CBR1100XX.org Forum

Self-standing funnels that re-capture the fluids when you set them down

SwampNut

Not sure about being default design. Fluid will flow even slower with bend like that. I don't have all day to watch oil slowly disappearing in the funnel. Not all of us live in places where average temperature is 120 F, and consequentry most automotive fluids have almost no viscosity even at room temperature.

But anyway, I'd definitely get one for those special occasions. 

On 12/30/2022 at 10:16 AM, tomek said:

Not sure about being default design. Fluid will flow even slower with bend like that. I don't have all day to watch oil slowly disappearing in the funnel. Not all of us live in places where average temperature is 120 F, and consequentry most automotive fluids have almost no viscosity even at room temperature.

But anyway, I'd definitely get one for those special occasions. 

The bend should have no impact since the diameter is considerably smaller after it.

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Or make them so cheap that you just throw them away after one use.  We are in a throw away world now.

Even if they were free it would be hard for me, but I might get over it.

I need a funnel for car fluids maybe three times a year in a busy year, they would likely be disposable for me.  

Basic cheap PLA is under $20/kilo, it can hit $15.  My slicer tells me that the large funnel uses 132g so $2.50-ish.  I personally don't see a use for the large.  The "thicc" version scaled to 50%, which is what seems most useful to me, uses 31g, so about 70 cents.  That model at 75% uses 80g.  

Both models start at 250mm long and 135mm at their widest point.  "Thicc" has double-thick walls so that when you scale it down, you don't end up with unprintably thin walls with a generic (cheap) printer.

PLA should be great against most automotive fluids, definitely not acetone, and possibly not brake cleaner.