CBR1100XX.org Forum

Multi-Station Table

blackhawkxx

I was reading Arc magazine from Lincoln and there is a project that I could see some of you guy needing and doing.  I tried to find it on-line with no luck.  Like the photos, you could have a chop saw, sander, small table saw that rolls over when not needed to have a table.  Anyway, I thought it was clever, something I haven't seen before.  If anyone wanted to know the specs and materials, let me know.

667347058_Bench1.thumb.jpg.fe077c5aebc6e73be8c543f6b305860f.jpg2041811976_Bench2.thumb.jpg.ccfd32ed0db6d1a70c5842f6cb95b407.jpg

• Upvote 1

I made this one for the small sander and planer.  Most of my other stuff really isn't suitable for the flip thing, or would be less ideal if I did it.  But I'm shooting at high precision and larger tools like an SCMS that takes a huge footprint.  This is a great solution for a casual shop, and there are a million options out there.

1A1243F0-1E3A-4B6E-90C4-CBF556797163_1_105_c.jpeg

8417A915-063F-4D97-B893-1E65B82BCE4D_1_105_c.jpeg

CE4E49E9-CA8F-453F-9B07-2CDAB9E1B3B9_1_105_c.jpeg

12 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I didn't know the size of your machines.

Over the years I've upscaled almost everything, so they no longer really work as portables or flips.  The planer has little reason to scale, and that stupid little Ridgid sander is amazingly great.  In fact EVERY YouTube woodworking video has one in the background somewhere.  It's a joke with Moriah; spot the orange belt/ROS somewhere.

0E88FB0B-9747-4F77-8391-B571939FB832_1_105_c.jpeg

The miter saw is huge, and got its own dedicated station.  I used to have it "loose" and portable on a small stand, but the station adds so much value in accuracy, repeatability, and just being ready for a quick accurate cut in a second.

397A3305-D0F1-4070-9B25-FBE129B5E82D_1_105_c.jpeg

Back to what you posted, a guy could buy the Kreg DIY bench leg kit, and make their own to fit their own space.  Just work up a flip top instead of just a hard top.  Those legs are flexible, reasonably priced, and solid.  I decided to forgo wood legs to make my main work/outfeed space, and cheated with the premade legs.  Solid.  Fantastic to beat on.  The top is 3 x 3/4 MDF and a sacrificial melamine top cover.

image.png

Carlos' Youtube girlfriend built one, the one that got her own TV show with Tim the Tool Man Taylor and Al.

I have 20' of counter with cabinets under it (when mom and dad remodeled the kitchen) and my miter saw is on that badass Home Depot wheel stand with the extendable arms so I am nowhere near running out of room.  Currently have a bunch of car parts on about half the counter space as it is.

Did she ever actually release a video or plan on it?  There was talk in another video, and it was a collaboration with another YouTuber.  It's a ferris wheel type table, which is neat in itself, not an actual flip.  So you can leave stuff on the table that isn't fastened down.  Neat, I didn't think it mattered.  But now I'm annoyed when I flip it and forget stuff on the table.

And she's easy to look at in flannel and denim shorts, but a tight dress and makeup...

Thanks, I didn't know she ran with it.  It was someone else's design, but he's got far fewer followers.  And is not as pleasant to watch (both looks and presentation ability).  Klein something, he's good, but not great to watch.  Added to my watch list.

1 hour ago, Furbird said:

Yours I believe is a spin (lol) on the Crafted Workshop design?

It's a multi-spin, a bunch of people have done similar ones.  My spin is adding magnets for the knobs and doing internal wiring.  The others did external extension cords, fuck that shit.  Probably afraid of liability for people fucking up custom wiring that spins.  And I did put "SPIN ONLY THIS WAY" on both sides.  Because I'm stupid when I'm distracted/focused.

And of course, there's that Ridgid OSS/belt sander.

I thought of this when I was using the machine.  It can apply to a lot of machines.  Most low and midrange tools have very poor dust collection; basically they stick a port on the side and call it dust collection.  You can apply creativity and some cheap standard ports to most of them, like this.  Now it gets nearly all the dust, as measured by my air quality monitor.  I went from red-lighting the shop in ten seconds to a yellow after long usage, sometimes not even that.

840AFD9C-9B55-4DD8-976B-5CD1FDAA6145_1_105_c.jpeg

C3D008E7-E1B0-4A2C-A562-3882D5AD62F2_1_105_c.jpeg

Fucking pussy...just let the sawdust fly as God intended. Breath it in, shuffle through it, blow it off with your mouth. Once a month or so just spend two-days vacuuming and sweeping. Jesus was a carpenter, nothing in the bible about him using a dust collector.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

That set up would be great.  I have a belt sander in my garage that I hate to use with wood because the dust gets all over my bikes.

I'm very happy to have two garages.  The bikes and metalworking, as well as a few other hobbies like reloading, are in the one-car.  The wood is in the two-car.  No cross contamination.  But the new dust collector and vac setup are SUPER efficient.

Maybe it deserves another thread, but I put an Oneida cyclone separator and HEPA Teflon filter on my shop-vac, which is extremely effective.  That is used for the ROS, router, and other small tools like the pocket hole jig.  It could probably handle a small belt ok, though the dust collector is far more effective for high-flow tools like that.  The cyclone traps 99% of stuff so the HEPA filter stays clean longer and flow stays high.

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/wet-dry-vacuum-kits/dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit-b

The dust collector is a bit more elaborate/expensive/big.

I'm thinking that thing you linked and a squirrel cage vented outside my shop and I would never have a dust problem again.  No need for a collector when I could vent to atmosphere and let the ACTUAL squirrels have to deal with what's left that the cyclone doesn't catch.

Well, that's kinda what I have, but a squirrel cage won't move enough nor support any vacuum.  I have a 3HP motor on a 12" vane style fan (great deal at a used commercial store).  It's just enough to reliably move air from 5" backhaul ducts, and 4"/2.5" tool drops.  I have the very large version of the cyclone to capture most things, but no filters.  Just vents out.  And really, very little gets out.  Oneida cyclones are efficient as hell.  There's an RF remote relay for the motor and two remotes in strategic locations for easy reach.  Every tool has a manual gate to close airflow.

The dustbin has a generic distance/level sensor wired to a pair of LEDs in the shop, so it goes from green to flashing bright red when the bin is about 10" from full.  $30 to build.  Oneida sells one for $175.  Mine is better.

0B8DA6C0-624D-408A-B306-18B92BA7714D_1_105_c.jpeg

3684C80D-5BC1-4AA5-9966-BE0CFA6490FB_1_105_c.jpeg

C9968C34-962B-4559-B26C-89D5C9596D65_1_105_c.jpeg

799BB775-7591-41D5-A36A-A2117F88512F_1_105_c.jpeg

F262009E-6D9A-42D2-AF61-60F8810C4C5B_1_105_c.jpeg

When I said "squirrel cage" I meant I have the fan out of a central unit from my neighbors house, not some cheapy HF floor blower.  I think if it provided AC to his 1500 square foot house it should probably take care of dust control for me.  The largest tool I use is my Grizzly table saw.  I bought the accessory kit for the HF unit and it has a plate I can modify to seal over the squirrel cage inlet.  If nothing else it should make for one helluva fire.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dust-collector-accessory-kit-93601.html

I assure you, a squirrel cage will not work.  This is a common question on woodworking forums and the answer is a hearty no.  The HF floor blower might be better.  Every noobie has a line on a cheap AC blower, and no, nice try.

1 minute ago, Furbird said:

The largest tool I use is my Grizzly table saw. 

One of the hardest tools to control dust on.  I've made a bunch of mods to try, the 3HP can't move enough air for it.  People who are serious about DC go to 5HP.  Since I have the door open 100% of the time, I settle for what I have.  And the TS is at the door shooting most crap outward.