CBR1100XX.org Forum

Autophagy

OMG

There is pretty credible evidence that even 12-16 hour fasting can really help a lot.  I try to eat by 7pm, and almost never eat before 11am, but try to push it to noon.  There's also a matter of what you eat; a lot of animal products and sugars will kill this process.  And inflammatory agents like processed oils and salt will also slow/stop autophagy.

22 hours ago, SwampNut said:

There is pretty credible evidence that even 12-16 hour fasting can really help a lot.

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Does that apply if you are sleeping half of it?

Ever wonder why it's called break fast?

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Does that apply if you are sleeping half of it?

Yes!!  For sure.  In fact there's a lot of bodily housecleaning going on during sleep.  So basically just eat dinner earlier (hard for me) and push past breakfast or avoid it (easy for me), done.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually don't eat breakfast 'till close to noon except some weekend days.  Sitting here having breakfast at just after 9.  I've often found that if I eat diner late, especially something carby, I get hungry earlier.  I've even woken up hungry a few times.  Seems backwards, but I assume that the late meal prevented me from going into fasting mode, or something like that.

Edited by superhawk996

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

I usually don't eat breakfast 'till close to noon except some weekend days.  Sitting here having breakfast at just after 9.  I've often found that if I eat diner late, especially something carby, I get hungry earlier.  I've even woken up hungry a few times.  Seems backwards, but I assume that the late meal prevented me from going into fasting mode, or something like that.

You're onto something there.  I don't know it exactly, but I've seen reference to this exact thing by nutritionists.

Yesterday and today I had something like early-ish (10:30) because I am going to be doing things for the day and both want some energy and won't have time to eat.  I feel bloated now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to do single-meal days right now, let's see how it goes.  One down (yesterday); had dinner on Sunday about 6, nothing until 6:30 last night.  That was composed of a kilo of Brussels Sprouts and close to a pound of potatoes, with a bit of coconut sour cream and onion.  The sprouts were marinated in balsamic and Za'Atar seasoning.  I should be shitting like a pet monkey today.

Challenging but still holding out today.  Aside from starting to get hungry by 11, there's just the habit of a break and making lunch.

Just realized tomorrow I have a family lunch tomorrow.  I can just not eat, but people are so amazingly weird about that.  I don't care, except I care for how they feel.  Why do people act like there's something wrong if you choose not to eat?  This is something I run into all the time as I choose not to eat on a schedule or eat junk.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Why do people act like there's something wrong if you choose not to eat?

If they are making the food, it might come across like you don't care for what they prepared.  I know there were times we were just sitting down to eat supper and someone would stop in to visit.  They refused to join in and it felt weird eating in front of them.  

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Challenging but still holding out today.  Aside from starting to get hungry by 11, there's just the habit of a break and making lunch.

Just realized tomorrow I have a family lunch tomorrow.  I can just not eat, but people are so amazingly weird about that.  I don't care, except I care for how they feel.  Why do people act like there's something wrong if you choose not to eat?  This is something I run into all the time as I choose not to eat on a schedule or eat junk.

I now find myself asking a very important question around "mealtimes" - "am I really hungry?"  Sure, I could always eat something, but am I truly hungry?  I think a great deal of our eating (and overeating) is the programmed aspect of mealtimes in schedules as well as the socialization that happens around the table, counter, or tailgate.

The flip side of that is if I allow myself to get overly hungry, I can over-order and over-consume.  This brings up another realization: am I eating until I'm just no longer hungry, or until I'm full?  There's really little need to get "full" in modern society, with the ability to have food on hand nearly all the time.  It would take some discipline, but if one ate only when actually hungry and only ate to the point where the hunger is satiated, one could be pretty healthy even on a less strict diet. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

If they are making the food

I would totally understand that, and would just eat.  I'm talking about going to a restaurant.

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

Sure, I could always eat something, but am I truly hungry?

A great thing to ask ourselves, for sure.

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

It would take some discipline, but if one ate only when actually hungry and only ate to the point where the hunger is satiated, one could be pretty healthy even on a less strict diet. 

I need to work on this, a lot.  I'm not sure where I'm going to start.  Or, where I will start after all previous failures.

3:30 and I'm feeling alright.  Maybe I'll just turn this into a fast until tomorrow's lunch.

This is going well and getting far easier.  Yesterday for the family lunch, I had tofu noodles and a few bites of a poke bowl, then nothing for the rest of the day.  I'm mildly hungry, not starving.  I didn't expect to beat my brain and body into a new paradigm in just a few days.  It will get fucked next week when I travel, but going to keep it up until then.  It will be interesting on Saturday as I have a big MTB group ride planned and will be running it with zero body fuel.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, SwampNut said:

It will be interesting on Saturday as I have a big MTB group ride planned and will be running it with zero body fuel.

Absolutely complete failure.  Not compatible with exercise, even a bit.  Now, we did go on a harder than usual single-track, but my brain ran out of thinking juice three miles in and I crashed.  Could have been worse, I landed in an Ocotillo instead of a Saguaro or jumping cactus.  Or the other option, continuing off the cliff.  It fucked the ride completely and we turned back.

On the other hand, it was an off day for all of us.  We don't know why.  One of my usual riding partners kept getting stuck on hill climbs and she's usually just powering up everything, at 120 pounds.  Another kept sticking on technical rocky shit he's good at.  Dunno.  Mars in retrograde?

But I am WIPED the fuck out, feel terrible.  Got dizzy and nauseous.  One of the nutritionists I follow says that weight loss/calorie restriction are one thing, and exercise should never be mixed with it.

• Useful/Thanks! 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SwampNut said:

One of the nutritionists I follow says that weight loss/calorie restriction are one thing, and exercise should never be mixed with it.

Isn't that kind of:

Ad of the Day: Captain Obvious Stars in the Ultimate Skippable Ad for ...

I mean you don't drain the fuel out of your motorcycle and then go for a ride, right?

You'd think, but most "trainers" and fitness "experts" do recommend combining them.  I'd say the majority of advice to lose weight is to do both.  There's also the fact that athletes in ketosis can perform ok.  But intermittent fasting probably isn't enough to be ketogenic.

Today we have our semi-monthly whisky tasting, so I'll eat around 1, and possibly a few bites of something after the tasting, about 4pm.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, IcePrick said:

I now find myself asking a very important question around "mealtimes" - "am I really hungry?"  Sure, I could always eat something, but am I truly hungry?

How does one know?  Is it the "hunger pain" that is the sign?  Is it a slight headache?  How would a person know if they are hungry?  

Didn't know that word meant Intermittent Fasting.  

1 hour ago, DBLXX said:

Didn't know that word meant Intermittent Fasting.  

It doesn't.  Autophagy is a repair process in the body; it happens when your body is not fueling itself.  It will definitely kick off with multi day fasting, some claim that 20 hours is enough, some say maybe not for everyone.  I haven't studied it deeply.  What I've seen does seem to show that most people go into it with 20 hours of no calories.  This means also no juices.

On 3/12/2023 at 4:11 AM, blackhawkxx said:

Isn't that kind of:

Ad of the Day: Captain Obvious Stars in the Ultimate Skippable Ad for ...

I mean you don't drain the fuel out of your motorcycle and then go for a ride, right?

When I was fully fasting I worked a fairly physical job with no issues.  When I was semi-fasting I did 1-2 hours in the gym after 8-10 hours at that job with no issues.  I know some people that fall apart in less than a day to trying to do a fast.  Everyone's different, plus people can condition themselves to do things outside their comforts.

One of my ex GFs was a Dr. that did a stint at a supervised fasting facility, I didn't know that shit existed.  According to her my fast was quite dangerous, but she said that if you feel 100% the whole time it's somewhat safe.  According to that 'expert' there's the potential of your body eating it's organs behind your back and then suddenly dying or becoming super fucked.  We hooked up after my fast so it didn't change anything for me.  I fasted when I was in my early-mid 20's, also something to consider since everyone in this conversation is over double that age.

My 'fasting' was actually wrong because I'd have coffee with sugar (and maybe cream?) every morning meaning that I broke my fast every morning.  As I stated earlier, I wasn't doing it with any real thought or research.  From the little I know, that made it harder on my body, but maybe it was the secrete ingredient that made it easy.  Next time I'm a fat 20something year old I'll try it again without the cream and sugar to see.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:22 AM, SwampNut said:

Today we have our semi-monthly whisky tasting, so I'll eat around 1, and possibly a few bites of something after the tasting, about 4pm.

Drinking on empty definitely makes me drunk, that experiment has been conducted enough to know the guaranteed outcome.  Eating afterwords doesn't help, and maybe hurts.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I know some people that fall apart in less than a day to trying to do a fast.

The first 16-48 hours are the hardest for most.

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

According to that 'expert' there's the potential of your body eating it's organs behind your back and then suddenly dying or becoming super fucked.  

Yeah, I know someone who went into a supervised fast and somewhere on day 7 (approximate, long but not super long) he felt constantly dizzy, constantly overwhelmed by feeling awful, and blood tests said he was in terrible shape.  He was one of only two people they'd ever seen react like that.

Re-feeding is also a time when many people die, either from purposeful fasts or being lost in the wilderness.

Disney has a national geo series feturing the Thor actor Chris Helmsworth, Limitless - interesting if you want to know what to do to stay healthy longer.

Mostly for show but there are some solid practices.