CBR1100XX.org Forum

Roll Pin Removal

blackhawkxx

You guys have any tips or tricks for removing a small split type roll pin from a blind hole?  It locks in the inner tie rod on a rack and pinion.  I changed one some years ago and broke many drill bits trying to drill it out and now have to do the other side.  If I remember right it is about 1/8", no more the 3/16".  Keep in mind this will be done laying under the car.

1 hour ago, Biometrix said:

Ok stupid question maybe but why are you trying to drill it out instead of using a roll pin punch and just pounding it through?

If you read my first sentence, the pin is in blind hole, meaning there is no other side.  It has to come out the way it went in. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

If you read my first sentence, the pin is in blind hole, meaning there is no other side.  It has to come out the way it went in. 

Ah! I did read that but interpreted it differently as in you couldn't see the hole and were working by feel. That's a pretty dumb design for using a roll pin. Clearly the engineer didn't ever want it taken apart. Any chance you can drill a hole from the opposite side or through the center of the pin to the other side and then punch it out the way it went in?

Does the insert terminate before the end of the hole?  If so, try anything long enough with a lip (think nail head).  Catch the edge and see if you can gently work it back out enough...hopefully enough to grip something on your end to more effectively pry.

7 hours ago, Biometrix said:

That's a pretty dumb design for using a roll pin. Clearly the engineer didn't ever want it taken apart.

Couldn't agree more.  Drilling from the other side while under the car and getting it to line up would be a long shot and wouldn't save much from just drilling the pin.  It's a 70's Ford.  While most of the stuff is very easy to work on some of designs were not as good as later stuff as far as function.  

I'll get it out, I was just thinking maybe someone had I trick that I haven't heard of.

6 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Does the insert terminate before the end of the hole?  If so, try anything long enough with a lip (think nail head).  Catch the edge and see if you can gently work it back out enough...hopefully enough to grip something on your end to more effectively pry.

If the hole is 1/8 or 3/16", a paper-clip is about all you can get in there.  There might be a very special tool for this, but it will still cost way more than several drill bits.  I would use cobalt bits, high-speed, and very slow feed.  And lube.  Everything is better with lube.

• Like 1

Locktite makes a product that is used to glue a steel dowel into a broken spark plug, then a threaded puller is used to pull the core out.  The challenge in the case of the roll pin is avoiding gluing the roll pin to the shaft while still getting the glue to adhere to the dowel and pin.  My other thought was a small drywall screw (very hard steel, but brittle) to engage only the roll pin and then the puller of your choice to pull the pin out.

There are some great suggestions above.  I suppose changing it into the fourth state of matter isn't a productive option, but maybe you could find the designer of said assembly and turn them into the fourth state of matter instead.

17 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

My other thought was a small drywall screw (very hard steel, but brittle) to engage only the roll pin and then the puller of your choice to pull the pin out.

The thing about spit roll pins are as you insert anything inside, they expand to grip even tighter. 

1 minute ago, blackhawkxx said:

The thing about spit roll pins are as you insert anything inside, they expand to grip even tighter. 

True.  The challenge is to limit the amount of expansion while getting good "bite" with the threads.  I don't know what material the roll pin is made out of, if it's a spring steel that approach probably won't fly.  But I have seen this be successful before, specifically the same arrangement holding a distributor gear in place.  The roll pin isn't usually in with a lot of tension (unless yours is rusted/corroded).  The distributor we at least had on a bench, I don't envy your predicament. 

6 hours ago, IcePrick said:

True.  The challenge is to limit the amount of expansion while getting good "bite" with the threads.  I don't know what material the roll pin is made out of, if it's a spring steel that approach probably won't fly.  But I have seen this be successful before, specifically the same arrangement holding a distributor gear in place.  The roll pin isn't usually in with a lot of tension (unless yours is rusted/corroded).  The distributor we at least had on a bench, I don't envy your predicament. 

I did find a tool (I'm NOT getting) that works on the principle you were talking about.  $133

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7122R-Lock-Remover-Ford/dp/B000RHZPRY

image.jpeg.7794f77b99bde136151ec1f53fa6b6ca.jpeg

50 years of corrosion is a hard thing to fight.  I'd still try to sneak a screw in their and get a puller on it just to say I tried. That's the same principle behind the tool that icepick advocated.

If there is enough of a hole that you can get a small pin punch or even a nail inside the roll pin, you could inject some grease or heavy liquid and then take a good wack at whatever you found that can fit inside the pin. Probably have to refill a couple times, but hopefully the hydraulic pressure might express the pin out enough to get the mightymighty vise grip onto it. 

At least it will be lubed for drilling 

• Like 1

Drill and tap it to the next convenient size. A machine screw won't cause much expansion and should give a good pull.

I got it out tonight and I'm not sure it wasn't the one I already changed.  Couldn't find any markings on it at all.  The pin was a lot smaller than I remembered and I tried some different screws a little while but noticed there was a tiny tiny bit maybe a 1/32" raised above the hole and the screws had spread it a little.  Using side cuts and some patience it came out.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

• Like 1