CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske 8981 shock

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but I feel that I should let you know that the rebound bumper inside the shock might need replacing due to age.  I got a low mile Penske that worked fine for a while, then the bumper disintegrated clogging up the valving.  Supposedly Penske changed the bumper material at some point to something that doesn't break down, but it's not definite.  Mine was bought as part of the 'group buy' here many years ago, if this shock is from that same purchase and it hasn't been rebuilt then it probably has the same bumper.

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Ballpark on that cost?

Old memory, it's been a couple years so don't bank on it: I think the bumper itself was around $25, or a whole rebuilt kit for $80, or send the shock in for the rebuild for $150.

I took mine apart and was just gonna replace the bumper, but I'd also need the oil, and then have it charged since I didn't have nitrogen at the time.  Then thought for only a little more I could do a complete rebuild so that would be smarter....but for a little more I could let the pros do it.....and it's still hanging from a hook in the garage.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, superhawk996 said:

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but I feel that I should let you know that the rebound bumper inside the shock might need replacing due to age.  I got a low mile Penske that worked fine for a while, then the bumper disintegrated clogging up the valving.  Supposedly Penske changed the bumper material at some point to something that doesn't break down, but it's not definite.  Mine was bought as part of the 'group buy' here many years ago, if this shock is from that same purchase and it hasn't been rebuilt then it probably has the same bumper.

im pretty sure this one that I sold to TeXTrain was also part of that group buy

Mine seemed to be getting stiffer, but I wasn't sure.  It became obvious when I stopped for a light and the rear was noticeably higher than normal.  I bounced down on the seat a couple times and it was solid.  The shock slowly went back down to normal height as I sat there.

I considered putting it back together without the bumper, but didn't know if it might damage something to have it top out without the bumper.