CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ultra high efficiency home heating/cooling filters

SwampNut

I know this has been casually discussed here in the past, but I thought it was worth a specific recommendation.  Many years ago, I switched to using these filters, and they are a huge improvement over generic filters.  They seem expensive until you look at the low replacement rate. Our current ones were installed in June of last year, and one set is maybe close to done, the other can go a few more months (we have separate upstairs and downstairs systems, like most places in the Southwest).  I've measured both the airflow (via a vacuum meter) and the indoor air quality (with particulate and VOC meters).  Both are greatly improved over the 1" filters.  These fit into most return grille systems, which have the filters in the ceiling return.  There's a version without the 1" flange for systems that have the filter inside the HVAC unit.

I've been using the Merv 11 version, but just ordered the Merv 13 for the upcoming replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S4HBSYL?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QVH8YPG?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make a huge difference in allergy symptoms, and in household dust.

22 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

The smaller the micron the better it will filter but will also flow less air and clog quicker.  

Sort of.  If you increase the surface area, and these do, then it actually flows better and lasts longer.  I can't recall the exactly number, but these are somewhere in the range of 8x the surface area.  Measuring against a high end 1" filter from 3M, these actually pull less vacuum both when new, and when they look like they are full.

I've got a friend who works in HVAC and this is all he uses.  Also, we had a duct cleaning, and the guy said we really didn't need it, and also, if we keep using these filters we never need to call him again.  He says he normally books people for every other year.

4 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Do you have to change the return vent to accommodate the deeper size?

I've never seen a return that can't accommodate these.  They may exist.  My friend in HVAC says he has seen one that was shallow.

I suppose if I’m looking at the images correctly, a 20x20 has the media slightly narrower so it can get past the lip in the return vent that holds the standard 1” filter depth.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

I suppose if I’m looking at the images correctly, a 20x20 has the media slightly narrower so it can get past the lip in the return vent that holds the standard 1” filter depth.

Yes, exactly, that's the flanged type filter for a return grille in the ceiling.  The non-flanged, normal squared off version is for the ones that have it inside the air handler or a horizontal duct.  If you use the non-flange type in a ceiling return, it will get sucked in and not flow anything.

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

My return is horizontal, but the lip is there to prevent the filter being sucked into they return vent.

Ah, ok, should be the same as my ceiling returns.  As is often the case, the NE construction is very different from the SW.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Ah, ok, should be the same as my ceiling returns.  As is often the case, the NE construction is very different from the SW.

I think it’s more where you want the air handler installed.  For units installed in drop ceilings, the return is usually in the ceiling.  Ours is in the garage (under the house), so a return vent in a wall above the unit was the ideal spot.  I suppose it could go either way if the unit is installed in a closet on the main floor.

• 1 month later...