CBR1100XX.org Forum

Garage Floor

rockmeupto125

Not sure to put this in the Garage or Handyman, so here goes.

Recommendations for floor sealers or coatings.  I'd love an expoxied metalflaked floor, but that's just not economically viable.   I want something that will protect the floor from degradation and staining primarily.  If It comes in colors that's peachy,  but doubtful. I need something long lasting as well, because I'm not the person to empty the garage and recoat every couple years. As an example, I've been here 21 years and have yet to seal the driveway. 

What have you used or know of being used at your work or a friends garage that you can comment on?

59 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Not sure to put this in the Garage or Handyman, so here goes.

Recommendations for floor sealers or coatings.  I'd love an expoxied metalflaked floor, but that's just not economically viable.   I want something that will protect the floor from degradation and staining primarily.  If It comes in colors that's peachy,  but doubtful. I need something long lasting as well, because I'm not the person to empty the garage and recoat every couple years. As an example, I've been here 21 years and have yet to seal the driveway. 

What have you used or know of being used at your work or a friends garage that you can comment on?

Epoxy with a texture.  I'm not aware of something cheaper.  But the texture is critical, the untextured is a death trap with any fluids, even just water.

The curing answer will be dependent on the product you buy.  You also might have to float a topcoat over what you have now with some of these fancy ones.  I wouldn't even consider it until I had the building up and dried-in if I were you.  You also have the weather factor and will need something resistant to hot-tire pickup.  Some of the cheap shit will peel right off.  That's why I just said eff it and left mine raw.  It's a shop, not a museum.

• Upvote 1

We did my Dad's new garage floor with Thompson's Water Seal (before the Gov. mandated formula change).  Probably about 1990.  Ten years later you could still easily wipe up most spills with little to no evidence, except maybe the high-traffic areas.  We did two coats right after we finished the roof and walls.

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Does any of this stuff hold up to repeated use of jack stands, floor jack and gasoline, oil, antifreeze, brake clean, etc.?

Epoxy is the only thing I know, and yes.  Though really harsh stuff like acetone and MEK can take the shine off.