CBR1100XX.org Forum

My "small engine fuel" experience.

superhawk996

image.thumb.jpeg.4897d58511d9f5fbcff22fca696d5a2b.jpeg

I inherited a few cans of 4 and 2 stroke, no clue how old they are.  Yesterday I decided to use some in the lawnmower and was surprised.  It smells like race gas, both the liquid and the exhaust.  That was a bit surprising 'till I found out that it's made by VP.  The big surprise was that the engine had a noticeable gain in power, I assume because it's E-free and the mower is jetted pretty lean for CA emissions.

I've got some super old Colman gas that still works in lanterns, I'm gonna give that a try next time just to see what it does.

Edited by superhawk996

I have a similar one in the yard blower.  Which I never use and should sell/give away.  Anyway it's always worked great, smells great, and seems to have infinite life.

Also, great to see that you keep the fuel next to the black powder.  You wouldn't want a SMALL explosion.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Also, great to see that you keep the fuel next to the black powder.  You wouldn't want a SMALL explosion.

I wondered hoped it wouldn't take more than one reply to comment on that.  There's also several flavors of smokeless and other flammable liquids just out of view to make sure to giterdone good & proper like.  Probably some random ammo in there too.

2 hours ago, Furbird said:

Little ammonium nitrate and that could be West Coast Waco.

It's not the bomb making kind, just the fertilizer kind, and it's on a different shelf so all good.

42 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I'm sure that it is stored in a fire locker.     😉

Being that it's full of flammables and explosives, it's a fire and bomb locker.

12 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I'm sure that it is stored in a fire locker.     😉

Our local regs for black powder say a 1" wood cabinet of any kind, NOT metal and not sealed.  To prevent it being a bomb.  I have 3/4" cabinets, will have to do.

On 5/7/2023 at 12:15 PM, SwampNut said:

Fastest way to spread vegetation killer.👍

On 5/8/2023 at 6:29 AM, SwampNut said:

Our local regs for black powder say a 1" wood cabinet of any kind, NOT metal and not sealed.  To prevent it being a bomb.  I have 3/4" cabinets, will have to do.

Along with the rest of the legal mumbo jumbo, the national code says that one isn't allowed to possess or store more than XX amount in one place.  By "one place" I believe they mean the property, but if read differently I'm almost compliant by spreading out all over the property.  I don't know what my local limits are, but I know they've been greatly exceeded.

I thought that was locally regulated, not national?  Or maybe, here's the regs unless locals want it different?  When I looked into it the local one was something like four pounds max.  LOL, that's like half of a shipment.

There's the national fire code limit, and each locality can have their own.  From recollection, the national limit is up to 20# of black in a wooden box of 1" thickness.  It appears that there's no provision for loose cans of black.  For smokeless it's up to 20# without enclosure, and up to 50# with the 1" box.

After selling a bunch I'm pretty sure I'm below 50# of smokeless, but definitely not below 20.  Pretty sure I'm below 20# of black, but I'd have to gather all the cans and weigh the keg to know for sure.

Oh, and apparently if a locality establishes a limit it's actually a law and not just a fire code violation which apparently carries no criminal punishment.

Edited by superhawk996