CBR1100XX.org Forum

Will you drink milk from Chinese cloned super-cows?

SwampNut

problem with most alternative milks is the calcium levels that are there. I have to avoid calcium as it causes me to to have kidney stones. I got some almost milk and compared the the % calcium to all brands and I was better off drinking regular milk than almond milk. Even orange juice has a big push with their 50% more added calcium. 

I just avoid real and fake dairy except for my morning coffee, little bit of half and half and the world is a better place. Half the time the 1qt container goes bad before I finish using it. 

Wow, that's an interesting problem, when "everyone" tries to fortify things with calcium.  Have you looked at the oat and coconut alternatives?  I don't KNOW anything about their calcium levels, just suggesting you look.  Coconut is particularly useful since it's aseptic, so you can buy a case and put it in the pantry.  In stores it's in the section with other Tetra Pak products like shell stable juice.

• Upvote 1

Look each time I go to different stores to compare brands. Looked at oat and almond so far and there was one brand that was close to real milk but a tad higher. 

Haven’t looked at coconut, will take a look next time I am at the store, 

I do have some non dairy vegan cream cheese for use on bagels, it is mainly water, coconut oil, potato starch. 
Normally doctor it up with some jalapeños or give a couple dashes of a hot sauce. Very bland by itself

On 2/19/2023 at 10:26 AM, SwampNut said:

Oat milk seems to be the best all-around option.  Remember to shake the hell out of it before use.

Ashley recently bought some oat milk and it was right next to the half & half, I grabbed it not knowing, not a fan.  After putting it back I saw the "shake well".  I considered another try, but it was too early to deal with two cups of wierd stuff when I was hankering for a cup of coffee.

We don't put it in coffee, so no opinion there.  But yeah, what you got was mostly water and the soluble additives.  

15 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

I do have some non dairy vegan cream cheese for use on bagels, it is mainly water, coconut oil, potato starch. 
Normally doctor it up with some jalapeños or give a couple dashes of a hot sauce. Very bland by itself

There is a monstrous variation in the quality and flavor of various non-dairy products.  Kite Hill seems to be a consistent favorite here.  I recently did a back to back test of sour creams, and it won, even over the dairy cream.  It was actually more creamy and more tangy.  But the Simple Truth supposed sour cream is more like a light cream cheese, and it was ok on a bagel.  Nutritional yeast can turn up the cheesy tang plus provide solid nutrition.  The Fry's/Kroger house brand fake shredded cheeses would never convince you they are cheese if you just eat them, but on/in something, they are the same as your basic cheap shredded cheese. 

Our Fry's is your Kroger, in general, but the specific items definitely vary by location.  Our area seems to be at the forefront on animal replacement products, I've been surprised at the selection here.  But go 30-some miles south to the South Phoenix/Maricopa area, and not so much.

Another good sour cream and cheese option is Treeline, who ships, but it's pricey.  I've chatted with their president and it's obvious they really care about quality.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, fucking vegans.  There's an argument about wether honey is vegan or not.  The bees are not damaged, but, they are forced into slavery to make it.  And supposedly when you "steal" the honey they work harder to make more.  Hahahaha, and if you think I'm making that up, google it, no, they are that retarded.

I love using the term "mostly vegan" because it draws out the nutty gatekeepers.  "YOU CAN'T BE MOSTLY VEGAN."  Mmmmm...fish on, let's go.

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I should make a website with videos of my grass growing.  It would be a hit.

That's very similar to a lot of videos you already post, so you're right.