CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cool tool-Craftsman Speed Spinner Ratchet.

superhawk996

...is the name according to the interwebs.  I found it today in my FIL's stuff while prepping for an estate sale.  In good condition they get $100 and up on eBay, kinda nutty for a tool that most people wouldn't have a real use for.  Seems to be more of a tool collector's thing, but some people report using it a fair bit.

Well shit.  I tried to post photos and they won't so I guess you'll have to use the googler.

Edited by superhawk996

9 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

...is the name according to the interwebs.  I found it today in my FIL's stuff while prepping for an estate sale.  In good condition they get $100 and up on eBay, kinda nutty for a tool that most people wouldn't have a real use for.  Seems to be more of a tool collector's thing, but some people report using it a fair bit.

Well shit.  I tried to post photos and they won't so I guess you'll have to use the googler.

Send the pics to Cal, he just worked out the photo posting thing.  :D

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

I may still have some, and hate those compared to the lever.  Are you saying they are worth money for being old?

Some have the thumb wheel on the drive side so they retain the lever instead of the rotating switch.  When I happen to be using a ratchet with the wheel I occasionally use it.

2 minutes ago, Furbird said:

Almost every one I saw had the black handle, mine did too.  Did, 'till I saw a photo of a blue one and decided to clean mine....yup, it's blue.

3 hours ago, ptxyz said:

also check out ratchets with a thumb wheel.  a couple of mine have them, can't recall using 'em much.

s-l1600.jpg

I have one with the thumb wheel but with the square type handle, use the wheel when needed.  But heck, I still have and use my first ratchet set that I bought at K Mart as a teenager. 

Edited by blackhawkxx

I have never seen one of those.  Thanks, superhawk.  I can't think of a place I'd like to have one.  Maybe in woodworking situations, I don't know.

I have a couple ratchets with a thumb wheel, and every time I try to use them, I think "why did I even bother?"

I still have the majority of the first tool set I ever bought.  It looks cheap chinese, but it was cheap japanese.  Some of the sizing is only partially struck.  The plating is still very intact and the only ones I can't use are the ones which were simply worn out from decades of use, or split because I should have been using an impact socket.  There's a lacking of 15 and 18mm in that set, we didn't use them much back then, which I guess is why they are all the rage now.

My thumbs are wonky, one explanation is that they are double jointed.  Not really, but I'm lacking a pivot point or something that works with leverage.  The muscle is stronger than average, but the net result is that I'm weaker than average because I don't have that leverage.  Using a thumb wheel is one situation where it doesn't work very well.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, SwampNut said:

Useless in the days of battery drivers.  Useful in the 60s though.

That's my thought too.  If I expect to break something loose and spin it, or vice versa, enough that I'd grab for this speed ratchet, I'll grab a battery tool instead.  I could see it being useful for spark plugs or something else where you're not supposed to use a power tool, I often use a power tool because fuck the rules.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:04 AM, rockmeupto125 said:

There's a lacking of 15 and 18mm in that set

Guessing you meant 16 and 18.  The fuckwits at Ford love them, as well as 5.5 and 7.  And I finally used my 9mm on something, bet you'd never guess what it was on.

My Excursion quarter panel window, about 6 million nuts.  No wonder the glass people wanted almost $900.  Pick-A-Part got my $15 for the glass.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:09 AM, SwampNut said:

Useless in the days of battery drivers.  Useful in the 60s though.

Some might say that about battery powered dildos. Ex-wife liked the real tool from the 50's.

Carlos, batteries aren't the answer to everything. 😀

On 8/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, SwampNut said:

Sure, but which tool is she still using today?

And which tool are you using?

I just remembered, even the compressor I used to blow up the doll was 220v  Mister battery expert.

Edited by CALCXX