CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clogged carbs, it finally struck me.

superhawk996

I've boasted a few times about how great our California gas is that my bike repeatedly sits for months without issue, but it finally bit me.  Last ride, a few months back, it appeared that one idle jet was clogged.  I didn't want to take it apart so I just dealt with it hoping it would clear.  Toward the end of the ride it had gotten a little better.  Since so many tout Seafoam I grabbed a bottle and poured some in.  The last leg home it seemed to be doing better so I thought the cleaner must be doing it's job.  I had planned to take another ride to finish clearing it, then life happened and it sat a few months.

This time it was really bad.  I tried to ride through it dreading going into the carbs, but no way.  It was dangerous to ride.  Then I discovered how easy it is to drop the bowls without pulling the carbs, had I known I wouldn't have waited.  It helps that someone had replaced the JIS bowl screws with Allens.  I'm planning to install a valve in the vacuum line to the petcock so I can run it dry before parking, possibly a 3 way valve so I can prime it before cranking.  Or maybe finally sell it....but not sure I can convince myself.

• Upvote 1

I forgot to say, the bowls were a lot cleaner than I expected.  A tiny bit of brown sediment which is common with any carb even when they're working fine.  No green shit, and no goo, just totally clogged jets.  Spray cleaner wouldn't bust through, had to use a wire to poke them out.

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I forgot to say, the bowls were a lot cleaner than I expected.  A tiny bit of brown sediment which is common with any carb even when they're working fine.  No green shit, and no goo, just totally clogged jets.  Spray cleaner wouldn't bust through, had to use a wire to poke them out.

Draining is a good idea, but that doesn't help the old shit in the tank.  Fuel preservative, or at least ethanol treatment.

In the SW environment, I've never had tank issues at all.  Even from years of old gas.  But jets clog so fucking easily.  I don't know how many neighbors I've helped with a wire and some carb cleaner.  One summer of not riding, and a bike/quad/generator may be fucked when riding season starts.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It helps that someone had replaced the JIS bowl screws with Allens.

I would say that made all the difference.  BTW- with all the mechanical stuff you do daily, why the " dreading going into the carbs"?  It really isn't that hard.  The idle jets are so small no wonder they plug up.  Here is what I don't understand, YOU LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, why is the bike sitting for so long?  Don't you run to the store to get smokes or something or go to see a friend?  Riding is good for the brain.

Lastly, like Jon said, put stuff in the gas to keep it from clogging up.  

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

mug,standard,x334,right-pad,600x600,f8f8

In contrast, the fuel injected bike I just finished getting running had a seized fuel pump, broken pressure hoses, and stuck injectors.  It required new parts and more work.

FUCK EFI!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

Draining is a good idea, but that doesn't help the old shit in the tank.  Fuel preservative, or at least ethanol treatment.

I've never had issues with gas in the tank going bad.  The Porsche I recently resurrected sat about 10 years and the gas was still good enough to not have issues.  I drained it because it's a fucking Porsche so it got new premium, but the old gas went into the forklift and F-150.

5 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

BTW- with all the mechanical stuff you do daily, why the " dreading going into the carbs"?

With many bikes they have to be removed to open them and the nearly 30 year old rubber boots are probably not rubber any more.

8 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Here is what I don't understand, YOU LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, why is the bike sitting for so long?  Don't you run to the store to get smokes or something or go to see a friend?

I don't buy smokes, I make them.  The only store runs are for parts/supplies that often can't be reasonably or easily carried on a bike.  The only friend I visit somewhat frequently is either to help with something nesessitating tools and/or to hang out on the patio which means drinking.  I have left the bike there overnight before, the 'quick visits' often turn into 5 hours of working his keg and various bottles.  I usually leave in reasonable condition to drive home, but often not reasonable to ride.

And the biggest killer, since I don't have a covered place to park it it lives under a cover in a spot that is somewhat of a pain and often blocked by a car and/or stuff.  And it has to be backed in carefully because there's little space.

9 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

With many bikes they have to be removed to open them and the nearly 30 year old rubber boots are probably not rubber any more.

I don't buy smokes, I make them.  The only store runs are for parts/supplies that often can't be reasonably or easily carried on a bike.  The only friend I visit somewhat frequently is either to help with something nesessitating tools and/or to hang out on the patio which means drinking.  I have left the bike there overnight before, the 'quick visits' often turn into 5 hours of working his keg and various bottles.  I usually leave in reasonable condition to drive home, but often not reasonable to ride.

And the biggest killer, since I don't have a covered place to park it it lives under a cover in a spot that is somewhat of a pain and often blocked by a car and/or stuff.  And it has to be backed in carefully because there's little space.

Well I understand why inconvenience makes the lack of use.  I keep my Stang in storage unit.  To use it, I have to drive to it, uncover the car pull it out, put whatever I drove in the garage and drive home.  Of course having to reverse that to put it back usually in the same day. Should be better this year since I won't need a vehicle to go to work.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

The Porsche I recently resurrected sat about 10 years and the gas was still good enough to not have issues.

EFI?

happy-kid-sitting-chair-fishing_1308-121

Sometimes I don't ride the motorcycle because I have to move two--TWO--ebikes to get out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I've never had issues with gas in the tank going bad.  The Porsche I recently resurrected sat about 10 years and the gas was still good enough to not have issues.  I drained it because it's a fucking Porsche so it got new premium, but the old gas went into the forklift and F-150.

The climate there definitely helps with regard to tank issues, but for pennies per treatment, and what can happen if you forget to drain............just ride the damn thing more often.  I sold my Birds, because I knew I wouldn't ride them often enough.  Both, now have good homes.  If you love something, love it (stabilizer), or let it go.