CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honest insights on modern pickup trucks.

Zero Knievel

13 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Well if your truck is like the Ranger, if doesn't have front springs.

The front struts use coil springs.  Since I see no issues with the front end, I shouldn’t need to replace the strut or replace the springs (which is possible in many vehicles).

42 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The front struts use coil springs.  Since I see no issues with the front end, I shouldn’t need to replace the strut or replace the springs (which is possible in many vehicles).

Oh I forgot you have a 2wd.  In the 4wd there are no front springs.

19 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Oh I forgot you have a 2wd.  In the 4wd there are no front springs.

No front springs?  I call bullshit.

20 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

The front struts use coil springs.

Struts?  I call bullshit again.

And I'm open to be corrected by both you guys because off hand I don't know what they're using and I'm feeling too lazy to search it.  My guess is that the 4x4 uses torsion springs instead of coil springs and that both use shocks, not struts.

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

No front springs?  I call bullshit.

Struts?  I call bullshit again.

And I'm open to be corrected by both you guys because off hand I don't know what they're using and I'm feeling too lazy to search it.  My guess is that the 4x4 uses torsion springs instead of coil springs and that both use shocks, not struts.

Yes torsion bars, I don't call them springs.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:53 AM, Zero Knievel said:

How many miles are on the truck? Have you ever put shocks on? It? Might be worth considering.

On 5/4/2023 at 7:19 AM, Zero Knievel said:

With “new” meaning $40K minimum, some work will be money well-invested as it’ll be a few years before I’m ready to actually sign papers.

coworker just bought a brand new crew cab 5ft bed Tacoma for $28k this past week. 

deals are out there to be had, 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of shocks.

That’s why you buy the kind with lifetime warranties.  Mine are easy to replace, so no biggie if others would last longer.  Thankfully the guys at the auto parts store give no fucks about how many free sets I’ve gotten since the first one.

8 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

coworker just bought a brand new crew cab 5ft bed Tacoma for $28k this past week. 

deals are out there to be had, 

Maybe, but I HATE shopping.  Just going to see new vehicles in person fills me with dread.  And you’re talking tens of thousands vs a few thousands for a vehicle I rarely use.  Ideally, my next new vehicle will replace the Prius and pickup truck.

• 8 months later...

Just got my 2018 F150 XLT super crew back from AAA inspection they said one of my front shock is leaking and suggest replacing spring and shocks all around ( I believe the shock is part of springs). They wanted $3,400 to replace all around. I am like WTF!!! You they repalceing with Fox racing 6in setup😂

A leaking shock is no biggie, especially if it's the kind of leak I usually see after a shop inspection where it's just damp.  If it's dripping down the side, then you should start planning for a replacement.  No need to do all 4, but doing the pair is highly recommended.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, googus said:

Just got my 2018 F150 XLT super crew back from AAA inspection they said one of my front shock is leaking and suggest replacing spring and shocks all around ( I believe the shock is part of springs). They wanted $3,400 to replace all around. I am like WTF!!! You they repalceing with Fox racing 6in setup😂

Did he give you that estimate while wearing rubber gloves, and holding a box of dry condoms?

• Upvote 2