CBR1100XX.org Forum

Free fiber add-on

Not free as in dollars, but free as in no penalty adding it to most things.  Basil seeds.  They are crazy high in fiber, and taste like almost nothing.  If you soak them for five minutes they are mushy and soft.  They can help as a binder/thickener in things.  Or just mix with juice, smoothies, or even water to consume them.  I sprinkled some into marinara, adding a little body and lots of fiber.

If you eat a bunch alone they have a slight basil taste.  Added to a smoothie or juice, they taste like nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C7PVBL1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&redirectFromSmile=1

• Useful/Thanks! 1

Basil seeds have much higher fiber than flax, and a bit higher than chia.  I'm not aware of anything this easy to add that is as high in fiber.  Basil has no net carbs, all fiber.  Each tbsp:

Flax 2

Chia 5

Basil 7

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think you're in the wrong thread maybe?  This is effectively almost a powder, a bag of tiny seeds that you add to something, not something you can have "a couple of."  Maybe you're thinking about some of the fiber crackers?  I have been eating a few new ones but don't recall posting about it.

Anyway, if I'm fasting, I'm having nothing with calories other than black coffee or tea.  I have no idea at what point, medically, a meal becomes a meal.  I'm just not going to do it.  These seeds have 65 calories per TBSP...does that break a fast?  Dunno.  But I'm also not being religious about it or setting rules, just living and leaning towards a direction without set rules.

Might as well add the crackers here too, will do soon.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

I didn't realize it was just powder.

Not literally a powder, it's a bag of ultra tiny seeds.  You can scoop it on/in most anything.  Soup, juice, almost anything.  This is what I mean by "free;" that it has no effect on these things, or minimal effect.  To me, flax makes things taste and feel weird, and it has very low fiber anyway.  Chia is also a good additive, mostly neutral.  This one is the ultimate with the highest fiber and almost no effect on the food, to me.

"Breakfast" was a glass of low-sodium V8 with a pile of these, and a bunch of Pennsylvania pepper.  Satisfying, and a great dose of fiber.  I don't even let them soak, I drink it and chew the seeds.  Some might hate that, I like it.  If they soak, they will mostly just blend in.

36FA3AFF-1A34-4736-8DFE-4A52B090BC1F_1_102_o.jpeg

17 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Well, I like basil. I bet I could put that in all kinds of dishes.

But keep in mind that the point is that it's almost flavorless.  So yes, you could put it in anything, it's mostly neutral.  That's my point about it.  I've used it with sweet oats and groats, Asian stuff, chili, soup, V8 juice, whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 4:29 PM, 02XXCA said:

Just purchased a bag, will give it a try in my favorite smoothie.

Following to hear if Chris endorses them or not.😀

On 6/7/2023 at 10:45 PM, TOXXIC said:

Following to hear if Chris endorses them or not.😀

I agree they add some thickness to the smoothie, and I had to add quite a bit of extra liquid when using two scoops I could taste the basil a little, when I dropped back to one it made it less noticeable and increased my enjoyment of the extra fiber without altering the flavors from the berries. My wife put some in a baggy and watered them and is getting some fresh sprouts.

20230608_163336.jpg

Edited by 02XXCA