CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honest insights on modern pickup trucks.

Zero Knievel

17 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost

I personally didn't care for the truck when new, but it is one tough truck. 

It sure sounds like it.

I did a search in a for sale area, first one that came up had 150k on it, just replaced engine with 70k motor. 😄

Mike, did you even consider a Nissan Frontier?  The new ones look great, but if reliability is your goal, get a gently used one with the 4.0 V-6.  You would be hard-pressed to find another engine (and probably transmission) with a better record of reliability.  Good power, reasonable gas mileage, no turbos.  They have been around so long, there is plenty of used and after-market parts available.  I have a 2017, and my son has a 2007 we bought from my MIL.  Mechanically, they are almost identical, save for mine having the extra 4x4 power train stuff.  The 2007 has 155K.  Just put new coils on it.  The A/C seems to have lost its freon all of a sudden, but haven't diagnosed that yet.  Was working great just before winter.  Only big issue was a catalytic convertor that's innards crumbled.  Mechanic shop wanted $2900 for one side.  With parts from Rock Auto, I did both sides, and all 4 O2 sensors for $700.  I reused the secondary cats, after a good cleaning.  With proper maintenance, and your driving style, 200K should be a cake-walk.   

Nissans have had consistently bad reviews of late.  Don’t know of anyone who has been happy with theirs lately.  Maybe their trucks fare better.  Last time I looked at one, it was nice, but didn’t fit right.

Edited by Zero Knievel

31 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Shipping was about $150.

That seems way too much.  I just put in 2 springs but not the other stuff at Rock Auto and shipping was $57 but it's too late now I guess.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Nissans have had consistently bad reviews of late.  Don’t know of anyone who has been happy with theirs lately.  Maybe their trucks fare better.  Last time I looked at one, it was nice, but didn’t fit right.

Bad reviews for what?  Being ugly?  You didn't say it had to be an eye catcher.  Don't confuse the trucks with anything related to a Nissan with a CVT trans.  And the 4.0 V6 is mostly pre-Covid, I believe.

All I have ever heard of ON THE FRONTIER is some electrical gremlins related to the radio and HVAC system.  Nothing worth a recall.  You know Furbird is THE source for all Nissan knowledge here, right?

What you think FUR?  Based on what Mike said he was looking for, the Frontier seems to "fit the bill", no?

Edited by jon haney

4.0 was bulletproof.  Only problem was the radiator, which would break internally and mix the trans fluid and coolant, but that was mostly limited to the Pathfinder/Xterra.  I can tell you the entire time I worked there we replaced a grand total of one (1) 4.0 engine and Nissan flew a engineer in to find out why (hadn't even made it to it's first oil change.)  They tore the engine down and the robot had lined up all the rings on a single piston so it was consuming oil.  The trans issues on the Pathfinder/Xterra were huge though so Nissan extended the warranty on them (I believe) to 100k but the damage had been done by then.  Lotsa pink milkshakes came through the shop in my day.

CVT issues are early changeover models, people refusing to come in for updated reprograms (that whole "the dealer's only out to rape me" mentality), and refusal to EVER CHANGE THE DAMN FLUID or putting in/topping off/changing with the wrong fluid.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Nissan made a specific move to get the sub-prime credit buyers, and as a result, also gets the people who can't/won't take care of vehicles.  I can't say that's the ONLY issue, but I can say that for sure people in auto repair say neglected Nissans are a thing.  In fact, there's a sub for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NissanDrivers/

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

FYI, I just dropped $800+ for new rear springs and hardware.  Shipping was about $150. :(

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7587

You got robbed.  And you coulda done air bags for much less money, probably had a much easier installation, and gained more than the new springs will give you.

18 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

well there goes two new truck payments or part of a down payment at least

With “new” meaning $40K minimum, some work will be money well-invested as it’ll be a few years before I’m ready to actually sign papers.

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

You got robbed.  And you coulda done air bags for much less money, probably had a much easier installation, and gained more than the new springs will give you.

The debate between helper springs, new springs, etc. came down to the issue that if the OEM springs were shot, it would be better to replace them with good springs than patch with helpers or supplemental parts.  Cost-wise, the money wasn’t that different.  I’m replacing with the strongest springs compatible with my truck.

As far as shipping goes, you take what they offer.  I don’t know why some items got discounts and not others, but considering my employer pays $16 to ship a half-pound mailer to Richmond from Bristol via UPS, I’d expect two four-leaf springs plus all parts to be a significant amount of weight to ship.  Maybe a business would get discounted or free shipping, but residential addresses didn’t.  I am also dealing with a company that came recommended by others on the Ford enthusiast forum.  I could try to shop around to save a few bucks, but since I can do the work myself, I’d rather trust the recommendations.

36 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’d rather trust the recommendations.

And this is why we have these type of threads.  There's a high level of trust that's been built here both in the level of expertise and the good faith of our community.  I know I've received very good advice from our forum members.  The fact that it may not fit my specific circumstance, or at times I choose to ignore it anyway, doesn't mean it is not appreciated and valued, it means I'm just stupid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

And with springs, I kinda agree with you, Mike.  Springs are one of many things that are very easy to make cheaper, and sell cheaper.  I've seen really inexpensive springs collapse in a couple thousand miles, or be so soft right off that bat that they weren't worth changing out. Problem is, you have no indication except reputation that the ones you are buying are indeed the good springs and not the same ones that xyzimporting brought in and were rebadged.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

The debate between helper springs, new springs, etc. came down to the issue that if the OEM springs were shot, it would be better to replace them with good springs than patch with helpers or supplemental parts.  Cost-wise, the money wasn’t that different.  I’m replacing with the strongest springs compatible with my truck.

You can consider helpers a patch or an upgrade.  For varying loads, especially occasional loading, I lean toward the latter.  No matter how great a spring is, it can't suit varying loads like an air spring can.  At best it'll be progressive enough to give a decent ride unloaded without being too high and not sag too far when loaded.  I've driven a few Mazdas/Rangers of that era and they were all under sprung for loads, except maybe the 4.0 which seemed stiffer, but I never loaded it to find out.

I hope the new springs work well for you.

Shipping a set of diff gears cost me $30 and residential users do get a big discount for printing postage and not going into a post office.  A set of rock rails was $150.  I'd expect springs to be much less.  But whatever, if you end up happy with the results.

I would have bagged it, and had been planning to do that with the Gladiator, but then I started huffing ozone.

Well, thankfully I should not need to do the front ones.  The load on the front wheels is constant, and the rear wasn't sagging UNLESS it was loaded with a few hundred pounds.  When I saw how much my RS + ramps made it sag, I knew the springs weren't doing their job.  I only saw that happen before when I REALLY loaded down the truck.  Now a few hundred pounds was enough.

1 hour ago, tomek said:

Have you completed sag vs. OEM specs? 

After 25 years, I can tell by how it handles when loaded it's degraded.  Not like I have a lot of heavy weight to toss in just to take measurements.