CBR1100XX.org Forum

20v handheld pressure washers

SwampNut

Any experiences?  I am annoyed by dragging out and assembling the pressure washer, and also the annoyance of the harder hose and extension cords and pretty much all of it.  I want to do light cleaning of walkways, concrete, windows through the sun screens, one of the cars, bikes.  I'm thinking mostly about the Dewalt but open to the Ryobi 600.  The Dewalt has more included items I think, and is rated for more flow but 50 PSI less.  Good trade I think.  I have batteries for both, many more for Dewalt.

Flow and pressure numbers can be bullshitted, and can be altered using different spray tips.  If the numbers are close, and haven't been verified by a third party test, I'd just call the two machines equal.

I've learned that the adjustable pattern wands kill power compared to fixed orifice tips, huge difference.  Same machine at approximately the same fan angle, I'm guessing the adjustable was about half as effective.

My biggest annoyance with pressure washers is the long handle when I want to get into tight areas.  After buying the stuff below I've never again used the 'normal' set-up.  One thing to note; most (all?) electrics use a different size fitting than gas so you might need an adapter.  IIRC the kit is "gas washer" size.  No idea what the battery units use, guessing some proprietary shit.

The only downsides to the multi piece wand is that the fittings are a bit wobbly and there's more chances of leaks.  If using an angled end, especially with a long set of tubes, the side push is very strong so you have to be ready for it.  The cheapo tips don't have as good of a pattern as higher dollar ones, but they're ok and they both use the same connection end so the cheapos can be replaced with good ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083116BHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811JT4WW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ8J1CC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

and can be altered using different spray tips.

No question on the bullshitting, but at least the Dewalt has a long list of tips and their related flow/pressure.  They make it clear.  If they're not lying.  Ryobi may or may not publish this, but Dewalt put it out there very obviously.

11 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

My biggest annoyance with pressure washers is the long handle when I want to get into tight areas.

Well, you just exposed a potential reverse annoyance for me.  I'm going to want to spray the ground without bending, the windows without climbing over the garden, etc.  So short may be an annoyance for the application.  Huh.

It's Amazon and Dewalt.  I have 30 days to return it with Amazon, and 90 with Dewalt's full satisfaction guarantee.  Huh again...

26 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Well, you just exposed a potential reverse annoyance for me.  I'm going to want to spray the ground without bending, the windows without climbing over the garden, etc.  So short may be an annoyance for the application.  Huh.

I suspected they might be short.  That combined with my assumption of less power than a 'normal' washer would make it suck for some things.

Ok, the Dewalt is obviously better built and more powerful.  I had not touched one until mine arrived, I did play with the Ryobi in the store.  The Ryobi is way lighter and smaller (which obviously is also an advantage).  Everything about the Dewalt just feels solid and well made, the Ryobi attachments and connections were cheap-feeling.  It has a standard hose QD on it, and all my hoses have them.  Really feeds the grab and go aspect of using it for quick jobs.  I don't recall what connection was on the Ryobi.

Obviously it has less power than a full size machine.  It did a great job for spot removal of paint on the driveway, and for overall cleaning.  It will be great for the windows and such.  

7 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Ok, the Dewalt is obviously better built and more powerful.

Normally I would think Dewalt would be better than Ryobi in general but would also be priced more.  This year when I was looking to buy a small cordless mower I first looked at Dewalt but the reviews were so bad I ended up buying the Ryobi.  It has worked well so far.  

I have an old Ryobi 48v lead acid mower and it's ok as long as the grass isn't too long or dense.

I have the Kobalt 80v blower and trimmer and considered the mower, but $400 for the bare tool and it doesn't even have self propulsion; nope.  The trimmer and blower are both impressive, especially the blower.  It beats the previous Troy Bilt corded blower that I thought was pretty bad ass.