CBR1100XX.org Forum

The Fat-Blocking and Appetite-Suppressing Effects of Thylakoids (cooked greens)

SwampNut

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-fat-blocking-and-appetite-suppressing-effects-of-thylakoids/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=774fe616e7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_7_26_2022_12_48_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-774fe616e7-28710906&mc_cid=774fe616e7&mc_eid=6bf37ade4d

Good video, short and to the point.

Summary:  Thylakoids, a naturally occurring chemical, was shown to reduce overall hunger and subsequent calorie consumption.  It specifically reduces the desire for sweets.

Here is a decent study on a supplemented diet relative to weight loss:

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12937-020-00601-4

Results

After the 12-week intervention, there were significant decreases in weight (− 6.97 ± 0.52 vs. -3.19 ± 0.72 kg; P < 0.001), waist circumference (− 7.78 ± 2.50 vs. -3.73 ± 1.40 cm; P < 0.001), fat mass (− 5.19 ± 0.53 vs. -1.36 ± 0.39 kg; P < 0.001), and insulin levels (− 5.40 ± 1.86 vs. -1.19 ± 0.85 μU/mL; P < 0.001) in the spinach-derived thylakoid group compared to the placebo group. Furthermore, insulin resistance markers and serum levels of testosterone decreased significantly in the thylakoid group compared to the placebo group (P < 0.05). The changes in other parameters did not show significant differences between the two groups.

And one on reported satiety/hunger:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4600649/

Results: Compared to placebo, consuming the spinach extract reduced hunger (p < 0.01) and longing for food over 2 hours (p < 0.01) and increased postprandial plasma glucose concentrations (p < 0.01). There were no differences in plasma lipids and energy intake at dinner, but males showed a trend toward decreased energy intake (p = 0.08).

49 minutes ago, TFT said:

Do you use any type of spinach extract in your diet or do you depend on adding spinach to your meals?

Before this morning, the latter.  What did I buy this week?

image.png

The powder should work well in smoothies.  I had been using a multi-veggie powder but ran out.  This prompted me to get back on it.

I've used the bulk powder in two smoothies; banana peanut butter, and pineapple coconut vanilla.  I used a big ass heaping teaspoon before reading that the dosage is 1/3 TSP, which seems like nothing.  Can you OD?  The flavor was imperceptible in the peanut-banana, and barely "green" in the pineapple.

Smoothie tip:  A tiny pinch of potassium chloride/salt and cayenne pepper wake up the flavor but you won't actually taste either.  Moriah who is very sensitive to heat and pepper flavors says it's better with it.

Oat milk substitute is my new go-to for smoothies.  It has an airier feel when blended, like it has become slightly foamed/whipped.  

Standard canned full-fat coconut milk gives a super rich feel to it while still being a whole food and not too crazy in calories for the amount uses.  Probably around 2 TBSP per large smoothie.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I've used the bulk powder in two smoothies; banana peanut butter, and pineapple coconut vanilla.  I used a big ass heaping teaspoon before reading that the dosage is 1/3 TSP, which seems like nothing.  Can you OD?

But the real question is, was your fat blocked and appetite suppressed?  🤔