CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacement springs or helper springs?

Zero Knievel

1998 Mazda B3000 2WD.

I know springs weaken with age, but the truck seems to have a tad too much roll in tight turns and the bed drops when loaded…perhaps more than it used to.  Shocks were replaced, which might be concealing any issues.

Which would be a better move?  Add helper springs or replace them?  If I replaced them, I’d want the strongest springs I can fit rather than a straight replacement just to find there is no improvement.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

If I replaced them, I’d want the strongest springs I can fit rather than a straight replacement just to find there is no improvement.

Just remember, putting stronger springs on the rear of that super light truck is going to make it ride like it has no springs.

If you can find a helper spring that only comes into play when the spring is compressed would be one way not to hurt the ride as much.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:16 AM, Zero Knievel said:

If I replaced them, I’d want the strongest springs I can fit

Yea, go with that and report back.  Save your stockers so you can put them back on.

After overloading my Fords I've found that raising them by the bumper 'unsags' them.  I did it a few times with the Explorer I used to have and more recently with the Excursion.  If you go with aftermarket springs do some research before picking willy nilly, and definitely remove that "strongest I can find" thing from your head.  If Explorer springs fit, a used set might be a good option; research it.  There's lots of helper options which will probably be cheaper and easier to install than replacing the stockers.  Some are easily adjustable which will let you dial in what you want.  As for the body roll, check the sway bar bushings/end links.  I don't think a little lost rating in the rear springs would do much for unloaded body roll.  Stiffer rear springs would reduce it, but would increase the tendency to oversteer which is already a problem with pickups.

20 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Adding a rear sway bar willy nilly, especially to a pickup, is dangerous.

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Zero does nothing willy nilly.  😉

Not in the traditional sense because he'll over analyze the fuck out of it, but the final decision is often no better than a willy nilly shot in the dark.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, XXitanium said:

OK Google....  "Why is adding a rear sway-barto a truck dangerous?"

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/why-dont-pickup-trucks-have-rear-swaybars.238360/page-2

...well, that didn't give me one clear concise answer....

The best way I can think to describe it:  Lets assume you have a car/truck with perfect handling.  If you add a sway bar to the front it will increase the tendency to understeer, meaning that when you hit the traction limit in a curve the front of the car will try to go straight.  This is pretty easy to control.  If you add it to the rear it'll wanna oversteer, back end sliding out in a turn, much harder to control.  Cars are generally set up to understeer because it's safer.  Pickups generally have a tendency to oversteer from the factory and the rear bar will increase that.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2022 at 8:39 AM, Zero Knievel said:

I’m only using the truck to haul stuff.  I’ve noticed a fair bit of sag as of late when loaded.

A twenty five year old truck? WTF?? PUT SOME NEW SPRINGS AT ALL 4 CORNERS.

Most of my shit is about that age or older, two of which are always heavily loaded, two others sometimes loaded, so I guess you'd say that my fleet needs new springs.

Clearly that's bullshit, but I will say that some light duty Ford leaf springs will get sagged easily.  With my Explorers and Ranger I found that fully unloading the springs after an over-load would re-set the ride height 'till the next over-loading.  That's likely an indication that the springs are aged out, or were shit to start with.  Many people say that new leaf springs improved their rides and eliminated the sag problem.

Thread resurrection.

I remember the one and only Ranger I had.  It had an ARE shell with gullwing aluminum toolboxes on either side.  That's when I was doing on-site cell phone installs (back when they still sold 3 watt, permanent mount phones.)  That fucker was always dragging ass.  I ended up putting shackles on the rear axle to lift it back up to stock height.  When I sold it (and kept all that phone stuff, which I sold on ebay for a small fortune for the people who refused to upgrade), that truck rode higher than a 1977 Trans Am with glass packs, Centerline Convo Pros, and a footprint gas pedal.

• 2 months later...