CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to fix this?

Zero Knievel

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Ahhh, now I see how the grommet works.  I woulda used almost anything other than silicone lube, but it might be fine.

I wanted a tight fit, but the acrylic would not slide more than about an inch.  I preferred lube to get it in rather than widen the hole any more.  If it dried with a death grip, that would be perfectly fine with me.

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I wanted a tight fit, but the acrylic would not slide more than about an inch.  I preferred lube to get it in rather than widen the hole any more.  If it dried with a death grip, that would be perfectly fine with me.

The reason I wouldn't have used silicone lube is that it stays slippery, and if it needs adhesive later it won't stick without a lot of cleaning/AKA nuking the surface off the planet.  Think of grips, we use something that slips then dries to grip.  Silicone sealant as a 'lube' woulda probably worked well.  It's probably fine since it went in hard, but if it does loosen remember that the silicone lube will prevent adhesion so you'll need to remove it.

Probably possible, or be so threatening that you just start over.  The amount needed to ruin a finish is microscopic.  Adam Savage said two things are herpes in his shop, and banned; silicone and glitter.  I used glitter for a project at the last house, and found it for years where I didn't want it.