CBR1100XX.org Forum

The most idiotic thing you've done.

tomek

Went to the race track. Bike low on power. Wtf? Noticed throttle bodies not fully in, kind of loose. Fixed that. Bike still down on power. Sounding weird. Was hot like a fuck. Not gonna work on it in 90 deg high humidity. Went home with intention of getting to the bottom of that. Went home. Could not find nothing, by 10 pm called it off. Screw it. Fix it later. Lost three days of riding. Sad.

Started to pull the engine out on Saturday. Once I got all plasticware out I got to the bottom of the problem. Loose Ignition wire. Lol.

Here is what happened. Bike died towards the end of Gingerman day back in early July. No engine codes, but there was no ignition and fuel. I simply observed fuel injectors and spark plug (hence loose Ignition wire) during cranking, and concluded it was crank position sensor acting up. Ordered parts and,,, went to Poland for couple of weeks. When I finally decided to replace offending sensor it was already late August. Or, about 7 weeks later. Without thinking much I just assumed everything was back in order on the top of the engine. Bike fired right up.

Keep in mind crossplain sounds lumpy to begin with, one cylinder not firing is not clearly obvious.

Lesson? My memory is not what it used to be( Bill Clinton voice) you better write a note on what have you done, and attach it to the bike.

WAY back I tweaked the cam timing on my '78 Civic.  It ran great, 'till a valve got burnt.  The car had been essentially totaled by a stop sign runner so it was pretty well fucked, but I was bummed that I broke it.

Considering this is in the garage, I'm assuming this is a serious question, otherwise it belongs elsewhere?  Bike related, way back in my early drag racing days, I would put a bottle of alcohol in the tank with the fuel.  We all did it, can't even remember why if I'm being honest.  Last time I did it, I messed up and bought 50-ish% instead of the 93-ish% I normally did.  Well, that was just enough to make the bike not run considering the other 50-ish% was WATER.  Fortunately nothing hydrolocked but it certainly didn't run.  Ended up having to drain the tank and come back the next week.

Car related, I jumped a 1971 Super Beetle.  It was NOT a Baja Beetle.  I think the only reason it survived is that it landed on a soft dirt field and only dropped about four feet, plus it landed on all four wheels simultaneously.  I did have to re-gap the points to make it home, though.  That's the same car I put 4-15's in because a local stereo shop said "You can't put 4-15's in a Bug."

21 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

WAY back I tweaked the cam timing on my '78 Civic.  It ran great, 'till a valve got burnt.  The car had been essentially totaled by a stop sign runner so it was pretty well fucked, but I was bummed that I broke it.

Well, that was honest tunning mistake. Not dumbfucked enough like forgetting about spark plug wire (me) or putting wrong fuel.

I'm looking for history of brain fades with funny consequences. Motorcycle and car related.

Sometimes the obvious isn't.  I posted a question on what to do with a quadcopter remote while having it follow you on the trails.  If I put it in the tail bag, the bouncing pushes the sticks and buttons.  Just turning off the remote has new problems.  It's not even 8 and I feel retarded for the day.

image.png

Decades ago a guy I know was replacing the water pump on his car (Aerostar I think) removing the bolts with an air ratchet when it backed to the radiator and the bolt was still not clear so it/he was stuck.  I'll let him out himself.  That conversation rings in my head every time I'm using the cordless ratchet in tight spaces.

32 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

What kind of homo buys a minivan?

I think the twist thing was on the radiator end right?

<I've heard>

😆

Working on the Porsche with the cordless ratchet I had several instances of- slow down, stop, check, continue, stop, switch tools.

High pressure to get a door to fit after a carpet install before a corporate meeting, tight time.

Cut a piece off the door, install, still drags, plane a bit off, still drags, repeat, still drags, look up and there is a nice gap at the top of the door.

I fixed it by screwing the piece back on the top and trimming the bottom.

Dropped a valve shim down the cam chain valley on a CRF250. Was in a rush and didn't stuff a rag in there. Fished around the crankcase for an hour with a magnet to no avail. Thought I was going to have to tear the whole motor down. Turns out it was stuck to the stator\flywheel. Had to "borrow" a puller, but narrowly avoided disaster. 

Guess I will repeat a story again. Started my Bultaco without the seat and tank on and the top of the carb not screwed on. Quick blip of the throttle while sitting on the bike, wound the fuk out! Kill button didn't stop it, saw the sparkplug wire arching, pushed the wire to the frame with my thumb to kill it like a lawnmower, pissed my pants. Dad laughed so hard.

Edited by CALCXX
  • Like 2