CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honest insights on modern pickup trucks.

Zero Knievel

Looking about at new trucks, many are employing some form of turbo booster (EcoBoost or otherwise) to get more power from smaller engines and better MPG.

Clearly, any such hardware is just one more thing that can go wrong.  So, what do people know about these things?  Things to look for?  Versions to avoid?  Regular maintenance needed to ensure no trouble during lifetime of vehicle?  Mods suggested to prevent mechanical problems as the vehicle ages?

Turbos are going to fail (turbo boost was on Knight Rider, BTW).  Even the mighty 7.3 Powerstroke had turbo failure.  So you are correct, it is one more thing to go bad.  But it is for the purpose of getting more power out of a smaller package.  As with anything, good oil and keeping it filtered and monitored/changed.  Since most people don't do testing then the answer falls to changed.  And since most people didn't like buying 3-4 gallons of oil for Powerstrokes... bye-bye turbo.  Turbos run HOT.  That cooks the oil.  You've GOT to stay on top of the oil changes on those engines.

That little POS 1.3 or whatever is in the Cruze.  #1 failure... turbo.  What do people who buy that car do?  Never change the oil.  Change the oil, turbo survives.  Seen them with well over 100k with factory turbos.  Service history that looks like a CVS receipt.  It makes a difference.

See also; transmission fluid - automatic/CVT.

• Upvote 2

There's only one way to get enough power to do every day stuff and still meet stricter CAFE standards, and that is forced induction 

I've been looking whimsically at new trucks, and there just isn't the information out there to make good decisions about what a well designed system.  Agreed with fur that equipment needs to be cared for aggressively, it would be nice to know things like how expensive is this turbo and how hard is it to change? What can be done to improve cooling and increase longevity. Etc, etc, but I'm interested where this thread goes.

Most guys that had Rangers have fond memories if them.

The newer Ford 6.7L diesel has a good reputation. 

Ford also made an F150 3.0L for a while. I haven't followed it. It keeps entering my mind. The Subaru Legacy gets great milage, but it's like getting into and out of a  gocart

My middle son is still running my old Ford 7.3L diesel now with almost 400k mikes on it.

A Fird 6.0 or 6.4L are not for you IMHO

The Dodge 3.0L eco-diesels have decent rep if you aren't towing large loads. Their inline 6 Cummins offering is very good. 

Nussan had a diesel.

Titan XD for sale

Screenshot_20230426-042155.png

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

Their inline 6 Cummins offering is very good. 

Not that it matters here but my son was just telling me that he spent the last weekend changing a cracked head on a Cummins for a friend.  I jokingly said that the Dodge was supposed to be so good and he didn't agree because of how many he has fixed with serious engine troubles. 

17 hours ago, Furbird said:

That little POS 1.3 or whatever is in the Cruze.  #1 failure... turbo.  What do people who buy that car do?  Never change the oil.  Change the oil, turbo survives.  Seen them with well over 100k with factory turbos.  Service history that looks like a CVS receipt.  It makes a difference.

Agreed. Be diligent with oil changes and turbos are fine. Shit, they've been putting them in cars in the US easily for at least 40 years so it's not like it's some crazy new technology but they have gotten much better IMO.

That Cummins V8 in Nissan is POS. Don't do it. I know someone who used to own one. Constant headache.

Typical Cummins approach, users are responsible to last 20 % of R&D.

They'll get it eventually right, but is is gonna take a decade or two. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15091901/2016-nissan-titan-xd-long-term-test-review/ 

Screenshot_20230426-092831.png

On 4/26/2023 at 10:32 AM, tomek said:

That Cummins V8 in Nissan is POS. Don't do it. I know someone who used to own one. Constant headache.

Typical Cummins approach, users are responsible to last 20 % of R&D.

They'll get it eventually right, but is is gonna take a decade or two. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15091901/2016-nissan-titan-xd-long-term-test-review/ 

Screenshot_20230426-092831.png

they won’t get it right because it was discontinued a few years ago. Loads of emissions problems and a propensity for snapping the crank

it’s a shame because it really was a very nice, comfortable truck and unique looking

Edited by Fiona

Even the Nissan techs I used to work with won't buy a diesel Titan.  That said all I needed to hear about that engine.

The Ford 7.3 gas engine is NOTORIOUS for cam issues.  And that's a brand new engine.  I don't know if it's the cam or the lifter sheering off/roller/whatever but something is failing internally and it's happening under warranty regardless as to how well you maintain it.  Guess all those Ford fanboys talking shit about GM's AFM lifter failure is biting them in the ass 🤣

I don't know what trucks you are looking at, but a friend just told me that many full size trucks are being advertised for 0% interest.  That's effectively a huge discount with CD rates approaching 5%.

6 hours ago, Furbird said:

The Ford 7.3 gas engine is NOTORIOUS for cam issues.  And that's a brand new engine.  I don't know if it's the cam or the lifter sheering off/roller/whatever but something is failing internally and it's happening under warranty regardless as to how well you maintain it.  Guess all those Ford fanboys talking shit about GM's AFM lifter failure is biting them in the ass 🤣

The 7.3 gas is all they have at my son's work and they love them and no issues.   You never buy the first year of a brand new production and from what I have read, any issues Ford replaced the engine without question.  Don't buy a 2021-early 22, new shouldn't be a problem from what I understand.  

On 4/25/2023 at 12:10 PM, Zero Knievel said:

Looking about at new trucks, many are employing some form of turbo booster (EcoBoost or otherwise) to get more power from smaller engines and better MPG.

Clearly, any such hardware is just one more thing that can go wrong. 

It's called a turbocharger, not a turbo booster, and they've been in use for over a century.  You had no problem with trying out that new fangled hybrid technology so get over it.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:24 AM, XXitanium said:

My middle son is still running my old Ford 7.3L diesel now with almost 400k mikes on it.

Mine's at 443k, assuming you're referring to the 7.3 Powerstroke.  I have no idea what the miles are on my 7.3 IDI, but probably way lower.

On 4/26/2023 at 3:29 AM, blackhawkxx said:

Not that it matters here but my son was just telling me that he spent the last weekend changing a cracked head on a Cummins for a friend.  I jokingly said that the Dodge was supposed to be so good and he didn't agree because of how many he has fixed with serious engine troubles. 

One of my customers has a 2012 Ram 6.7 Cummins with at least a blown head gasket, probably worse.  I refused to dig deeper as she's somewhat broke and I feared that it would turn into a problem.  The dealer quoted her $13k to fix it so she's selling it.  If she didn't think that the beaner mods her husband made to it made it worth more I might have made an offer.

I am in my Third F150. 

Two where the 3.5L Ecoboost twin turbo. They now also have the 2.7 twin turbo. I also had rhe 5.0 Coyote engine. 

2011 Ecoboost 3.5 city 18mpg highway 20 tow 11,800

2014 Coyote 15 city 18 highway towing 8,500

2018 Ecoboost 3.5 19 city highway 23 towing 13,000

My first choice based on less moving parts would have been the 5.0 on my 2018 but didn’t work out that way. The 2.7 liter only helps a few MPG. Only know issues on my truck was the cam phasers and twin pane sunroof track cracking.

My 2018 does drive beautifully and goes like a bat out of hell.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It's called a turbocharger, not a turbo booster, and they've been in use for over a century.  You had no problem with trying out that new fangled hybrid technology so get over it.

Yes, and I've heard that many, many models of them wind up crapping up, require modification, or end up being a maintenance headache.  I know efforts were made to improve the quality and eliminate the need for complex and frequent maintenance, but there are still horror stories at how they wind up being more trouble than they are worth.  I'd like to think that if Ford "owner proofed" the ecoboost technology, they'd employ it on all motors and platforms, but there I go being silly and assuming auto makers use common sense.

By contrast, I didn't even consider buying a Prius until the 3rd Generation (they were generally good from day one, but lots of improvements were made by the 3rd Generation models), AND Toyota insisted that all Prius are made in Japan under strict quality control because it's a flagship product.  Consider that Toyota (last I heard) is starting to have their trucks assembled in Mexico...and the quality is being similarly impacted.

If a Turbo was drop-dead reliable needing nothing more than regular fluid changes I could do myself, I'd consider it.  I buy vehicles to keep for 10+ years and 100K+ miles.  I don't want to get a maintenance/repair nightmare.

45 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yes, and I've heard that many, many models of them wind up crapping up, blah, blah, blah...

Examples of the "many, many models of them ...crapping up, requiring modification, or end up being a maintenance headache"?  I've not heard of widespread systemic engine issues that are unique to forced-induction engines available in the consumer market.  If they were so horrible, manufacturers wouldn't warranty them for as long as an NA engine.

Maintenance on a turbo car is no different than any other car.  It is more important to do it on schedule and with quality materials, but no different.  Please provide an example of turbo engine maintenance that differs from a naturally-aspirated engine. 

You're doing what you do, dreaming up barriers and excuses.  All of your assertions in this thread have been irrational, unfounded, and easily disproven by the millions of turbo cars on the road today.  

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yes, and I've heard that many, many models of them wind up crapping up, require modification, or end up being a maintenance headache.  I know efforts were made to improve the quality and eliminate the need for complex and frequent maintenance, but there are still horror stories at how they wind up being more trouble than they are worth.  I'd like to think that if Ford "owner proofed" the ecoboost technology, they'd employ it on all motors and platforms, but there I go being silly and assuming auto makers use common sense.

By contrast, I didn't even consider buying a Prius until the 3rd Generation (they were generally good from day one, but lots of improvements were made by the 3rd Generation models), AND Toyota insisted that all Prius are made in Japan under strict quality control because it's a flagship product.  Consider that Toyota (last I heard) is starting to have their trucks assembled in Mexico...and the quality is being similarly impacted.

If a Turbo was drop-dead reliable needing nothing more than regular fluid changes I could do myself, I'd consider it.  I buy vehicles to keep for 10+ years and 100K+ miles.  I don't want to get a maintenance/repair nightmare.

FYI it is 2023, not 1968. You have no clue.

Every single car, pickup and truck powered by diesel engine is turbocharged. Most of passenger gasoline cars and small/mid sized SUVs are turbocharged. Like fucking tens of millions. 

You'll do fine by following owners manual on maintenance. Watching some clueless guy on YT? Not so much.

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Name this supposed complex and frequent maintenance.  You are being silly, and it has nothing to do with Ford's common sense.  They rarely, if ever, use the same engines in cars and trucks just like other manufacturers don't.  Probably the biggest problem with the ecoboost is the cam phasers, a problem that's equally shared with Ford's non turbo engines, it has nothing at all to do with the turbos.

Funny thing is, the second gen is actually more reliable than 3rd.  And along with all your other BS, Toyota didn't insist that the Prius only be made in Japan...unless China is part of Japan and I didn't get that memo.

Turbo cars get the same warrantee as naturally aspirated cars, including the manufacturers that give 10 year 100k mile warrantees.  Every heavy duty truck on the road has a turbo, as do heavy construction trucks and equipment, mining equipment, locomotives, .....  And a turbo requires Zero special maintenance.