CBR1100XX.org Forum

From the premium site, not mine.

This year's snowmobile rentals are coming out for sale now. My wife is sending me a links to 2023 600 ETEC skidoos for sale.

I think I could get a title for that CBR in Wisconsin-stan though.

It's old enough to classify as a collector. And I can't go buy a 2023 Blackbird. Not that I need one.

You guys dont have  very good memories...:)
That bike was built by a .org member from Texas (Tony?) who wrecked it. 
The build was documented on this site.
I bought the wreck and repaired it, changing it into what you see today, except for the exhaust.
It had a Two Brothers high mount when I sold it to a guy from NYC.
Happy Trails!
Hanksxxx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless the registration is the title, like watercraft in AZ, one will probably need a title or some hoop jumping to transfer it.

"No title due to age"; I don't know of a state that only titles later model vehicles so it sounds fishy to me.  Being that he lives in CT and has VT registration makes it seem even more fishy.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Unless the registration is the title, like watercraft in AZ, one will probably need a title or some hoop jumping to transfer it.

"No title due to age"; I don't know of a state that only titles later model vehicles so it sounds fishy to me.  Being that he lives in CT and has VT registration makes it seem even more fishy.

There used to be a few states where that was the rule, I don't know if it has changed.  Kentucky (I think) had no titles for vehicles over 25 years old - bill of sale.  It was a popular title-washing state.  I believe it was one of the Dakotas that an MC registration was its title.  Vermont is popular for troubled titles, there is a loophole there that I've forgotten - I looked into it but you have to have proof of residency and appear in person to register it.  The Dakota solution could be done by mail, no residency.  I never followed through with trying to title the GasGas (it never had a title and Disney lost the MSO), but it was the option that looked most promising.

I've often wondered about obtaining a title through a mechanic's lien.  Buy an untitled vehicle, sit on it for a year, claim you did work on it and the owner never paid.  Would require collusion with the former owner.

Arizona has a "bonded title", my superficial (mis)understanding of it is you put up a bond with some relationship to the value of the vehicle and if it isn't contested in 2 years you can convert it to a normal title and recover your bond.  Maybe someone here has more specific info on that.

6 hours ago, HANKSXXX said:

I bought the wreck and repaired it, changing it into what you see today, except for the exhaust.
Happy Trails!
Hanksxxx

Do you remember his screen name?

2 hours ago, IcePrick said:

Arizona has a "bonded title", my superficial (mis)understanding of it is you put up a bond with some relationship to the value of the vehicle and if it isn't contested in 2 years you can convert it to a normal title and recover your bond.  Maybe someone here has more specific info on that.

Washington has a "bonded" title...however, unlike the name would infer there is no actual "bond" put up. I bought a small boat and trailer from a guy with no titles and the trailer had no VIN on it. I took it to the Washington State Patrol and they engraved a VIN on the tongue. I took the bills of sale and forms from WSP to the DOL and paid to become the "registered owner". If no one comes forward in three years the state will issue me titles for each. I can't miss or be late on a renewal or the 3 year clock starts over.

I also have an Army HUMVEE trailer I have converted for over-landing. It too doesn't have a title, and I need to take it to the WSP for another inspection. I haven't gotten around to it, and sadly have now owned the Army trailer for close to three years, and would have had a title already. However, during COVID the WSP appointments were virtually impossible to obtain.

"Do you remember his screen name?"

Google came right up with it....
Originally built and then crashed by "TexasDawg"
I seem to remember his name was Tony but could be wrong...
Hanksxxx

Edited by HANKSXXX
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IcePrick said:

I've done it before, you are correct.  Though I don't know if it's two years, or not, but the rest is accurate.  Level 1 inspection, bond, registered letters to last known address, etc.

20 hours ago, IcePrick said:

I've often wondered about obtaining a title through a mechanic's lien.  Buy an untitled vehicle, sit on it for a year, claim you did work on it and the owner never paid.  Would require collusion with the former owner.

I don't think you'd need collusion, and it shouldn't need to sit a year.  "Some dude named Tony dropped it off a month ago and never came back" would be my angle.  Generally speaking, 30 days equals abandoned property.  AZ might have a different rule for vehicles, but a year seems long.

I'm headed to Bullhead this morning to pick up a Seadoo boat that will most likely need a Tony so we'll see how it goes.  I'm pretty sure the owner is whatever bank they financed it through in 2008.  And supposedly it never got used so it might be a 'new' 25 year old boat, will be interesting to find out.

21 hours ago, IcePrick said:

I never followed through with trying to title the GasGas (it never had a title and Disney lost the MSO), but it was the option that looked most promising.

I assume you could do a bonded title, in CA it would be a lien sale, I don't think we have the bonded option.  In CA anything that's not in the computer system gets an instant title, last I knew.  Since they can't give you a 'last known owner' to send the lien stuff to you by-pass the lien sale.  I'm hoping that's still the case, if so the boat should be easy since it should have fallen out of the system by now.  Stuff with no title goes through a lien sale process where they give you the info of the last known owner and you send them some papers.  The owner can release it to you or claim ownership, in which case they pay your storage fee and recover their property.  Third option is that they don't respond within 30 days and it automatically becomes yours.

I've got two vehicles needing titles, I could do lien sales, but the shitty part is that CA charges back fees on expired registration so the cost will be more than they're worth.  They 'should' be about to fall off the system which eliminates that, but nobody can tell me if checking their status restarts the clock so I'm not sure.

In AZ, a boat is not a vehicle and it all goes via Game and Fish, so no idea how you deal with that here.  The trailer is MVD (vehicle) though.  I think in CA boats are done at DMV?

On 3/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, HANKSXXX said:

Happy Trails!
Hanksxxx

Hank, it looked familiar, but I didn't have time to do the research on it.

13 hours ago, SwampNut said:

In AZ, a boat is not a vehicle and it all goes via Game and Fish, so no idea how you deal with that here.  The trailer is MVD (vehicle) though.  I think in CA boats are done at DMV?

Yup, boats and trailers are DMV.  If they've fallen out of the computer system, which is likely, then it should be a quick easy process.  I'll be going to a third party title place where I can ask "should I tell you I bought them and bring bills of sale, or call them abandoned and do lien sales?"