CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carburettor fun

JaBr

So here we are, after not doing anything about it for 8 months TT is almost here and the bird is still having a petrol wee all over the place when started.  Last time this happened a simple tap on the float bowls sorted it out, but no, not this time.

So armed with a new set of carb seals from Litetek Carb Kits and the Honda workshop manual I set about it.  Incidentally, I had a practice run on a ZZR600 beforehand which has similar Keihin carbs.  

All of the ancillaries came of nice and easily as they should, so now we're down to the bank of Carbs to remove, it wiggles a little bit and stays completely put.  Long story short, took 2 of us to get them off and about 3 hours, lesson learned, lever from the back of the bike not the front.

The mounting rubbers are actually in pretty decent condition considering they're 27 years old although they have hardened somewhat.  Thanks to @rhubarbray for the advice about the wintergreen oil softening trick, that is definitely on the agenda.

C69E9F98-E16C-4E66-9EA8-C1169253BADA.thumb.jpeg.811f105b34bc172f5251229c15fb899a.jpeg

Surrounding area needs a clean and repaint, if there's time it might happen.

44603AEB-008E-4247-ABA4-8CDF44A74C04.thumb.jpeg.890fc9478c04070815a2dd84baa0db84.jpeg

The offending items removed from the bike

IMG_7326.thumb.jpeg.35200e4ab6d000f681e8d79264d1b973.jpeg

Look how many bits there are, hope I remember where they all go :D

IMG_7328.thumb.jpeg.8bf7c3cd0da1882e0d1533bf5514345a.jpeg

A wee bit cleaner after a swim in the ultrasonic

IMG_7327.thumb.jpeg.df875f8c2087e8730e7415d7ba4786de.jpeg

So two of them are done, 2 remaining.

Problems so far, one float bowl screw and one pilot screw had to be drilled out which was a little annoying given that I use the JIS screwdrivers and they usually have no issues, for the pilot screw I had a nicely fitting flat head driver but it shattered the head unfortunately.

Next job, find a new pilot screw 😕

Have a good one all :)

• Useful/Thanks! 1

11 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

The only thing I worry about when I had my carbs apart where the condition of the rubber diaphragms as they are pretty hard to find.  They were good.

Luckily the diaphragms seem to be in good order.  The carbs themselves were pretty good to be fair.

10 hours ago, CALCXX said:

I had the same problem with my 98. It was the fuel petcock diaphragm.

Only leaked when running.

Well once I get it all back together I'll know for sure, the fuel is coming out of the overflow pipe thankfully, not all over the engine.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got round to replying, the bird was up and running just in time for TT, went out on her twice then picked up a chest infection that relegated me to the sofa for most of the TT week.  So annoyed.  On the plus side, no leaks, carbs nicely balanced but I feel could do with a mixture tuneup, something I intended to sort during TT week but due to being ill I have now missed the guys who do it in the TT village as they went home.  Maybe next year, she pulls well, just feels like there’s something slightly lacking though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2