CBR1100XX.org Forum

Titanium vs. Stainless Steel

tomek

22 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

...F=MA...

Lobe angle? What it the acceleration at 13,000 RPMs?

How much does the force change up in the thin air?

Nottin' to do at work? I can send you lift vs. crank angle data, every 5 deg of crank rotation would work for you? 😁

Given the same stem diameter, stem length, and head diameter, how can the TI valve still weigh almost as much as a stainless valve?  Is the head of the TI valve that much thicker?

Personally, I would only use TI valves on intake, but I'm not a pro-stock engine builder.

Wait.  Is the stainless valve stem hollow, and filled with sodium?

Edited by jon haney

Well, exhaust valve has less lift vs. greater diameter intake. I still have my degree wheel and "clock" hooked up to the engine, Can get some numbers at opening phases of intake and exhaust.

Not today though. 

Well, the goal is 

16 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I'd never heard of KnockSoft.  It sounds impressive on the surface, but from reading their stuff I'm leaning toward calling bullshit.

Why is it bullshit? 

8 hours ago, tomek said:

Why is it bullshit? 

The language strikes me as infomercial type bullshittery.  And unless it's being translated from a foreign language they lack English skills which always raises my concern.

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The language strikes me as infomercial type bullshittery.  And unless it's being translated from a foreign language they lack English skills which always raises my concern.

Nope. The text is perfectly fine and understable for someone who has a clue about basic physics. Not you obviously.

Anyway, I briefly considered another engine refreshment thread with new rings, some bearings, cylinder head rework and Kent camshafts. But I had my reservations after last couple of times when some clueless idiot did his best to ruin it. So, this was basically test run. And sure enough the very same guy made his presence felt again. 

So, that thread won't happen, I don't have time to deal with that guy. 

Btw, Swamp will be here shortly.

50 minutes ago, tomek said:

Nope. The text is perfectly fine and understable for someone who has a clue about basic physics. Not you obviously.

Anyway, I briefly considered another engine refreshment thread with new rings, some bearings, cylinder head rework and Kent camshafts. But I had my reservations after last couple of times when some clueless idiot did his best to ruin it. So, this was basically test run. And sure enough the very same guy made his presence felt again. 

So, that thread won't happen, I don't have time to deal with that guy. 

Btw, Swamp will be here shortly.

I agree with superhawk on the tone of that link. They compare their cam with the "original manufacturer" but don't say who or what that is. Also, don't say anything about power output, flow rates, etc. 

Also they show what looks like valve bounce at 5000rpm on the original manufacturer and none on theirs. This means nothing, for all we know this original manufacturer cam may have a max speed of 4500rpm. 

Edit: when designing and valvetrain, it is always good practice to keep the "jerk" to a minimum, if you know what that is. 😎

Edited by fizzy

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

Also they show what looks like valve bounce at 5000rpm on the original manufacturer and none on theirs. This means nothing, for all we know this original manufacturer cam may have a max speed of 4500rpm. 

😎

4500 rpm limit, why anyone would wanna put a cam on car diesel engine? 😁  

Text and language are perfectly fine from physics point of view. 

Btw, they are not exactly inventing the wheel. OEM R1 cans are assymetrical, I'll take couple pictures when get back home.

1 hour ago, tomek said:

4500 rpm limit, why anyone would wanna put a cam on car diesel engine? 😁  

Text and language are perfectly fine from physics point of view. 

Btw, they are not exactly inventing the wheel. OEM R1 cans are assymetrical, I'll take couple pictures when get back home.

You are missing our point, again. We or you, don't know what engine they are comparing to, which is why their claims of greatness are suspect. 

Can I presume you don't know the meaning of my reference to "jerk"?