CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hood Insulation Pad

Zero Knievel

Field mice had a fun time with the insulation pad in my engine compartment of the pickup truck.  Duct tape didn't do the job for fixing it.  I'd like to replace it, but finding anyone who has a replacement seems near impossible.

For a Mazda B3000 (1998), the part number is 1F60-67-661A; for a Ford Ranger (1998) the part number is L5Z16738BA.

I suppose the worst case scenario is to buy adequate material and cut it to shape with the existing damaged pad.

Any help?

Pictures? You're probably right about having to fabricate your own. Once you do...suggestion...fashion a mesh bag or some other container filled with moth balls affixed in the engine compartment. That's what I do for my old truck that sits under a cover in the winter. Keeps all the rodent's at bay.

If I had a 25 year old pick-up, I think I would just remove whatever is left of the insulation pad, and not worry about.  But that's me.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jon haney said:

If I had a 25 year old pick-up, I think I would just remove whatever is left of the insulation pad, and not worry about.  But that's me.

I 100% agree and have removed ones that were in good shape from a couple of Mustangs that I've had.

8 hours ago, jon haney said:

Get one from a junkyard. Don't pay over 50% of new price.

24 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

I'm in tears, LOL

That was a photo from the news, I'm wearing the tan jacket.  The boat owner and 'captain' is the shirtless one.  The last statement I made before going for a nap were preceded by "worst case scenario", and other than to tell the story I've never said them again.

It looked like nobody died. The gentleman with uniform-ish shirt looks like he's possibly lecturing?

The scale on the spectrum from mice ate my engine compartment, to lecture from Ranger Rick, worst case scenarios put the engine noise in perspective.

I have a couple of those phrases I don't use anymore as well.

...a "nap" nap i hope.

1 hour ago, DBLXX said:

Buy a 2023 Toyota Tacoma. 

Remove the hood insulation pad from it, install it on the Mazda. Take the mouse eaten one and put it on the Tacoma and return it. No one will ever notice. 

The Jew has spoken. 😂🤣🤭

3 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Buy Rent a 2023 Toyota Tacoma. 

Remove the hood insulation pad from it, install it on the Mazda. Take the mouse eaten one and put it on the Tacoma and return it. No one will ever notice. 

And no need to put the eaten one on it.

• Haha 1

Option one, throw it away so that it stops making a mess on the engine and forget about it.  If you really want it there's a bunch of options.  Ebay and junkyards for a good original.  Dynamat would do a great job, but I'm not positive that it would stay in that position, you'd have to check.  Or you could use one of the many generic insulations on the market.

I've heard/read many different reasons for the hood insulation and don't know how many of them are legit; protect the paint from engine heat, help extinguish engine fires, keep the sun from heating stuff so that the A/C starts cooling more quickly, and for sound deadening.  The A/C thing I'm pretty sure is bullshit, it would make such a tiny difference.  The fire retardant I'm pretty sure is also BS.  The claim is that a fire will melt the plastic clips holding it on and when it falls onto the engine it'll smother the flames. Some are glued and/or hooked in place by the metal so they're out, and even with just plastic clips I think that by the time they melt the fire's too big for it to really help.

Noise gets my vote as the reason for it.  Protecting the paint could be legit, but from my experiences it doesn't seem to actually help it.  Also note that there are vehicles made without it.  Some HD pickups, things that wouldn't normally be used as passenger vehicles, don't get it so the luxury of noise suppression seems to be the driving force.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Thanks, but no hits for my truck. I’ll take the old one off and measure thickness.  I suppose the only option for replacement will be to buy a new pad and use the old one as a template for shape and fastener positions.

16 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Thanks, but no hits for my truck. I’ll take the old one off and measure thickness.  I suppose the only option for replacement will be to buy a new pad and use the old one as a template for shape and fastener positions.

Why do you feel you need it on this old truck?

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Why do you feel you need it on this old truck?

I might not.  Just checked the pad.  It's largely intact, but the surface is deteriorating.  If there was a way to "seal" it so it doesn't keep deteriorating, that would do the job.  looks like it's a combo of glued and held in place with retainers.

You could shop around at some body shops. Go in person, do not call. If any of them have some cute front office personnel with great personality and nice tits, hit on her. You would make a GREAT CATCH for some woman, and she would enrich your life and extend your lifespan.

20 minutes ago, RXX said:

You could shop around at some body shops. Go in person, do not call. If any of them have some cute front office personnel with great personality and nice tits, hit on her. You would make a GREAT CATCH for some woman, and she would enrich your life and extend your lifespan.

And they might know where I can find a replacement pad…. ;) 

I got curious because that truck is so common it seemed impossible that the pad wasn't available so I googled "1998 ranger hood insulation".  First hit...

https://www.newautoparts.com/oem-parts/ford-hood-insulation-pad-3l5z16738ba?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9aG9vZC1hbmQtY29tcG9uZW50cyZsPTImbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2Um

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I got curious because that truck is so common it seemed impossible that the pad wasn't available so I googled "1998 ranger hood insulation".  First hit...

https://www.newautoparts.com/oem-parts/ford-hood-insulation-pad-3l5z16738ba?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9aG9vZC1hbmQtY29tcG9uZW50cyZsPTImbj1Bc3NlbWJsaWVzIFBhZ2Um

I find those too…but here’s the rub…

IMG_0603.thumb.jpeg.0c734debdbdd080d6fd517105de02ccd.jpeg

Fuck that shit.  No way that shipping charge is justifiable.  Every site claiming to have this has insane shipping charges.