CBR1100XX.org Forum

Horn upgrades

XXBirdSlapper

Yes, I used the search function but stopped reading after 11 pages. Many of the old references are dead of old age too.

Who has upgraded their stock XX horn to one with higher volume? I would prefer one that mounts in the stock 97 location without extensive wiring of relay etc. And yes I can handle that if necessary.

Holy fuck my horn is next to useless. Even too quiet to get my buddy's attention while riding together on a road trip.

4 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Yes, I used the search function but stopped reading after 11 pages. Many of the old references are dead of old age too.

Who has upgraded their stock XX horn to one with higher volume? I would prefer one that mounts in the stock 97 location without extensive wiring of relay etc. And yes I can handle that if necessary.

Holy fuck my horn is next to useless. Even too quiet to get my buddy's attention while riding together on a road trip.

My Goldwing horn is pretty loud.  I wonder if you could use something like that without going to the aftermarket?

2 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

My Goldwing horn is pretty loud.  I wonder if you could use something like that without going to the aftermarket?

Of course there are horns on Amazon that look like direct replacements. Could be the original is simply showing it's age.

6 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

If it's not a hassle could you post a pic sometime with a ruler for scale?

7 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

If it's not a hassle could you post a pic sometime with a ruler for scale?

I forgot when I was in the garage tonight putting rear brakes on the Explorer.  I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.  Don't even know if I can see them without ripping things apart.

This...have used it on multiple bikes with no rewiring or relays.  Bolts right in to OEM location and OEM connectors. 

image.thumb.png.826742baf071adb8f5d9c9b9fdebc355.png

and available on AMAZON:  

image.thumb.png.e9ebaef5ad04a41813a1fbd8edcfa4d8.png

Edited by SierraKLR
added content

Stebel nautilus. Classic loud as fuck. I have one on Blackbird 1. Installation requires a relay, and it has to be mounted upright. It will fit under cowl easily enough. It is loud as fuck.

22 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

No pressure, if it's easy whenever you get around to it.

I looked all over on the bike tonight, nothing is visible.  I believe there are two of them in there.  The other guys here seem to have a better option than the Wing horn but there are some on eBay if interested. 

Link to a pair of horns.

2 hours ago, SierraKLR said:

This...have used it on multiple bikes with no rewiring or relays.  Bolts right in to OEM location and OEM connectors. 

image.thumb.png.826742baf071adb8f5d9c9b9fdebc355.png

and available on AMAZON:  

image.thumb.png.e9ebaef5ad04a41813a1fbd8edcfa4d8.png

I was looking at these. You put one on your bird?

1 hour ago, RXX said:

Stebel nautilus. Classic loud as fuck. I have one on Blackbird 1. Installation requires a relay, and it has to be mounted upright. It will fit under cowl easily enough. It is loud as fuck.

I saw these too. Did you put it in the stock location?

More or less. There is not a lot of real estate for it. I have the bike pretty stripped right now and the horn is off, I had to make an adapter, I “probably” used plumber’s strap.

4 hours ago, RXX said:

More or less. There is not a lot of real estate for it. I have the bike pretty stripped right now and the horn is off, I had to make an adapter, I “probably” used plumber’s strap.

Did yours come with the relay, or did you source one?

14 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I was looking at these. You put one on your bird?

Stock location.  Stock bracket. Stock wiring. No relay. and yes on both birds. 

Edited by SierraKLR
  • Upvote 1

I bought this on Kickstarter a few years ago, but I ended up selling the bird before I could install it, and gave it away. The shockwave was brutal, I honked it in the house, big mistake. WHAT?!?

Edit: it would require wiring. 

https://screaming-banshee.com/

Edited by JoWhee
  • Upvote 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, SierraKLR said:

Stock location.  Stock bracket. Stock wiring. No relay. and yes on both birds. 

Ordered one. Not sure when I'll install it, but I'll report back.