CBR1100XX.org Forum

Using your phone's microphone to measure belt tension

SwampNut

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Will that work with any application and any belt?  I wonder how accurate it is?  

It should work with any belt, but the app would have to know what frequency indicates proper tension for the vehicle.  I remember some talk on the Ducati forum about using a phone to set the timing belt tension, but I think Ducati gives the frequency spec so you just need something that can accurately hear and display the frequency.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It should work with any belt, but the app would have to know what frequency indicates proper tension for the vehicle.  I remember some talk on the Ducati forum about using a phone to set the timing belt tension, but I think Ducati gives the frequency spec so you just need something that can accurately hear and display the frequency.

I was thinking of the Goldwing timing belt.  It is set by so many lbs per inches of deflection. 

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I was thinking of the Goldwing timing belt.  It is set by so many lbs per inches of deflection. 

If you, or someone, found the frequency at the right tension then you 'should' be able to set it by sound from then on.  I assume that the right tension would have to be tight enough that it vibrates when plucked.  And the sound might be a bit different with different belt brands.

This should be as accurate as tuning guitar strings, which can be super accurate.  But like Oscar says, you'd have to have specifics for your belt in your application.

On 3/5/2023 at 12:36 PM, SwampNut said:

This should be as accurate as tuning guitar strings, which can be super accurate.  But like Oscar says, you'd have to have specifics for your belt in your application.

Plus the calculations would require at least humidity and altitude correction.

3 hours ago, RXX said:

Plus the calculations would require at least humidity and altitude correction.

Joking or for real?  Seems very excessive to me.

Pretty sure it would be one of those 0.01% tolerance kind of things.  At some level of accuracy, absolutely everything needs to be accounted for including the phase of the moon, which would pull the belt in different directions.  Entropy at its extremes is a real bitch.

I'm guessing that the temperature when adjusting would do more than all those factors combined, but when you realize that the belt will probably see a fluctuation of around 200 degrees during operation you realize that you can mostly ignore temp as well.