CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another Win for diet and behavior changes

02XXCA

Just had another Endoscopy to check on a Esophageal Hiatal hernia that can cause Barrett's esophagus, due to acid from the stomach causing the continual damage if not treated.   The Doctor had wanted me to continue using drugs like Prilosec.  I told him I wanted to modify my behavior such as watching what and how much I ate and keep from eating up to 4 hours before bedtime.   It appears the esophagitis has healed since last endoscomy about 4 months ago, so no need to continue to use drugs to manage.

I'm a firm believer if you are willing to change diet and live a healthier lifestyle you can avoid medicine and the side effects that  come with many of them.   With my Crohns in remission and no longer taking Stelara that was costing 23K every 8 weeks, after a year of medicine, and follow up after a year off of it., and after changing my diet, I have been able to avoid the need to stay on Stelara, the doctor said normally when going on a biologic that normally you will need to take it for the rest of your life.   It's sad that more Doctors don't communicate the possibility what diet may able to do for your health.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I too have a hiatal hernia and suffered from acid reflux. I changed diet and habits, I don't eat dinner after 6:00 pm, I avoid spicy food for dinner and very seldom drink late or in excess. I no longer have problems with acid reflux. If I do eat after 6:00 pm it is a light meal. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 02XXCA said:

It's sad that more Doctors don't communicate the possibility what diet may able to do for your health.  

My doctor didn't tell me that I could cure all my joint pain and avoid surgery by changing my diet.  Why?  He embarrassingly told me "because nobody does it."  But he did say that I've encouraged him to try.

• Upvote 1

Good for you Chris for getting results without surgery!  Susans hiatal hernia was so severe she had acid reflux almost twenty-four seven. She had surgery to correct the problem. No acid reflux whatsoever now. She also lost over 30 pounds in the process as she was on a liquid diet for the first three weeks then graduating to soft foods for another three weeks. Three months post-surgery there are some foods that won't stay down though it is improving.

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2023 at 10:50 AM, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Good for you Chris for getting results without surgery!  Susans hiatal hernia was so severe she had acid reflux almost twenty-four seven. She had surgery to correct the problem. No acid reflux whatsoever now. She also lost over 30 pounds in the process as she was on a liquid diet for the first three weeks then graduating to soft foods for another three weeks. Three months post-surgery there are some foods that won't stay down though it is improving.

Wow, glad to hear she is on the mend.