CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shock rebuild on a mountain bike

SwampNut

A friend has well over 1k miles on it, and it needs service.  Also he accidentally ran it on lockout in rough terrain and seals have leaked since then.  I wonder if there's much oil even.

But apparently, the weight and amount of oil is a closely guarded state secret.  WTF!!  He's going to call the manufacturer tomorrow, see if they give out the info.  All of the service docs seem to be hidden behind a dealer login.  You can get a useless manual and a mounting guide, but zero service info without a login.  So I don't know if they are dicks and refuse to tell him.

It was easy to get a service kit with all the seals.  There is one video I can find about doing it, but that dude got a kit with a blister pack of pre-measured mystery oil.  No help there.  We've seen posts talking about everything from 5wt to 80wt.  WTF

Any ideas here?

SR Suntour Duair XL.

If nothing else pans out all I can think is to send some to Blackstone, or similar, to maybe figure it out.  Or set up a drip/pour test and compare a few oils to narrow it down.  Could be fun over a few drinks, I have oils.  And last night I decided to register the Porsche there so I'm now forced to go visit anyway.  If it's nitrogen charged I have a cylinder.