CBR1100XX.org Forum

I'm doing unethical human medical experiments at home

SwampNut

I wonder if avocados have made it all the way to Canada yet? I know it takes time to get things like sprouts introduced to places in the north east.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

What do potatoes taste like to you (as far as flavorful or not)?  I think yellow potatoes are prominently flavored, and whites are nearly flavorless, with the avocado being about the same as the yellows in flavor level.  I think that's why people use basic white potatoes as just a holder for butter and salt.  The yellows taste fantastic without the junk.

They have some taste but I never eat them without flavorings.   Yellow ones have more flavor to me also.  Some seem to have a little dirt taste.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, SwampNut said:

I think yellow potatoes are prominently flavored, and whites are nearly flavorless, with the avocado being about the same as the yellows in flavor level.

Agreed.  But while I've never noticed a big difference in flavor of white potatoes, maybe because they don't have enough of it, yellows and avocados do vary.

Shit, I thought it was in my head.  I've thought there was a big change in some yellow potatoes.  Have you noticed it by size or shape?  I feel like the really little round yellows have the most flavor.  And the purple-red ones are my favorite.

I can go the rest of my life without a white potato.

18 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

I prefer fingerling potatoes, small flavorful little spuds. 

Them too.

Last night I grilled/smoked a bag of the super tiny colored potatoes as a side, and they were fantastic.  The extra small ones do seem to pack more flavor.  Everyone wanted to know what I did to them.  Um, put em in the smoker-grill.  I did do a very light spray of olive oil and sprinkle of potassium chloride.

16 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

That is all they need, I will give them give them a spritz of olive oil or a quick toss with Italian dressing. Gives a little zing from the vinegar and spices. 

Oh, that's another good idea.  I made a sauce from coconut sour cream, horseradish, and garlic.  Could have used more horseradish.

Inglehoffer is easy to find locally, offer up a grated and creamy style. Kelly's Pride is another that isn't bad as well. 

Never seen the Beaver brand, will have to check my local Publix as Kroger doesn't carry it here. 

Friend dad grows the root and sells it at their local farmers market. Got some last year, sadly I forgot about it.. 

I've never noticed a difference in brands, or one that I remembered.  Now I'll have to pay more attention.  I prefer the most concentrated possible, with few ingredients, as I'll just make my own sauce from it.

Inglehoffer and Beaver are the same company.  They seem to use the brands regionally; the West gets more Beaver (heh) and the Midwest/East gets more Inglehoffer.  I have no idea why.  Their stone ground mustard is fucking amazing.  The sweet hot pepper mustard is interesting, but the mustard part of that one is not as good as the stone ground.

https://www.beavertonfoods.com/inglehoffer/

• Like 1

That is good to know, find it to be a decent horseradish. 

Will also make my own spicy mustard, dijon with horseradish mixed together, probably the same as the sweet hot mustard they make. 

Never tried horseradish to smoke anything. Will use yellow mustard as a binder first for a rub first. Hmmm, might test this on some ribs this spring. 

22 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

probably the same as the sweet hot mustard they make. 

That sweet hot mustard has both sweet and slightly spicy red peppers in it, so it's pretty different.

15 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

That is good to know, find it to be a decent horseradish. 

Will also make my own spicy mustard, dijon with horseradish mixed together, probably the same as the sweet hot mustard they make. 

Never tried horseradish to smoke anything. Will use yellow mustard as a binder first for a rub first. Hmmm, might test this on some ribs this spring. 

Don't know anything about this guy nor do I necessarily recommend him but it has a review of a mustard I love.  The mustard comes in regular and then extra as he demonstrates.  Great on brats or anything you like mustard on.  I believe it has horseradish in it and it will give your nose a good burn.

• Like 1

Meat3.thumb.jpg.feded31fda08756ad257f5090e439618.jpg

On 4/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, SwampNut said:

What do potatoes taste like to you (as far as flavorful or not)?  I think yellow potatoes are prominently flavored, and whites are nearly flavorless, with the avocado being about the same as the yellows in flavor level.  I think that's why people use basic white potatoes as just a holder for butter and salt.  The yellows taste fantastic without the junk.

You know what tastes better than tators or avocados?  This, it was soaked in Smoky Applewood marinade for 24 hours and cooked on the grill tonight.  😁

Edited by blackhawkxx
  • Like 1