CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone near Beverly Hills?

I don't believe this bike is real. I think this is a scam.

I found it pretty easy to foil scammers in the past by calling their hand. I couldn't find this on the American. eBay. Doesn't mean it's not there, maybe I just didn't find it, derp.

A local friend called me one time to drive about a mile and look at a boat for him. The boat wasn't there. The scammer said it was in Nevada. The story changed a couple more times and then we pretty much blew him off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166114871129?hash=item26ad37c759:g:a-QAAOSw81tka4a5&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAu6Wxn6NQDzV02%2Fxeu0Xwe%2B1l1nUttlMHoMavETJzDaZk%2Fyy4223137s1nVl5Te%2B5eQIT5hyVOmUYuz96uadAmp8l6L4DUaLjdv4pss6Bx4p1qsXhOT08oPS6TOlvI35ZFWPda20EPNT5AkN5d6PwDuGvVp%2BFlV9IuCOV2lHGMEiv4HkbL8pfybKIofTPjjBVWhMMMdAF1IGT3GjT22nj9DVPQAsvCEgZjy5XehDXnppFqrdGdy08QZiH4DlaJwuA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-rpppmJYg

• 3 weeks later...

I have two almost complete CB900 engines. I also have near enogh to complete two other and a basket case with a CB913F overbored from a CB750F (would use one of the CB900 jugs and head).

That sandcast is worth something to the right buyer.

• 1 month later...

Bill, you do know the sand cast cases are nowhere near as strong as the die cast cases.

Pre production novelty bikes for sure. Once again, wish I had not given the rest of that 69 SOHC 750 away.

Collectors item now.

10 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Bill, you do know the sand cast cases are nowhere near as strong as the die cast cases.

Pre production novelty bikes for sure. Once again, wish I had not given the rest of that 69 SOHC 750 away.

Collectors item now.

I guess I wasn't thinking of the case strength, just the rarity.

My CBX has been up in storage for about three years now. It's bugging me that it's not home for the summer.  ...sad.

16 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Interesting.  With the Ducati 999, the R model gets a stronger sand cast case than the base and S models.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Interesting.  With the Ducati 999, the R model gets a stronger sand cast case than the base and S models.

It requires a lot more gusseting to equal the strength of the die cast cases. Die cast. no porosity.

Ducati must have undoubtedly made a mold with extra gusseting. Otherwise, no. Hope it never fractures.

Cast aluminum is extremely hard to weld. Especially if it is oil impregnated. Good luck with that.

Been down that road.

Edited by CALCXX

9 hours ago, CALCXX said:

It requires a lot more gusseting to equal the strength of the die cast cases. Die cast. no porosity.

Ducati must have undoubtedly made a mold with extra gusseting. Otherwise, no. Hope it never fractures.

Cast aluminum is extremely hard to weld. Especially if it is oil impregnated. Good luck with that.

Been down that road.

I don't think there's any inherent strength differences.  It's easier to get perfect filling with a die, but a sand cast part can come out just as good if it's done right.  Sand does make it easier to fuck up and come out with a defective part, a pressure filled die is much less likely to have voids/porosity problems.  I think sand allows for a wider variety of alloys so there's a chance you could get a stronger part from sand, but not sure.

Sand is much cheaper up front, dies are much faster and therefore cheaper for mass production.  In both cases being discussed, sand casting was used for low production.  Early prototypes for Honda, and small production for Ducati.  For the Ducati 999R engine they wanted a deeper oil sump than the normal 999, I don't know if they made other changes.  I haven't heard of 999R case problems.  I also haven't heard of CBX sand cast case problems, but I've never paid as much attention to them.  Being that it's Honda, they probably did the right things to not have problems.

Sand casting is still widely used for casting engine blocks, heads, etc.  Even race engines.  Die casting is probably more viable for bike blocks than car because of the very different shapes and sizes of the two.  Bike heads are probably sand cast, just guessing based on the shapes involved, I've never checked.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, Zero Knievel said:

Hope the guy realized that aluminum consumption has been linked to Assheimers.

That's old news, unless they've gone back to saying it does.  And from reading the comments, he doesn't pan to eat it.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, superhawk996 said:

I don't think there's any inherent strength differences.  It's easier to get perfect filling with a die, but a sand cast part can come out just as good if it's done right.  Sand does make it easier to fuck up and come out with a defective part, a pressure filled die is much less likely to have voids/porosity problems.  I think sand allows for a wider variety of alloys so there's a chance you could get a stronger part from sand, but not sure.

Sand is much cheaper up front, dies are much faster and therefore cheaper for mass production.  In both cases being discussed, sand casting was used for low production.  Early prototypes for Honda, and small production for Ducati.  For the Ducati 999R engine they wanted a deeper oil sump than the normal 999, I don't know if they made other changes.  I haven't heard of 999R case problems.  I also haven't heard of CBX sand cast case problems, but I've never paid as much attention to them.  Being that it's Honda, they probably did the right things to not have problems.

Most of this is wrong