CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hyundai "thermal events" and recalls

SwampNut

t5vib4694bfa1.jpg

I don't know the details, but if you own these cars, check for recalls and TSBs.  I've been told that not all affected models are recalled, and Hyundai is claiming that "thermal events" are not common.  LOL.  A temp fix is to pull the trailer fuse.

All of the above is from normally credible sources but I didn't research it as I don't own one.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

All of the above is from normally credible sources but I didn't research it

Why the fuck would you start researching before commenting now? 

If nothing else it makes great humor for the audience. Take another hit......

• Crackhead post 1

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Thermal event; is that what they call a carbeque these days?

Kind of like asking a Korean to wok your dog.

This is a 2016, so there's something deeper going on.

816F0ED6-83B8-4582-B184-FF6978B27405_1_105_c.jpeg

Bought one of their Sonatas a decade or so ago. Nice car for the most part if you paid no attention to their poor quality, inability to tell the truth or listen to their customers about issues. 

Every time that car left on a rollback I would take a picture, then when people didnt believe they were a POS car and company I would show them the slideshow. 

Had hopes of Hyundai being bankrupted and all dealerships burned to the ground by now from their faulty vehicles. Appears that has started in a way. 

2 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

Bought one of their Sonatas a decade or so ago. Nice car for the most part if you paid no attention to their poor quality, inability to tell the truth or listen to their customers about issues. 

Every time that car left on a rollback I would take a picture, then when people didnt believe they were a POS car and company I would show them the slideshow. 

Had hopes of Hyundai being bankrupted and all dealerships burned to the ground by now from their faulty vehicles. Appears that has started in a way. 

They've improved A LOT in the past decade... as they improved a lot from when they were introduced in the 80's. 

Speaking for me personally - 50,000 miles on a Tucson - build quality right there with other similar makes/brands, price point is good, comp maintenance was great, and other than the traditional maint items - zero issues. 

I remember when you were looking at a Velocitor (sp) - that was a cute car too... my neighbors kid has the Turbo R model - I like it.

I like the Palisades - HUGE car - the pick up truck appealed to me too.  

Just don’t get 2010- 2013 Sonatas. They had a class action lawsuit for failed engines. My daughter had to get a new engine and so did my neighbor like a week apart. Both no charge based on lawsuit. 

1 hour ago, googus said:

Just don’t get 2010- 2013 Sonatas. They had a class action lawsuit for failed engines. My daughter had to get a new engine and so did my neighbor like a week apart. Both no charge based on lawsuit. 

Subaru has has class action lawsuits on oil consumption and motor issues for 50 years.

That engine issue is WAY beyond 10-13.  I can't tell you how many Hyundai/Kia I see with either junkyard engines or reman/replacement engines.

I think it's like 07-10 GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse 3.6VVT is THE WORST ENGINE OF ALL TIME in my book.  I thought the Northstar was bad until that POS came out.  Good Lord what a piece of crap.

Worst combo again goes to GM.  Engine/trans issues in Trailblazer/Envoy.  I bet I've inspected 300+ of those for rebuilt titles and there MIGHT be 20 that have matching engine/trans combos.  Hands down the worst in that category as either one (sometimes both) will be swapped.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

The Toyota Subarus, or Subaru Subaru, or the Fuji Subaru, or.......?

Flat 4 and 6 engines. So, Subaru. Engines with horizontal cylinders have a tendency to burn oil. Most of that happens during start up. 

Porsche owners bitch about it as well, but manufacturer claims  1 qt per 800 miles is O.K. lol.

Of course, people buying Japanese car won't put up with that level of oil consumption hence lawsuits.

20 hours ago, DBLXX said:

They've improved A LOT in the past decade... as they improved a lot from when they were introduced in the 80's. 

Speaking for me personally - 50,000 miles on a Tucson - build quality right there with other similar makes/brands, price point is good, comp maintenance was great, and other than the traditional maint items - zero issues. 

I remember when you were looking at a Velocitor (sp) - that was a cute car too... my neighbors kid has the Turbo R model - I like it.

I like the Palisades - HUGE car - the pick up truck appealed to me too.  

19 hours ago, googus said:

Mine was a 2012 Sonata and it was junk. Just wanted something nice for commuting to work, did like the Veloster, was like a go-cart for street use but rough on the kidneys so I opted for the Sonata. My experience with the company, multiple dealerships and car issues is one that I will never go through again. As I said, hope they go bankrupt and every dealership burns to the ground. 

My Charger got the same mpg as a Sonata. I have gotten better MPG in my wifes Scat Pack Challenger than that Sonata would get. Had a TPS sensor go out after a few months of ownership. That involved no less than 12 phone calls where everyone from sales, shop manager and dealership managers blew me off for bringing it in for warranty repair. Eventually ended with one of the regional managers contacting me after it was finally repaired about "my experience". Explaining to him that it might be a great idea to tell your sales people to not answer the phone and give advice for warranty repairs. 

There was that time the rollback driver cussed me out because his GPS said my address was different than my real location. I was standing next to the car 20ft from the road as he drove by and called a few minutes later because he was at a field. Then to later receive a call from dealership #2 that they wouldn't accept the car. This also led to a cute screaming match between the driver and dealership. After that issue was solved that dealership tried to scam us out of our warranty for the repairs and something else about payment on the repairs. Let my lovely wife handle this as she does this work daily, notified them that what they were asking for was illegal and could only imagine how many people they have screwed over. Fun times. 

I could go on with the shifter linkage breaking leaving the car in reverse, fuel pump taking a shit 200 miles from home, breaking off lug nuts, ignorant 10 page print offs of services needed at 40k miles like the coolant system and trans fluid flushes and probably a few other stories and rollback trips.

I did like the looks of the Telluride till I saw who made it, would rather walk than own a Hyundai ever again. 

Thankfully these days I have a company vehicle for work which covers all maintenance and fuel. Waiting patiently for my new one to be built, ordered a F250 4x4 crew cab long bed back in October. Talked to them a few weeks ago on status and seems I should have it by mid to late Spring. 

16 hours ago, tomek said:

Porsche owners bitch about it as well, but manufacturer claims  1 qt per 800 miles is O.K. lol.

My Carrera doesn't seem to burn, but I haven't put many miles on it yet.  The most common cause for burning is a failed air/oil separator (part of the PCV system) or scored cylinders.  My buddy's Boxter made clouds at start-up which is relatively common, mine never has visible smoke even after weeks of sitting.

16 hours ago, tomek said:

Of course, people buying Japanese car won't put up with that level of oil consumption hence lawsuits.

I find it funny how people with "high end/specialty/expensive" cars & bikes excuse a lot of flaws.  I made several unpopular posts in the Jaguar and Ducati forums about their shityness.  The only group that's as forgiving are China bike owners, but that I agree with since they're about half the price of a Jap bike and 1/4 of an Italian.  It seemed like the China bikes actually had fewer problems than the Italians, and they were typically cheap & easy fixes.

I read of several Ducatis being totaled by 0 MPH drops.  The steering stops were/are fairly weak and since they're part of the frame the only 'proper' repair is a new frame.  They can be a smokin deal at insurance auctions.

9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I hope you ordered the Godzilla motor for it.  I hear nothing but great things about it.

I did tell them I wanted the 7.3L V8 option. Problem is you give a list of your wants/needs to people who have never changed their own oil or drove anything but Civic's and Camrys. In their minds all trucks and engines are the same. Which explains why the electrical team all drive F350's and 3500's and carry a couple hundred pounds worth of stuff. 

22 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

My Carrera doesn't seem to burn, but I haven't put many miles on it yet.  The most common cause for burning is a failed air/oil separator (part of the PCV system) or scored cylinders.  My buddy's Boxter made clouds at start-up which is relatively common, mine never has visible smoke even after weeks of sitting.

I find it funny how people with "high end/specialty/expensive" cars & bikes excuse a lot of flaws.  I made several unpopular posts in the Jaguar and Ducati forums about their shityness.  The only group that's as forgiving are China bike owners, but that I agree with since they're about half the price of a Jap bike and 1/4 of an Italian.  It seemed like the China bikes actually had fewer problems than the Italians, and they were typically cheap & easy fixes.

I read of several Ducatis being totaled by 0 MPH drops.  The steering stops were/are fairly weak and since they're part of the frame the only 'proper' repair is a new frame.  They can be a smokin deal at insurance auctions.

22 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I find it funny how people with "high end/specialty/expensive" cars & bikes excuse a lot of flaws.  

Well, oil that leaks out of pistons (while parked) in "normal" engine with vertical cylinders just ends up in the crank case. No harm.

With horizontal cylinders it wets cylinder walls and gets burned during start up, hence smoke.

Of course no Goldwing owner has ever complained about oil consumption, but that's Honda.

And the second part of your post, fuck yea. Owners of expensive European cars have been brainwashed into many, many things. But it is basically a cover for sloppy, lazy engineering. No Camry or Accord owner would ever put up with the notion new radiator every 50 k miles is a part of maintenance. Etc. Lol.

Well, if any of Hyundai owners want trailer outlet they should buy something Chinesium on eBay for 9.99$ instead of going to the dealership. 

Better engineered, better quality and your Hyundai won't end up as a ball of fire.

Just saying.