CBR1100XX.org Forum

The Actual veggie burger

SwampNut

That's the branding.  "The Actual Black Burger" and similar, there are 8 different ones I think.  Most veggie burgers are highly processed with a bunch of added shit.  So while it's obviously still nutritionally better than cow, it's not great.  These are just real veggies, shredded and pressed.  I've had two, one was great, and one I would never eat again.  However, everyone else loved that one.  It was the Actual Purple, which is beet based.  I found that it tasted like dirt and nothing else, everyone else liked it.  The other one I had is the black, and it is awesome.  It has a slight Mexican-ish flavor but not so much that it's obvious.  A great way to consume hot sauce and/or some good stone ground mustard.

I found it at Fry's (Kroger) in the frozen foods, in between the breakfast stuff and some of the other meat alternative products.  A pack of six was $11 with their loyalty card discount, so a pretty good value.  I think non-loyalty price was $13.

https://actualveggies.com/products/the-actual-black-burger-4-pack

On 3/25/2023 at 3:29 PM, SwampNut said:

A pack of six was $11 with their loyalty card discount, so a pretty good value.  I think non-loyalty price was $13.

https://actualveggies.com/products/the-actual-black-burger-4-pack

$7.50 a patty for beans seems a little on the crazy side.

From your link:

Burger.thumb.jpg.cb37486a6e3027fb0ec7ebaca235c256.jpg

I light it very lightly pickled, as in putting it in vinegar for 1-3 hours.  Same with radishes, arugula, and things like that.  That burger above may as well be a white man taco, and the best street tacos have cabbage in them.  Seriously, black beans with a lot of cumin, avocado, tomato...it's a taco.

I'm making the black bean for lunch for both of us today on pretzel buns, and some sweet and smoky BBQ sauce.  I'll add jalapeños to mine.

5 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Dude - I love red cabbage. Pickle it and it’s incredibly delish. 

Not a fan? 

never been a fan of cabbage in any form. Boiled, pickled, coleslaw or kimchee. Even as Carlos mentioned on the street tacos, not a fan at all. Don't have this problem with lettuce though. Toss it on burgers, taco's or straight lettuce wraps and find it very tasty. 

You grill brussel sprouts and brush with a balsamic sauce or have a dipping sauce and love them. 

20 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

You grill brussel sprouts and brush with a balsamic sauce or have a dipping sauce and love them. 

I toss them with balsamic and za'atar, then air fry.  Amazing.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

I toss them with balsamic and za'atar, then air fry.  Amazing.

Air fry? How does it do with giving a slight grilled char to the veggies? 

My wife thought I was crazy for baking potatoes and then putting them in the airfryer for 10 minutes. Prefer a crispy outside shell with the skin. Eat the inside and then the crisp skin as a treat. 

The air fryer does exactly that, it's awesome.  I like my sprouts nearly turning black on the outside, and medium inside.  Also, the cut edges get so sweet and tasty with air frying.

We love crispy smash potatoes.  Microwave small yellow/colored potatoes until barely soft enough to smash, but not cooked.  Flatten, spray lightly with olive oil (adds around 5 calories per potato).  Sprinkle with seasoning.  Air fry at 480, alternating between the bottom grate and top, to extra-toast both sides.

Air fried cauliflower tacos for lunch.

0C0A9CA8-9F07-4D3B-98B7-6A11946AF3AE_1_102_o.jpeg

Haha, I do but after working all day I need a quick shower, dinner and get into the bed early. Probably leave around 3am to head south for work to meet up with a coworker. 

Dinner wasn't bad, some grilled chicked and rice. Wanted to add some veggies but slim pickings after not going to the store this weekend.