CBR1100XX.org Forum

Great LED set up

silverbird1100

As LEDs consume less power than incandescent bulbs, counterintuitively, they put more strain on the charging system. More specifically, the R/R. 

If you go all LED, then upgrade the R/R to a real deal (as opposed to fake, which online sites are littered with) mosfet type.  Home (roadstercycle.com)

Not a bad idea to upgrade anyway, as this new kit is far superior. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fizzy said:

As LEDs consume less power than incandescent bulbs, counterintuitively, they put more strain on the charging system. More specifically, the R/R. 

If you go all LED, then upgrade the R/R to a real deal (as opposed to fake, which online sites are littered with) mosfet type.  Home (roadstercycle.com)

Not a bad idea to upgrade anyway, as this new kit is far superior. 

I didn’t know that, why does it stress the r/r?

31 minutes ago, silverbird1100 said:

I didn’t know that, why does it stress the r/r?

The R/R has to absorb all the power not being consumed by other things.  Basically, it's a regulated short circuit that turns all the excess power into heat, which is why they get hot, which is likely closely related to their failure.

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The R/R has to absorb all the power not being consumed by other things.  Basically, it's a regulated short circuit that turns all the excess power into heat, which is why they get hot, which is likely closely related to their failure.

Which is why living in the north is better for your Bird.  😃

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Is there a way to test your r/r?  Or they either work or they don’t?

55 minutes ago, silverbird1100 said:

Recommend you install a small voltmeter on the dash. Voltage should be mid 12V to MAX 14.5V.  

Low voltage is usually either a bad battery or a weak stator

High voltage is almost always a bad R/R.  High voltage, ride straight home at 1500rpm. 

The old style R/R (OEM on blackbird) will get quite hot during normal use. New style R/R (FH012AA, FH020AA, SH847) as explained in the link I left in previous post, do not get hot.  Heat is the enemy of small electrical devices. 

4 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

The manual may have a procedure, not sure.  If the rectifier portion fails, the part that turns the stator's AC into DC, I expect low or no charging.  If the regulator portion fails, what controls voltage, it could cause over charging or undercharging.  A simple voltmeter test can tell you if it's working, but won't alert you while driving unless you install something on the bike.  A voltmeter, as Fizzy said, or there's another system that uses a single color changing light to indicate charging.  I have the light on mine, it will indicate low, normal, or high battery voltage.  Mine's mounted to the top of the instrument cluster in the gap below the windscreen.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:11 AM, fizzy said:

Recommend you install a small voltmeter on the dash. Voltage should be mid 12V to MAX 14.5V.  

Low voltage is usually either a bad battery or a weak stator

High voltage is almost always a bad R/R.  High voltage, ride straight home at 1500rpm. 

The old style R/R (OEM on blackbird) will get quite hot during normal use. New style R/R (FH012AA, FH020AA, SH847) as explained in the link I left in previous post, do not get hot.  Heat is the enemy of small electrical devices. 

I actually do have one, I'll keep an eye in it.  12-14.5V seems like a pretty wide range, seem to remember it steady around 14

5 hours ago, silverbird1100 said:

I actually do have one, I'll keep an eye in it.  12-14.5V seems like a pretty wide range, seem to remember it steady around 14

While cruising I'd expect it to be around 14, at low RPM it'll drop.  How much and how fast it drops depends on how much power is being used and how strong the battery is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 1:12 AM, silverbird1100 said:

How have the LED headlights turned out? I may be replacing the HID’s on my bike pretty soon and am interested. Is focus an issue? Are they plug & play or did you have to fiddle with installation? I remember hearing stuff about projectors and stuff like that. Anything to it?

I installed HID's in mine, turned night into day. Then installed a computer fan bolted to the R/R to keep it cooler, also put a volt meter in the right mirror. Then a powered oilier, then a cruise control, then ---- I guess I'll keep it.

Edited by OMG

20 hours ago, RXX said:

How have the LED headlights turned out? I may be replacing the HID’s on my bike pretty soon and am interested. Is focus an issue? Are they plug & play or did you have to fiddle with installation? I remember hearing stuff about projectors and stuff like that. Anything to it?

It's all working like new. As far as the extra R/R heat, I ran my old XX with the headlight (-edit- off)) for 50K and never had a problem. So I'm not too worried about these LED pulling less power. 

Edited by silverbird1100

15 hours ago, OMG said:

I installed HID's in mine, turned night into day. Then installed a computer fan bolted to the R/R to keep it cooler, also put a volt meter in the right mirror. Then a powered oilier, then a cruise control, then ---- I guess I'll keep it.

Both my birds have/had HID. Same for pro-oiler. Oscar got the CC from BB1 and I will put one on my current one if I can find one. Is yours the Autovox setup?

I have VM also. 3 actually. One in RH mirror that was transplanted from BB1, one on right of fuel tank, and one in the power adapter. I stay busy keeping them synchronized, like old SU carb setup on British sports cars.