CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake disk question

redxxrdr

Ok, it's on the SV, but would apply to the XX.

Three of the buttons that hold the disk to the hub are very loose. 

No cracks, and both sides of the button are intact 

How would you tighten them?

C clamp across the button, a bolt and nut tightened through the button? 

I thought about using the cone shaped  bottom end from a expansion anchor tightened with a bolt into   the button hole, in a attempt to spread the button .

The disk are clean, and appear to track straight. I'm trying to NOT remove the disk assembly until my eyes and hands get better 😀

What is "very" loose?  Any measurements or estimates?  I just went through something like this where I thought some steering head bearings were slightly loose.  "Everyone" told me there should be no movement.  I said it was around a tenth of a mm.  "NO movement!"  Turns out, there should be that tiny movement, others perceived it at none.

• Upvote 1

I think in the back of my memory that I read about either tightening them up or breaking them loose. 🙄  Either way, it involved a bolt sized to fit through the button with a washer on either side and a nut.  

Edit: I went looking and it was about cleaning under the buttons so they freely rotate.  If they don't, you can get vibration.

So, forget everything I said.  🙂  Sorry.

Edited by blackhawkxx

9 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

Ok, it's on the SV, but would apply to the XX.

Three of the buttons that hold the disk to the hub are very loose.

Maybe those three are very loose, or maybe the others are very tight. (?)  Without specs and measurements, or a lot of experience, you're likely guessing and shouldn't take action yet.

It they're truly loose I'd probably let it go vs. doing some DIY fix unless the looseness is causing a problem AND that DIY fix is well proven.  

I have always cleaned and lubed the buttons on all bikes at every oil or tire change.

I have never seen one this loose. The other side, and my XX don't move like this. 

It's why I ask.

And yes, I know that my caliper is loose. My daughter dropped the bike, so I am replacing the to speedo sensor 😏

That does seem like more than I've ever seen.  No idea what it means, just adding the observation.

29 minutes ago, redxxrdr said:

My daughter dropped the bike

So how did the beatings go?

42 minutes ago, redxxrdr said:

I have always cleaned and lubed the buttons on all bikes at every oil or tire change.

I have never seen one this loose. The other side, and my XX don't move like this. 

It's why I ask.

And yes, I know that my caliper is loose. My daughter dropped the bike, so I am replacing the to speedo sensor 😏

Looks like someone did a brake caliper upgrade.  Those caliper brackets look just like the ones I bought, so I could mount CBR600 brakes on my '06 SV650.  Was definitely worth the effort.  Sorry, no advice on the buttons.

2 hours ago, redxxrdr said:

It's why I ask.

Are the wave washers still there?--assuming it uses them.

Maybe the drop fucked it up, seems unlikely, but maybe.

I just checked the ones on my Bird for the first time, they're much tighter than I expected.

yikes, that's more movement than i've seen on any of my bikes with floating rotors.

found this video that makes it seem like a reasonable amount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPaUyXrtbE

missing clips on the back sides of some of your bobbins, perhaps?

Edited by ptxyz

16 hours ago, ptxyz said:

yikes, that's more movement than i've seen on any of my bikes with floating rotors.

found this video that makes it seem like a reasonable amount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPaUyXrtbE

missing clips on the back sides of some of your bobbins, perhaps?

He started by showing the drag of the stock system, I was waiting to see the comparison.  Fucker.  I wonder if he forgot or decided not to show it because there was no change.

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, blackhawkxx said:

I went looking and it was about cleaning under the buttons so they freely rotate.  If they don't, you can get vibration

I haven't checked mine in some years so I did tonight.  I couldn't turn any of them.  So I went through each one like the video with a lot of brake clean and rotation.  When I was done I could just barely turn them using both hands.  I could turn none using just my index finger and thumb.  No brake issues before cleaning so, whatever.  🙂