CBR1100XX.org Forum

Giant white corn with red chiles (vegan red posole)

SwampNut

Real food, real fun, not very hot unless you specifically use a lot of hot chiles.  I use a variety of medium and mild, then I can add some hot sauce to tune it, and change the flavor for variety.  Hatch reds, chilaquiles, ancho, etc etc.  I typically use 4-5 types.  The giant corn is savory, not sweet, with a very chewy and meaty quality.  Very satisfying.

Three medium onions (or about, whatever, not critical), diced but don't need to be super small.  Again, whatever you like.  Saute in the Instant Pot if you have one, or stove if you're still living in the 90s.

Two pounds (ish) of peeled hominy corn, soaked for at least 8 hours but preferably 12-20 hours.  This is called "mote pelado" and may be called nixtamal.  But some nixtamal still has the husks, and I find that annoying to eat.  All pelado has the husks off and is nixtamal (treated with an acid).

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MUUO5IU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Cut the stems off a shitload of dried red chiles, shake out the seeds (not important to get them all out), and toast them in a wok or large pan. You want the pan on the hotter end, and for them to just slightly smolder and darken.  Stir often.  I use a LOT of them, because they are the star of this meal.  You want a rich thick red heavy soup at the end of it.  I use enough to about half fill the large wok shown below, twice, cooking each batch separately.

Put them into a blender in reasonable sized batches along with 1-2 bunches of cilantro, and about 6 cups of broth or water.  You can add more later as needed.  Add a bit of potassium chloride, or salt if you must, 1-2 tbsp cumin, same amount of Mexican oregano, in the first batch.  Also about 1/4 lime juice is good, not critical.  Blend smooth.  Add to the onions you already cooked, and put in the corn.

Set the IP to custom pressure cook, 30 minutes, high pressure.  Allow it to natural release (15-ish minutes).  Set the IP to slow cook on low, cook at least three hours, but five is nice.  Stir about every 30 minutes.

If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can just slow cook or simmer it all for about 6-8 hours.

You can, of course, add meat if you'd like to reduce the nutritional value...

84405618-CDEC-47AF-B97E-6555F376F230_1_105_c.jpeg

6BE68B52-FD8B-4AEC-8FD2-F3EADAF00EC5_1_102_a.jpeg

I forgot serving ideas.

Avocado is fantastic with this.

More fresh cilantro on top.

More lime juice.

Shredded cabbage

Radishes are also really awesome with this.

Corn tortilla, corn chips

Thin sliced or small chopped white onion on top