CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motorcycle oil thread, because it's been too long.

superhawk996

I found this interesting.  My Harley manual states to only use Harley oil, of course.  The surprising part is that it says if you need oil and can't find Harley oil you can use Diesel engine oil to get by on.  Then, obviously, you need to change it as soon as possible so that it'll be back to pure Harley oil.

I was shocked that it suggests diesel oil instead of motorcycle oil.  Why would Harley state diesel oil, could it be better than motorcycle spec oils?  Then it hit me.  I wonder if Harley only suggests the diesel oil alternative to avoid having you think about using some other brand of motorcycle oil instead of theirs.  Like they're trying to convince you that those other oils are SO fuckin shitty that they're not even good enough to get you by in an emergency, but the diesel stuff that doesn't really belong in there is at least ok enough keep it alive till you can find Harley oil.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I found this interesting.  My Harley manual states to only use Harley oil, of course.  The surprising part is that it says if you need oil and can't find Harley oil you can use Diesel engine oil to get by on.  Then, obviously, you need to change it as soon as possible so that it'll be back to pure Harley oil.

I was shocked that it suggests diesel oil instead of motorcycle oil.  Why would Harley state diesel oil, could it be better than motorcycle spec oils?  Then it hit me.  I wonder if Harley only suggests the diesel oil alternative to avoid having you think about using some other brand of motorcycle oil instead of theirs.  Like they're trying to convince you that those other oils are SO fuckin shitty that they're not even good enough to get you by in an emergency, but the diesel stuff that doesn't really belong in there is at least ok enough keep it alive till you can find Harley oil.

Blithering nonsense. So much wrong I won't even get into it. You make fasle assumption, and then, verbal vomit. 

Anyway, please continue. 

Edited by tomek

28 minutes ago, tomek said:

Blithering nonsense. So much wrong I won't even get into it. You make fasle assumption, and then, verbal vomit. 

Anyway, please continue. 

Ok, then you tell me why they say to use diesel oil instead of motorcycle oil.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

They started selling Honda polish in their dealers so their riders wouldn't have the embarrassment of walking into a Honda dealer.

That's some funny shit.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

They started selling Honda polish in their dealers so their riders wouldn't have the embarrassment of walking into a Honda dealer.

Or maybe so they wouldn't discover that there are better bikes at half the price.

Guessing the language in the Harley manual is mostly for legal reasons, and just convenient that it also functions as a marketing tool.  Tool is also a convenient word in this context.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

There used to be a Harley/Honda dealer near me.  I never felt right being in there, like mixing milk with vinegar.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Ok, then you tell me why they say to use diesel oil instead of motorcycle oil.

Actually, diesel oil is accidentally good lubricant for motorcycle powerplants. I thought everyone knew that.

Something like Shell Rotella 5w/40 had or still has JASO MA specification, so it is even for motorcycles with wet clutch, transmission as well.

Except it is irrelevant in this case because traditionally HDs had separate lubrication systems for engine, transmission and primary. There might be powerplants like that from other makers, but vast majority has just one lubrication system, not three, and that dictates oil specifications.

So, HD engine oil has evidently not much to do with traditional "motorcycle oil" because requirements are vastly different. HDs have, at least, air cooled cylinders with big bores with necessary generous piston to cylinder clearance becouse that tend to run hot like fuck.

Diesel engines of semi truck have huge 130-160 mm bores, and under full power for 30 minutes or better climbing Independence Pass do run hot as fuck as well. It requires generous piston to cylinder clearance as well. Hence oil specifications.

So, diesel oil is better match, and on the top, is widely available. Walmart, truck stops, etc will have it. 24/7. Motorcycle dealers? Not so much. 

I don't see anything surprising 8n what they suggest.

And you? You'll never admit you were wrong, so couple pages of Latino Bull Shit is coming next.🤪

35 minutes ago, tomek said:

Actually, diesel oil is accidentally good lubricant for motorcycle powerplants. I thought everyone knew that.

Something like Shell Rotella 5w/40 had or still has JASO MA specification, so it is even for motorcycles with wet clutch, transmission as well.

Except it is irrelevant in this case because traditionally HDs had separate lubrication systems for engine, transmission and primary. There might be powerplants like that from other makers, but vast majority has just one lubrication system, not three, and that dictates oil specifications.

So, HD engine oil has evidently not much to do with traditional "motorcycle oil" because requirements are vastly different. HDs have, at least, air cooled cylinders with big bores with necessary generous piston to cylinder clearance becouse that tend to run hot like fuck.

Diesel engines of semi truck have huge 130-160 mm bores, and under full power for 30 minutes or better climbing Independence Pass do run hot as fuck as well. It requires generous piston to cylinder clearance as well. Hence oil specifications.

So, diesel oil is better match, and on the top, is widely available. Walmart, truck stops, etc will have it. 24/7. Motorcycle dealers? Not so much. 

I don't see anything surprising 8n what they suggest.

And you? You'll never admit you were wrong, so couple pages of Latino Bull Shit is coming next.🤪

I know diesel oil is good for bikes, I've been using it since long before the .org existed.  Harley piston/cylinder clearance spec is .0009"-.0015", if that's "generous piston to cylinder clearance" I'd love to hear what motor uses tight clearance.  There are tons of V-twin specific bike oils of the right viscosity so I see no good reason to suggest using a diesel oil of the wrong viscosity.  Diesel engines don't run hotter than gassers; the coolant temp is about the same and EGT and oil temps are typically lower in diesels than gassers.  Harley oil temps typically vary from the lower diesel temps to above gasser temps depending on conditions.

I've readily admitted to being wrong and have thanked people for correcting me, you're projecting your own mentality again.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

mAz0wE.gif

He's recently made some non-retarded and non-insulting posts so I thought maybe he'd have something other than the shit he posted here.

2 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

4 quarts of Klots was $62 a couple weeks ago. ...old stock. New inventory coning in will be over $80 per gallon.

That shit's spendy yo!

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I know diesel oil is good for bikes, I've been using it since long before the .org existed.  Harley piston/cylinder clearance spec is .0009"-.0015", if that's "generous piston to cylinder clearance" I'd love to hear what motor uses tight clearance.  There are tons of V-twin specific bike oils of the right viscosity so I see no good reason to suggest using a diesel oil of the wrong viscosity.  Diesel engines don't run hotter than gassers; the coolant temp is about the same and EGT and oil temps are typically lower in diesels than gassers.  Harley oil temps typically vary from the lower diesel temps to above gasser temps depending on conditions.

I've readily admitted to being wrong and have thanked people for correcting me, you're projecting your own mentality again.

Totally as I predicted. You guys would rather be castrated vs. admitting someone else might be right. 😁

Btw, I have an oil temperature gauge in my truck. Work. Oil temps are constantly above coolant temp.

You Just don't have a clue.

OUT.

Here, Mack mp8 engine, or basically glorified Volvo D13 with different paint job and valve cover.

Flat terrain, no load, 60 mph. 

Oil temps - 220-225 F

Coolant - 175-185 F 

IMG_20230216_074129316_HDR.thumb.jpg.7ff6d72d85dccb6005fa7a69bb7ed9a0.jpg

IMG_20230216_074157704_HDR.jpg

You're just digging a deeper hole stupid.  Of course the oil temp is higher than coolant temp, if it wasn't the engine would be fucked.  That doesn't change the fact that Diesel engine oil typically runs cooler than gas engine oil.

22 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

You're just digging a deeper hole stupid.  Of course the oil temp is higher than coolant temp, if it wasn't the engine would be fucked.  That doesn't change the fact that Diesel engine oil typically runs cooler than gas engine oil.

Utter Latino Bull Shit. Plowing more into a fucking nonsense, because, you know, you never admit of being clueless.

What else is new.

On older non egr diesel engines, or pre 2002, temps were about even. I drive another truck, Freightliner Cascadia glider with pre emission non Egr Detroit S60. Part of Jake Brake fell off, and damaged camshaft. In the shop now.

So, no pictures for now, but I should get her back in couple of weeks.

I'll post pictures, it will make you look even more stupid, if that could even be possible.

1 minute ago, tomek said:

Utter Latino Bull Shit. Plowing more into a fucking nonsense, because, you know, you never admit of being clueless.

What else is new.

On older non egr diesel engines, or pre 2002, temps were about even. I drive another truck, Freightliner Cascadia glider with pre emission non Egr Detroit S60. Part of Jake Brake fell off, and damaged camshaft. In the shop now.

So, no pictures for now, but I should get her back in couple of weeks.

I'll post pictures, it will make you look even more stupid, if that could even be possible.

So you're going to further prove what I said about Diesel engine oil running cool after stupidly arguing that they run "hot as fuck" just like a Harley...perfect.  While you're waiting for those unnecessary photo opportunities, look up Harley specs on piston to cylinder clearance so you can see how wrong you were about that "generous piston to cylinder clearance" statement as well.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, superhawk996 said:

I was shocked that it suggests diesel oil instead of motorcycle oil.  Why would Harley state diesel oil, 

Actually the answer is simple.  Harley riders can't read but are able to recognize certain words such as diesel and oil.   Makes it easy if they have to go into a store to get oil requiring them to only look for two words.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, fizzy said:

No, too soon. 

Apparently, at least for one hothead driven by a pointless grudge and unable to see the point of the OP at all.

One of the oil test places did a bunch of comparisons of diesel oil in "every" machine they could find in their data, and they all seemed just fine.