CBR1100XX.org Forum

2000 Model year XX electrical diagnosis

JJMills1993

I’ve been scouring this forum and others for the last few weeks trying to find an answer to my current problem

I bought a 2000 model year 1100XX 

with a known electrical issue. 
No fuel pump cycle upon turning key and handlebar switch on.

I immediately tore it apart to find out somebody had tried to take power from somewhere else and feed pump. The harness was subsequently melted in multiple places. Supply ground for PGM-FI computer. +12v black white wire which comes off the main power supply distribution to the grey ECU connector. I tore the harness apart removed and replaced all burned/exposed electrical wires. 

Reassembled only to find out that with the ECU plugged in when the key was turned on it would immediately pop the 30amp PGM-FI fuse. With the ECU unplugged no issue.  I got my hands on a used ECU from eBay. Plugged it in and it no longer blows the 30amp PGM-FI fuse. I still do not have power to the fuel pump and I believe it to be a ground issue but need some expertise to help guide me here. 

I have traced and have power through the electrical connections I should until I get to the engine stop relay. I have Voltage and continuity tested ignition and handlebar switch. The power that comes into the engine stop sensor is good. It comes in and out of the tip over sensor under the seat. I do not have a ground to cycle the engine stop relay and can’t pinpoint the issue. I have bench tested the relays all good. Does the ecm provide a ground? Is my new to me ECM bad? The diagram reads I should have 12v at the Bl/W wire at that relay to feed the fuel pump relay. Power is there just not getting from the R/W main power wire through the known good relays to provide power to fuel pump relay. Harness is back off the bike and stripped down to re-Inspect but I haven’t found any connection issues this time.

Sorry for the long winded write up. Just looking for someone with more electrical theory education than I have.

image.jpg

00's have the same plug as the 99's have, which is the test plug under the battery.  Known issue.  Should be electrical taped to the main wiring harness, known for getting water intrusion and corroding the wiring.  One of my bikes got both the power AND ground test plugs to the point I had to replace entire sections of wiring from end-to-end.

31 minutes ago, Furbird said:

00's have the same plug as the 99's have, which is the test plug under the battery.  Known issue.  Should be electrical taped to the main wiring harness, known for getting water intrusion and corroding the wiring.  One of my bikes got both the power AND ground test plugs to the point I had to replace entire sections of wiring from end-to-end.

Not sure which plug you are referring to when you say test plug. I have the harness out and stripped. Im Not seeing any signs of corrosion currently 

As furbird states above, there is a test plug or junction block probably brown in color buried under tape in the main loom near where it passes by the battery. Visible as a small square shape outlined thru the tape. This junction is mostly ground wires separated into 3 + some colored wires. As stated, they corrode and you lose ground. 

Cut the tape away to check.

15 minutes ago, fizzy said:

As furbird states above, there is a test plug or junction block probably brown in color buried under tape in the main loom near where it passes by the battery. Visible as a small square shape outlined thru the tape. This junction is mostly ground wires separated into 3 + some colored wires. As stated, they corrode and you lose ground. 

Cut the tape away to check.

I have stripped all the tape away and believe I found the junction you are referring to. It is clean and dry. No corrosion. 

Unless it is PRISTINE then do the "loom fix".  Cut the wires and solder together in the exact same manner they are now connected. Remove the cap and inspect the bus bar, it should make sense once you see it is not 1 piece. 

Pop the 30A PGM-FI fuse? 30A fuse is for the start/stop function. You might have a pinched/broken wire hidden somewhere. You also may well have 2 functioning ECUs, or none. Hard to say at this point.

Check the small wires into the 2 multi pin ECU connectors. If the ECU is not strapped down, it will move and can eventually invisibly damage these wires near the connector. 

Make certain of a good ground to the fuel pump. If in doubt, add a second one. Note, this pump ground may be the original culprit, even shorting out another wire in the loom.......possibly eliminate it altogether.

• Like 1

The photos got lost in the boards transitions over the years, so maybe somebody has one somewhere.  Here's a video I found real quick where somebody had already tried to do a quick repair and it didn't work.

There's also a positive connector that's green in color on the inside frame rail near the throttle bodies.  Believe I and the guy with the quad bird are the only two people on here that have had that one go bad.

6 hours ago, fizzy said:

Unless it is PRISTINE then do the "loom fix".  Cut the wires and solder together in the exact same manner they are now connected. Remove the cap and inspect the bus bar, it should make sense once you see it is not 1 piece. 

Pop the 30A PGM-FI fuse? 30A fuse is for the start/stop function. You might have a pinched/broken wire hidden somewhere. You also may well have 2 functioning ECUs, or none. Hard to say at this point.

Check the small wires into the 2 multi pin ECU connectors. If the ECU is not strapped down, it will move and can eventually invisibly damage these wires near the connector. 

Make certain of a good ground to the fuel pump. If in doubt, add a second one. Note, this pump ground may be the original culprit, even shorting out another wire in the loom.......possibly eliminate it altogether.

I’m not getting power to the pump because it is not making it through the relay but the relays have tested good. There are two 30amp fuses on my bike. The 30amp at the starter solenoid and another single thirty amp that is not in the main fuse block that runs directly to the engine stop relay. 

If someone with the same 99-2000 model knows or could pop this relay and tell me me the polarity that would help me greatly. 

C437BD67-4332-44FF-8178-ECE3C6567DA0.jpeg

A4849FE2-2ABB-4851-B3C5-3CDC16035B40.jpeg

13 hours ago, JJMills1993 said:

I bought a 2000 model year 1100XX 

with a known electrical issue. .

Kudos.

I’d walk away from any modern vehicle with a “known” electrical issue.  The wire harness is such a bitch to troubleshoot…and it don’t have that level of patience.  Here’s hoping your issues resolves quickly and easily.

• Like 1

Pull the pump relay and the connector at the pump.  Hotwire the pump + and -. See if the bike runs and if there are FI codes.

If it runs, there is something amiss with the pump relay circuit

Not quite sure what you mean by polarity of the relay. You say you already tested them. Wouldn't that have been apparent during the test?

6 hours ago, fizzy said:

Not quite sure what you mean by polarity of the relay. You say you already tested them. Wouldn't that have been apparent during the test?

Don't think polarity matters on a single-pole, single-throw relay.  It certainly doesn't on the switch terminals.

Looking at the diagrams above, the fuel-cut relay, or what powers it is the problem.  The engine stop relay doesn't appear to provide power or ground for the fuel-cut relay.  Good luck.

• Like 1

The real question is do you want to keep chasing this ghost or just make it so the bike will run?  If all it is is this one thing, you might consider putting up the proton pack and parking Ecto 1 and just wiring up the fuel pump directly to bypass this Ghostbusters mission.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fizzy said:

Pull the pump relay and the connector at the pump.  Hotwire the pump + and -. See if the bike runs and if there are FI codes.

If it runs, there is something amiss with the pump relay circuit

Polarity of that wire. It has been tested and should be a ground but I don’t have the ground there to energize the relay 

5 hours ago, jon haney said:

Don't think polarity matters on a single-pole, single-throw relay.  It certainly doesn't on the switch terminals.

Looking at the diagrams above, the fuel-cut relay, or what powers it is the problem.  The engine stop relay doesn't appear to provide power or ground for the fuel-cut relay.  Good luck.

The bl/w wire gives power to fuel relay, injectors, PCM and a few others. It receives that power from the engine stop relay being energized and connecting the bl/w to the R/W that comes directly from the PGM-FI relay. At least that’s how I read it, is that incorrect? 

4 minutes ago, JJMills1993 said:

Polarity of that wire. It has been tested and should be a ground but I don’t have the ground there to energize the relay 

If "that wire" means the one at the relay you highlighted in yellow, follow the schematic and see where it goes.  If it goes to the test connector the "loom fix" is probably your cure.

6 minutes ago, JJMills1993 said:

The bl/w wire gives power to fuel relay, injectors, PCM and a few others. It receives that power from the engine stop relay being energized and connecting the bl/w to the R/W that comes directly from the PGM-FI relay. At least that’s how I read it, is that incorrect? 

If you meant PGM-FI fuse instead of relay, you appear to be correct.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Furbird said:

The real question is do you want to keep chasing this ghost or just make it so the bike will run?  If all it is is this one thing, you might consider putting up the proton pack and parking Ecto 1 and just wiring up the fuel pump directly to bypass this Ghostbusters mission.

Yes, do this first. 

In other words, hotwire the pump, see if she runs. Then troubleshoot. 

37 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

If you meant PGM-FI fuse instead of relay, you appear to be correct.

Yes sorry fuse not relay. 

27 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Yes, do this first. 

In other words, hotwire the pump, see if she runs. Then troubleshoot. 

Let the hot wiring begin.

I don't think we were clear, or if you watched the video or not, but you actually have to unplug the block and check the inside to verify there is no corrosion on that ground and power test connectors.  I'd be shocked on a 22 year old bike if it doesn't have some corrosion in it.  Not doubting you, just saying historically speaking that is very rare.

Also re-read the previous and it popped a 30 amp fuse which means you had a dead short in the ECM (or perhaps somewhere else in the wiring that also fried the ECM.)

Over the years I have added an additional battery to engine and battery to frame ground separate from the factory connections.  Just something I've always done as a carryover from my years in car audio installs because the factory stuff was always so lackluster.  If somebody has been in there digging around they may have left something unbolted and you may have missed it.  There's one ground right by the battery where the left tank bolt is (I believe that's right, off the top of my head) you might want to check and make sure that's there or not loose.

8 minutes ago, Furbird said:

Over the years I have added an additional battery to engine and battery to frame ground separate from the factory connections.  Just something I've always done as a carryover from my years in car audio installs because the factory stuff was always so lackluster.

Yea, because an unmolested vehicle with factory wiring won't work for shit.