CBR1100XX.org Forum

Re-loading collection

16 hours ago, Furbird said:

Holy shit, that guy was not fucking around with that Dillon, it's got damn near everything you could get!

True, I have the Dillon 550 but don't have the case feeder.

On 9/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, CALCXX said:

True, I have the Dillon 550 but don't have the case feeder.

Not being a Dillon guy I don't know what Fur got all excited about; what stuff does it have other than the obvious case feeder?

I'm a red team guy, as all shooters should be (🙂), so I don't know what special shit is on that blue thing.

Having bullet and case feeders, finding a good primer feeder continues to be my quest.  Even before my feeders the primers were my biggest gripe.  I have a Vibra Prime that sometimes works fabulously, and sometimes just pisses me off.

I have everything pictured but the black base/stand. I bolted thru a 2x6 and fastened it to the table.

I can sit down to use it. The base is at table level.

Extra stuff too. like tumbler, powder charge, scales all the peripheral stuff.

I would like to have a case feeder but I am not pressed for time.

Oscar, I haven't had any problems with the primer feeder.

It counts and has an audible alarm if it runs out of primers.

https://www.scheels.com/p/dillon-precision-rl550c-reloading-press/60982420252.html

Edit: shit you just made me look at the upgrades for my 550 online fukr

I want a boat dammit. Don't send me down this path.

Edited by CALCXX
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Oscar, I haven't had any problems with the primer feeder.

It counts and has an audible alarm if it runs out of primers.

By primer feeder I meant something like the case and bullet feeders where you can just dump the primers into a hopper and they find their way to the press instead of filling the tube one at a time.  When I'm doing small batches of something it's no biggie, when I'm on a production mission to fill an ammo box the primer tube filling often takes more time than the rest of the operation, depending on how cooperative the Vibra Prime is being.

I considered a primer alarm early on, then realized that I should be feeling them seating so I said no to the alarm.  Early on I didn't think I'd care for case and bullet feeders, the Hornady is easy to hand feed with the left hand while still running the press.  After a while I kinda started wanting them but they're a lot more $ for the Hornady, the Dillon is shockingly cheaper.  Then I found a used set on sale for about half price and had to do it.  The bullet feeder is "for pistol bullets only" unless you add more shit to it, but I found it fairly easy to set it up to reliably feed rifle ammo.  Ammo comes off the press faster than I can load it into mags...not counting primer filling and case prep.

I've only ever owned Dillon because all the guys I plate raced with had Dillon.  Now the rifle stuff is where the fights start but when you're doing hundreds of pistol rounds at a time, it's Dillon.  Ain't no snipers out there reloading on a progressive machine.

2 hours ago, Furbird said:

but when you're doing hundreds of pistol rounds at a time, it's Dillon.

About 3 minutes to do 100 rounds on the Hornady, admittedly at a pace that isn't smart.  5-6 minutes going slow enough to see and feel everything.

2 hours ago, Furbird said:

Ain't no snipers out there reloading on a progressive machine.

About 1 MOA from the cheapest AR upper I could find using the Hornady progressive and experimental bullets and powder that nobody has data for.  Tim (Redbird) made his rifle ammo on the same press with much more precision than my stuff using 'proper' components.

One thing the Dillon progressives accomplish that Hornady can't manage to pull off is primer tube detonations/explosions.  There's just no fucking way to make it happen on the Hornady, but Dillon's got that figured out.

18 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

By primer feeder I meant something like the case and bullet feeders where you can just dump the primers into a hopper and they find their way to the press instead of filling the tube one at a time.  

Just a tube. No hopper. It works well although it is slow to fill. Primer holder helps staging them.

I don't deal with the little stuff as well as I use to.

Oh come on you wuss.  It's not like you have to meticulously weigh each charge, there's a whole .1grain range between min and max charges.  Then you get to hold those tiny bullets in line with the seater, it's so much fun.  In fact, if you ignore weighing each charge and just use a powder drop, it could be a blast!

• Upvote 1

I just had a rider from SW Washington stay for a few days on the way to a group ride in WY.

Both he and his wife are competition shooters, he uses a 2019 10mm. Never heard of it, he explained it's a 1911 top with a 20 round mag in 10mm.

He reloads with a dillon 1050 ( i think ). He said they go thru a lot of rounds a month, thousands.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1