CBR1100XX.org Forum

So a termite flies into a wood shop -- Also in-wall insecticide tubing

SwampNut

Suddenly the word got out that my shop is a free buffet, and I see them fly in a lot.  I spray the perimeter of the house and much of the yard, looks like I need to go full retard on the spray in the garage too.

image.png

• SwampNut changed the title to So a termite flies into a wood shop -- Also in-wall insecticide tubing

I should have also asked this question.  Anyone have experience with a DIY solution for the in-wall pest control tubes?   The pros I talked to all insisted on lengthy monthly contracts that are all inclusive.  I'm very happy with handling my perimeter and spot spraying on my own.  It's not even a job I dislike.  But I'd like to also leverage the tubes (Traex/HomeTeam).  I see adapters and various DIY pumping methods.

I have wrangled with them a little.  I store some wood in the shed that is also wood and found out one thing, they love some wood and won't touch others.  Since the shed is away from the house I just nuked the crap out it and seemed to have worked.  I give it a little more every now and then.  I think I may have invited them, had wood stacked under tarp for camping for many years and they had a field day with it.  That is all gone now.

I have a lot of insect-killing wood, but also basics like Maple which they love.  And of course generic construction pine.  Today I did full retard and filled the garages with about half of what I normally use for the entire property.  Mixed at 50% extra.

I'm 90% sure they are simply flying in, as that's their breeding stage.  But just to be sure.

FYI, also check with what exterminator services would cost.  If your area is prone for stuff like this, someone coming out every few months to apply insecticide might be worth the cost…or you can learn to DIY if it’s not much to do.  Ounce of prevention and all that.

It's not worth the cost, to me.

I've been doing it myself for as long as we've lived here, minus one visit to fill the tubes.  And then they insisted that my call for one visit entered me into an "unspoken" one year contract.  Yah, nah.  I think what you missed is that I said these are flying in, we don't have any crawling things left because I spray the fuck out of the property regularly.  There is no way you could live here and not spray regularly.  You'd be eaten by scorpions.

Battery powered backpack sprayer and these...

3805E97E-F3CC-479E-B247-C08385AB44AC_1_102_o.jpeg

Which BTW, I learned should be kept indoors in most places.  They cannot get hot, or freeze, or even close to freezing is bad.  And temp change is bad.

I love and recommend this sprayer.

image.png

And this for spot mosquito control for outside gatherings.

image.png

On 5/8/2023 at 1:51 AM, Zero Knievel said:

FYI, also check with what exterminator services would cost.  If your area is prone for stuff like this, someone coming out every few months to apply insecticide might be worth the cost…or you can learn to DIY if it’s not much to do.  Ounce of prevention and all that.

Some of them are bullshit.  I was at a buddy's house who I knew had a monthly exterminator, I noticed a bunch of spider webs in the yard so I asked him why they'd fired him. Nope, he's still coming, but he said it's nearly impossible to get rid of spiders.  OK, next time he's here ask him why your buddy who does it himself doesn't have any.

I had a solicitor come here selling service, I told him that I do it, then we engaged in chit chat.  I mentioned having an insane Black Widow infestation.  "Oh, those are impossible to get rid of, but we can make a massive improvement.  Oh, no, I got rid of them entirely, it was easy.  At that point he was done trying.

4 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Is this motherfucker staring me down and giving me the finger?

image.jpeg

Nah, he's saying "nice wood, thanks buddy."  Hey man, thanks for the squirt of water, but it tastes funky.  Why do I suddenly feel kinda

Nothing lives in my yard.  These are here because they fly in, and it's only late in the day, the lights are clearly attracting them.  There's no way it can be that hard to kill everything with today's chemicals.  That TalstarP might as well be nukes.

Perhaps the pros follow the label guidelines, while I may be a bit more liberal with my mix ratios and application rate.

11 hours ago, SwampNut said:

There's no way it can be that hard to kill everything with today's chemicals.

And you wonder why you feel a little off sometimes?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Perhaps the pros follow the label guidelines

Or possibly water it down even more to save $.  When I started the Black Widow hunt I think I mixed the Suspend SC to the recommended amount and it worked.  They have a range of dilution, guessing I went middle/upper range.

12 hours ago, OMG said:

And you wonder why you feel a little off sometimes?

I'm fine, I always smoke a cigar and drink a beer while I do it.  The label says that eating, smoking, and drinking during the application are prohibited.  I only do two of them.  I'm good.

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

They have a range of dilution, guessing I went middle/upper range.

I skim the 50 pages of dilution rules, key on the biggest one, and then a little more to be sure.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I skim the 50 pages of dilution rules, key on the biggest one, and then a little more to be sure.

At first I was being a jew and didn't want to waste it because it's kinda spendy for such a small amount of stuff.  When I realized that it's only gonna cost around $20 a year to be bug free I stopped caring.  I've just been spot treating for a long time, but will probably do another full perimeter hosing soon to get ahead of the little bastards. 

In the ultimate hoard/toss stories...

Last weekend I emptied my sawdust bins.  Today I was doing something that required filling some large holes.  The best filler is...wood glue mixed with sawdust.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SwampNut said:

In the ultimate hoard/toss stories...

Last weekend I emptied my sawdust bins.  Today I was doing something that required filling some large holes.  The best filler is...wood glue mixed with sawdust.

Inexpensive wood filler…and you make what you need rather than buy a tub and toss what you don’t use if it sits too long after it was opened.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I was tinkering with the Jeep and wanted to replace the thermostat, but didn't wanna drive to the store.  Hoarding paid off, I had the right size and temp NIB Murray thermostat sitting in a parts bin.

Anti-hoarding fuck you; A couple months ago I tossed a bunch of brand new lug nuts that happen to be the exact OEM type used on the Cherokee, and this one needs several. 😠

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed these were just stone flies, which are apparently a new thing here.  Last year we had an invasion of black beetles.

And now our usual summer critters are out.

814F0E54-10B9-4FF7-9A71-102089C6C81F_1_105_c.jpeg

Isn't the fuzzy spider cute?

9o1xtyz7wb1b1.jpg

The fuzz is 2500 babies.  If you mess with her, the army attacks.

5vman9o2uj1b1.jpeg?width=1170&format=pjp