CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is "unbreakable" acrylic versus...well I guess breakable acrylic?

SwampNut

Looking to make my own version of the product below, because well, WTF $380????  I can buy a sheet of acrylic for $15 or "unbreakable" for $30.  Anyone know what the difference really is?  Googling it doesn't help.  I'd pay for the strongest version.  It will need to be cut, sanded, and drilled.  Acrylic is mostly easy to work with until it decides to explode randomly.

image.png

image.png

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Anyone know what the difference really is?

One is more betterer.

Maybe it's another material like polycarbonate or something.  I've also read about plexiglass windows that are supposedly unbreakable (something like 300x tougher), but I don't know if it's some kind of treatment or a different material.

Lexan is polycarbonate, and Plexi is acrylic.  These both say acrylic, but one is "unbreakable."  And of course, you know what that challenge means to my brain.

image.png

And if it's unbreakable, what does that do to cutability?

Found the size, 14mm, and Source One answered my email.  The unbreakable is actually Lexan/poly.  They just listed it that way because everyone searches for acrylic.  Nice, very nice, what about those of us searching for poly and trying to figure out why nobody sells that?

6.3x13.5, which means I need a sheet larger than the cheap 12".  But still not $380.

image.png

I didn't watch the whole thing because I hate reggae, but flipping through it, I didn't see one fucking banana.  Go figure.

Looks like I'm about $50 into making this $380 device, and some shop fun time.  Nobody seems to have the plastic locally unless I buy 48x96 sheets, and even that is rare in 1/2" thickness.  Called my favorite plastics supplier today and he was amused enough to go look in the scrap bin, but no, "we never get a call for something that thick."  I need to go check my supply of plastic knob bolts, but I should have four alike out of the couple dozen on hand.  I ordered a 24x12 sheet on Amazon for $70 so I'll have some stock for other jigs and add-ons, but doesn't arrive until middle of next week.  WHERE IS MY INSTANT GRATIFICATION?

6226630A-0E26-42D1-AF9D-959694F8161C_1_102_a.jpeg

• 1 month later...