CBR1100XX.org Forum

The sunshine vitamin

OMG

I take 4,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day, due to taking biological injections for my RA I have to avoid direct sunlight on my skin and light sensitivity to my eyes as well. 

Also take 1500mg of Turmeric, both are great for immune health, bone and joint health. 

I was placed on a 50,000 IU boost a few years ago when bloodwork showed my D3 low, after that 30 day prescription passed I just maintained my level with the 4,000 IU I take daily. 

14 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

I take 4,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day, due to taking biological injections for my RA I have to avoid direct sunlight on my skin and light sensitivity to my eyes as well. 

Also take 1500mg of Turmeric, both are great for immune health, bone and joint health. 

I was placed on a 50,000 IU boost a few years ago when bloodwork showed my D3 low, after that 30 day prescription passed I just maintained my level with the 4,000 IU I take daily. 

Was the amount of 1500mg for the Turmeric recommended or did you just choose that amount?

I also take 4K of D3 (never liked the sun) and a few months ago, starting take 500mg of Turmeric.  

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Was the amount of 1500mg for the Turmeric recommended or did you just choose that amount?

I also take 4K of D3 (never liked the sun) and a few months ago, starting take 500mg of Turmeric.  

Was from a little bit of research online and from reading labels of different brands. 

I don’t do well with red meats mainly beef, so while they may taste good there isn’t real benefit for me to eat them, even then the iron and stuff doesn’t add up to much for me to suffer. 

bison, venison and lamb don’t affect me nearly as bad as beef. 

just to help me live a normal life from other foods that may cause inflammatory joints I take the turmeric. 

Getting older is part of life, even my rheumatologist is amazed at my story of how RA was triggered in my system. Within a 48hr timeframe I went from OK to not OK, 

you don’t know how much pain you’re in or tolerate till it’s no longer there. A change of diet and some prevention such as turmeric has been a big part of me enjoying life

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

bison, venison and lamb don’t affect me nearly as bad as beef. 

Moriah will be deathly ill from beef, but not any of the others.  We theorize it could be the garbage and hormones given to factory cows.  But the results are too painful to try an experiment with clean beef.  It's four hours of "basically worse than being in labor."

16 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

you don’t know how much pain you’re in or tolerate till it’s no longer there. A change of diet

That sums up my joint pain, and other little things I/we all take for granted.  You don't know the cost of eating milk and cheese until you spend many months feeling good, try it, and realize what we do to ourselves.

Back on topic, my D levels keep going down, while I'm still taking 10k daily (or sometimes I forget, and do 20k following day).  I should get another test soon.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

I would keep an eye on the levels, taking too much can lead to D3 toxicity. 

I am at insufficient levels.  So there's just no risk of toxicity right now.  I'm so far from it, I may want to jump to 30k daily or get a shot.

Just read this:

How much vitamin D is too much?

Since relatively little is known about how vitamin D toxicity works, it’s hard to define an exact threshold for safe or toxic vitamin D intake (5Trusted Source).

According to the National Academy of Medicine, formerly known as the Institute of Medicine, 4,000 IU is the safe upper level of daily vitamin D intake. However, doses up to 10,000 IU have not been shown to cause toxicity in healthy individuals (11Trusted Source, 16Trusted Source).

Vitamin D toxicity is generally caused by excessive doses of vitamin D supplements, not by diet or sun exposure (17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source).

Although vitamin D toxicity is a very rare condition, recent increases in supplement use may lead to an increase in reported cases.

A daily intake ranging from 40,000–100,000 IU (1,000–2,500 mcg), for 1 to several months, has been shown to cause toxicity in humans (15Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source, 21Trusted Source, 22Trusted Source).

This is 10–25 times the recommended upper limit, in repeated doses. Individuals with vitamin D toxicity usually have blood levels above 150 ng/mL (375 nmol/L).

Several cases have also been caused by errors in manufacturing, when the supplements had 100–4,000 times higher amounts of vitamin D than stated on the package (19Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).

The blood levels in these cases of toxicity ranged from 257–620 ng/mL, or 644–1549 nmol/L.

Vitamin D toxicity is usually reversible, but severe cases may eventually cause kidney failure and calcification of the arteries (24Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).

I've found zero evidence that your intake directly causes toxicity, only your blood level does.  Meaning that one big dose doesn't matter (I mean, maybe not a whole bottle).  I have seen studies as high as 30k/day for a short term showing no issues.  Please tell me if you have seen otherwise.  Most experts, my doctor included, would be concerned if you approached 100 in a blood test, they target 50, and I'm barely over 30.  Below 30 is dangerous.  If I miss a couple days, I may take 30k once.

This part is scary but could happen with anything I guess.

Several cases have also been caused by errors in manufacturing, when the supplements had 100–4,000 times higher amounts of vitamin D than stated on the package (19Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source).

• 3 weeks later...

More advanced info on how much D3 you can take. And a source for high quality supplements.

Jeff has a number of best seller books.

https://jefftbowles.com/data-for-d3-cures1000-case-studies/

https://www.vitaspace.com/vitamins-minerals.htm

A bunch of anecdotal emails is not "over 1000 case studies" nor is it "data."  This should not be used as medical advice or guidance.  And the Vitaspace web site looks like it was made on Myspace in 1998.  Also, a paper form you can mail or FAX --FAX-- to order?  WTF.  Credibility 0.  I would urge caution.

Read at least one of his books, all good advice does not come from doctors alone.

Read a little further, vitaspace has been in business for 22 years so you are probably correct about the web site. They have a grocery store as well as selling bulk nutritionals to the packagers that the public buys from. Peter will sell to individuals if he believes that you will be careful with measuring.

Want D3? He has it, 500 grams for $80 - 100.000 IU per gram. That's enough for a few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I was still testing low on D a few months ago, I did another test today, and I also did a 50k D3 injection and some kind of B-combo "cluster bomb" or whatever she called it.  The whole thing is retarded cheap, fast and easy, $20 for both including some consultation with an RN and NP.  Wild.  (Cash pay at a "youth and spa" kind of place.  Well card pay, you know what I mean, no insurance.) I'll have my result in about a week, and scheduled a second injection in two weeks.  The NP will monitor and advise from there.

I go early next month for my routine blood panel and will checkup on the results. Still taking my daily amounts of D3, Turmeric and the Azo cranberry pill. So far it has been since Nov. or so since my last kidney stone. 

Did screw up last night, went out to dinner with some coworkers in Mt Airy NC. (where the show Andy Griffith was filmed) Everything was fried this, fried that, they had some special on steaks from a local raised farm and got a small one, some shrimp and beans. Will see how that goes, was over a year ago since I ate a steak. 

Probably won't feel much as a one time thing.  It takes a few days of eating junk for me to feel it, other than having to piss more often.  Visiting Miami, I may as well inject a whole ground pig ahead of time and get it over with.

What're you gonna eat in TX...?

The sun is out, I have a boat with 16 years of filth; vitamin D booster is on it's way!

It would be interesting to know what the pill IU equivalent effect is compared to a day in the sun.  I know Carlos seemed to absorb damn near nothing, but I don't know how much it might vary between different people of about the same age.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:26 AM, SwampNut said:

Probably won't feel much as a one time thing.  It takes a few days of eating junk for me to feel it, other than having to piss more often.  Visiting Miami, I may as well inject a whole ground pig ahead of time and get it over with.

What're you gonna eat in TX...?

Same as I do here at home, grilled or smoked white meats.

Steve did mention all these BBQ places we might check out, hope he doesn't forget the taco's as well. The last great Mexican joint I had around me changed hands and so did their flavor. All bland no matter what dish and went from making fresh tortilla chips to premade. There is one place 3hrs from me that is a Hispanic market, they also make fresh tortillas for packaging and use them straight from the oven at their lunch counter. Place is wild, you literally watch them being made while you shop or eat in. Small language barrier be damned, best taco's I have had outside of Texas. 

Goddammit, and now I'm too high, 107.  Fuck.  Something is making it unstable.  I had read that people had persistent low D3 after COVID, and I certainly did, so I ramped up the dosage.  Maybe the problem goes away?  Going to zero, and re test in a month (half life is 15 days, so about 75% of the supplements should be gone then.