tubes and it slicks up the inside and calms down the chatter, 

• Useful/Thanks! 1

Carlos recommended another product which I purchased prior for use on my gun cleaning workbench....it wasn't near as expensive but was a good lube....I'm at work or I would pull it out and mention it. I like the idea of smoothing triggers out and quieting down buffer springs.

24 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

Yeah, I got it way cheaper for rigging equipment then saw a video of a guy talking about it. They used it in the airforce by the case. He used it on his AR's in the video to show how much smoother his triggers were and would make you loose a pound or so on them with just the dry film spray applied.

I sprayed it in one of my buffer tubes and it slicks up the inside and calms down the chatter, 

Hornady One Shot gun lube helps triggers and buffers, but for triggers I find that moly paste does more, probably very similar to the spray Krypt posted.  I've used the spray also, but it's been a long time.

• Useful/Thanks! 1