CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to fix this?

Zero Knievel

The bit that secured the right end came off a while ago.  I want to fix it, but there is nothing inside the hole to glue into.  Can’t completely remove it because the “anchor” on the left side is still attached.  Hardware stores are no help (not surprised by that).  Removing the shower unit isn’t an option.  Likewise, I want to avoid cutting or drilling the fiberglass.

I was hoping there was a cap I could put on the end what would wedge in the hole tight, and that plus cement would permanently reattach it.

C90F72A1-4523-49F1-AFB3-C0E1658DC235.jpeg.db4b3b04db3ece31567c786302ca6173.jpeg

18559BA7-F2E6-49AA-8DE7-28CDB7409CE6.jpeg.13a0efa3a6c0139fc044410f8dfb9907.jpeg

9 hours ago, Furbird said:

Careful, Icarus, it may have been a parent slipping and that rod is a lot easier to fix than a hip.

Likely so….I’m sure either mom or dad tried to get up or keep from falling by grabbing the rod several years back.  Now she uses a shower mat for traction.

6 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Likely so….I’m sure either mom or dad tried to get up or keep from falling by grabbing the rod several years back.  Now she uses a shower mat for traction.

I don't know the answer to your original question.  But I can add that if you end up needing supports for aging people in the shower, these are absolutely phenomenal.  I had very low exceptions of suction pads, but they were far better than I could ever imagine.  They worked great for my mom, and were handed off for a friend's parents after she could no longer travel to visit here.  Still going perfectly at almost ten years old.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MHI-Safe-er-grip-8-5-in-White-Suction-Cup-Grab-Bar/3148407

My folks prepped well in advance.  When they finally broke down and remodeled the house, the first thing they did was the bathrooms.  Both got the full quartz treatment; one got a new tub, and the other got a walk-in shower with a fold down teak and stainless shower seat with a wand so you could take a shower standing or seated.  Then I came in and added rails around the toilet and the wall across from the vanity so you'd have a rail the entire time you were in the bathroom.  Also added a rail the entire length of the hallway.  When they had an addition added, they put the exact same shower/seat combo in it.  Both my grandparents used it until end of life and now we're walking that road with my dad.  I didn't write the check but my mom and dad both would tell you IRRELEVANT.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 1:10 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Just got the email saying it’s shipped.  Surprised it took this long to ship.

I don't understand how those grommets are going to work on this.  If it does it'll be interesting to see how.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I don't understand how those grommets are going to work on this.  If it does it'll be interesting to see how.

Slip over rod.  May have to widen hole.  Should lock rod in place.  If I can get the rod out completely, I can make it symmetrical.

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Slip over rod.  May have to widen hole.  Should lock rod in place.  If I can get the rod out completely, I can make it symmetrical.

If the left side doesn't slide into the hole then maybe you could wedge it in place on the right with the new part, that seems unlikely, but I can't really tell from the photos.

Not having it in my hands to better asses- I'd probably just use a strong sealant/adhesive on it.  I'd probably go with 3m 5200 fast cure.

Finally done.  Had to keep boring out the one hole until the insert fit…then a bit more as inserting the rod made it swell out and not let the rod in.  Only did the one side as I saw no way to pop the rod loose from the other side without risking damage, and no tool I had would work with the minimal space between the rod and the hole.

Shot some silicone lube to get the rod in, and even then it took effort.  Unless it comes loose during normal use, I won’t cement it in place.

89A3EF77-FA12-4442-98DD-BD5BD1C40EC1.jpeg.f19a1beb06d79aa67d047c5fbe951ffb.jpeg